Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: If AWD was offered and was in your price range, would you want this option?
Yes, I'd love AWD (for racing, winter, better handling, etc.) 112 28.07%
No (I like kicking out the rear end, adds weight, not necessary, etc.) 175 43.86%
Only if I could turn the AWD option off if I wished to do so. 95 23.81%
Still not sure. Have to think about it. 17 4.26%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Sorry, but I still live in tradition. If there is snow outside, Camaro does't come out...It's that simple for me!

With Snow comes salt, and with salt comes rust and the end of my car...
Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #30
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
So, in the development of the ZETA chassis, GM has undoubtedly included plans to make an AWD variant. I say this because the ZETA chassis is designed to compete with the Chrysler 300C (and its variants) and THEY include an AWD version. You can get a charger, magnum, 300C with an AWD option...

SO, I firmly believe this is in the cards for ZETA as well, which begs the question, could it be carried over to the Camaro?

I'm certain we'll see it on the G8 at some point (they'd be silly not to), and I wonder if they'd be daring and bring it to the Camaro as well.

It'd certainly give those WRX's and EVO's something to think about!

~LSx

Sorry for responding to this so late (I just joined today), but I have to make one comment. I don't believe you can get AWD in the Charger. The 300C and the Magnum, for sure you can get AWD. However, I don't think you can in the Charger. Sorry to nitpick.

Not that it's really relavent anyway. When Dodge brought out the current Charger they changed it's competition by making it a 4-door family sedan. Don't get me wrong, I love the Charger, would love to have one, and would have one already if I wasn't waiting for the 5th gen Camaro.

As for AWD in the Camaro...hell yeah, I say do it.....as has been mentioned here, there are plenty of Camaro lovers in areas where the weather isn't always sunny and 80 degrees...AWD would just expand the market for the Camaro and make it easier to hit those target sales numbers mentioned in another thread.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Hey, The Charger does come with an AWD option in the SXT and RT. As for the Camaro, I'd vote NO, come'on an awsome car like that out in the salt and slush:eek: I mean here in NY they go ape @#$! with the salt. Heck, when I get mine probably won't even take it out in the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Sorry for responding to this so late (I just joined today), but I have to make one comment. I don't believe you can get AWD in the Charger. The 300C and the Magnum, for sure you can get AWD. However, I don't think you can in the Charger. Sorry to nitpick.

Not that it's really relavent anyway. When Dodge brought out the current Charger they changed it's competition by making it a 4-door family sedan. Don't get me wrong, I love the Charger, would love to have one, and would have one already if I wasn't waiting for the 5th gen Camaro.

As for AWD in the Camaro...hell yeah, I say do it.....as has been mentioned here, there are plenty of Camaro lovers in areas where the weather isn't always sunny and 80 degrees...AWD would just expand the market for the Camaro and make it easier to hit those target sales numbers mentioned in another thread.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #32
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I love AWD, I think it's great. GMC has been using it for many years (read: Syclone and Typhoon), and it can work.

That being said, I'm against it being in the Camaro. If for no other reason than lore. The Camaro is NOT supposed to have AWD. I can argue either side of the fence (pros and cons) but still in the end just BELIEVE it shouldn't be an option for the Camaro.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #33
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Hey, The Charger does come with an AWD option in the SXT and RT. As for the Camaro, I'd vote NO, come'on an awsome car like that out in the salt and slush:eek: I mean here in NY they go ape @#$! with the salt. Heck, when I get mine probably won't even take it out in the rain
Right you are Jak...when I checked the Dodge website before, they didn't show that as an available option. I assume it was available before, just not shown on the website.

Thanks for the correction.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #34
shibbychevy15
I'm your Huckleberry!

Drives: 2001 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Sorry, but I still live in tradition. If there is snow outside, Camaro does't come out...It's that simple for me!

With Snow comes salt, and with salt comes rust and the end of my car...

I agree and would love to be able to do such a thing but I've gotta say there is no way I can afford 30K+ for a car that I drive 3 months a year here in the PAC Northwest or 5 months out of the year in my home state of OH. So unless someone will donate 15K to me to meet half the price, then I will promise to drive it half the year!

~Cheers!!
shibbychevy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
My Car will not see the snow...EVER, if I can help it. If it does it will be for one year and it will be washed EVERY DAY........

Having said that, and knowing that I love AWD, I agree with most of you here, not on a Camaro...It CAN have it...the new transmissions GM is coming out with are very versatile, but again, not in a Camaro...
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
HammerClutch

Drives: Dodge Neon :(
AWD on the Camaro... Thats would be nice only if it did have a on/off switch. I agree with SoFlawz. Though i think they should also put the exhaust on the side bottom skirts.
HammerClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #37
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
I'd like to revisit this topic! I noticed our Fbodfather did not chime in on this subject, maybe he can shead some light on this, so we can put this to bed forever, or keep the hope alive.

Id love to see AWD...living in the Great Pacific Northwest (seattle)...Id love to pull up to a Stang or Challenger..and just shread them in the wet conditions!

Fbodfather...We need your help?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #38
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The first thing I do, after starting the car (before turning the radio, A/C, buckle my belt, etc.) is turn the traction control off. I'll take my car in all it's RWD glory!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #39
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
I am all for AWD in the G8 and other cars, but not in a Camaro.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #40
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
The first thing I do, after starting the car (before turning the radio, A/C, buckle my belt, etc.) is turn the traction control off. I'll take my car in all it's RWD glory!!!
I admit there’s nothing like putting the gas pedal to the floor and getting sideways in a RWD beast of a car...

But for sheer performance AWD is KICK AZZ...You'd be amazed how much quicker and the improvement to the handling AWD would bring to the Camaro.

I’m begging and pleading they offer AWD as an option with a On/Off switch.

So I can either switch it on to shred the wet streets of Seattle, or turn it off to burn a serious patch of rubber (When it's dry) whenever I want.

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #41
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I voted for if it can be turned off, but I'd like to change it to no. It would add cost and weight and hurt economy. I plan on using it as a daily driver so I would rather have the mileage than the performacne. I don't care about having normal acceleration in the rain. It won't help with braking which I consider more important in bad weather. I won't drive it in the snow so that gets taken out too. On top of all that, I wouldn't be able to do a burnout with all wheel drive.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #42
Splicerguy

Drives: 2002 trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
I am all for AWD in the G8 and other cars, but not in a Camaro.
I think a G8 with AWD might possibly be the perfect sedan...
Splicerguy is offline   Reply With Quote