Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #155
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherNeck13 View Post
Look fellas. I did not pay 37k to "fix" a brand new car.
I agree with you, but this info can be very helpful in getting to the bottom of this L99 power loss.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #156
LeatherNeck13

Drives: now riding a 2008 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I agree with you, but this info can be very helpful in getting to the bottom of this L99 power loss.
This data is on time.
LeatherNeck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #157
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
these tables explain all the L99 issues, first the shift points, check out how soon you are in 5th and 6th gear and how soon the lock up converter comes on:

and here, check out the wide open throttle tcc apply speeds, if the converter is locked at this slow of speeds at wot you will not have any performance:

Camaro1, some constructive critisizm here(not knocking what you are saying, just trying to correct the claims a bit), this is not true about the torque converter locking hurting performance, it is the complete opposite. When the converter is locked, you will be putting out more horsepower at the rear wheels in an automatic transmission.

Your stock torque converter has a twin disc lock up clutch, so the stock calibration will command it to lock up at WOT in some scenarios which actually makes it faster. The thing you can not see in HPTuners and probably better off some people can't because if you alter it you can really mess things up is the PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) functions. The lock up transitions are pulsed in some secnarios making it lock up by a certain percentage, so it is not always locked 100%, but we do not have access to these parameters which is why if you try to run a Precision triple disc lock up converter it will shutter and not run so good on the street unless you tell it not to lock up anymore.

Please read my post here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=29771&page=2

for some more information on why you may be experiencing poor performnce out of your L99 Camaro.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #158
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
somewhat true,, but if your converter is locked up at slow speeds you are no longer multiplying torque
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #159
mike@newera

It makes more power through the entire rpm band with the converter locked, just doesn't come off the line as hard if it is locked there, which the stock calibration obviously doesn't have it locked there.

A race car would not want a converter locked up like this, but these guys are having problems with their stock camaro, this function actually makes their stock camaro faster. I have done a ton of testing with our project G8 (this I tested/learned over a year ago), and it has the same trans functions(slightly different trans tune), and I tried runing it unlocked down the track entirely, guess what I ran 1.5 tenths slower and 1.5 miles per hour slower with the stock converter last year. I've been tuning these 6 speed autos for a while and have done a lot of testing. I just don't want incorrect info posted online because then my customers are going to ask me to do the wrong thing due to something online. It's great that you are putting up info for people to learn, I am just simply correcting an incorrect accusation based on the testing I have done so noone is mislead, not trying to make you look bad or anything.

Guys please read my posts in the other thread as well.

Last edited by mike@newera; 06-28-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #160
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Leatherneck,

You said you have to know how to ride a bike to get it to perform, same goes for a high HP car. It takes a lot of learning to get a 4k lb car, IRS, 400 HP, A6 car down the track with a decent time. Cant just buckle up and take it to sub 13.5s. Got to learn what the car likes and how itll react.

One of the other guys had the exact same problem as you and he complained enough to get it fixed.

Again, guys with a "slow" L99 just give it time. GM probably put a SUPER ugly tune in the car just because they didnt have much time with it and will update the PCM and TCM sometime soon with enough people complaining.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #161
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Mike: What is the best technique to launch the car to have the converter operating at optimal performace. Do you think some of these slow times can be attributed to the launch shifting the converter to a different performace?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #162
mike@newera

It's not going to make a huge deal, a good launch verses an average launch in the auto with the stock converter is maybe 1 tenth of a second, a bad launch is unpredictable I guess. The launch shouldn't have anything to do with any of the shifting unless you load it so high it spins all the way through first gear (almost like a brake stand).