Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
Think Hard And Long About ILE Pkg

After doing a lot of research and study on the camaro with ILE pkg , if its a daily driver , don't do it. The wonderful thing about the ZL1 is the suspension. It will adjust to how your driving. It could be used as daily driver without beating you up. With the 1LE , there is only one ride "HARD"

Last edited by TJR1952; 09-07-2012 at 11:27 PM.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Have you driven one?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
I have driven a ZL1 , and know what it can do. The problem is there will be a lot of members ordering the 1LE without feeling the hard ride it needs in order to handle the way it does on the track.

Last edited by TJR1952; 09-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I've done suspension mods to my SS and the ride is hard. I drive it to work frequently and have taken some long trips too. It really doesn't bother me
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1952 View Post
I have driven a ZL1 , and know what it can do. The problem is there will be a lot of members ordering the ILE without feeling the hard ride it needs in order to handle the way it does on the track.
Oh, well that makes some sense. Reminds of the "I turned my TC off and wrecked" threads. These cars are beast and caution is advised.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Monte Mac

Drives: 13 1LE, 17 Sierra, 84 MonteSS,
I agree one should "drive before they buy". I feel this way about any car. But I fully intend to take mine to the track and only ocassionally drive it to work. I will still drive before I buy even with that in mind just because it makes no sense to make such a huge finacial decision without testing it out. But I'm ok with some harshness, I'm sure its better than the old C4 vettes, those were like a go kart with solid rubber wheels and no suspension.

[B]Ordered 3/8/13
TPW 4/15/13
Built 4/15/13
Bayed 4/18/13
Released from QC HOLD 5/22/13
PERMAGRIN INSTALLED 5/30/13
Monte Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1952 View Post
After doing a lot of research and study on the camaro with ILE pkg , if its a daily driver , don't do it. The wonderful thing about the ZL1 is the suspension. It will adjust to how your driving. It could be used as daily driver without beating you up. With the ILE , there is only one ride "HARD"
I am sorry, but why would you make such a statement without having driven one? What research did you do to make that call? You read one review from a guy that drives a ZL1 and you ran with it. MR is whole other level.

GM knows how to make a car ride and handle nice, I am certain we will all enjoy the ride. The boss vs. 1le comparison (automobile mag?) also states the 1LE drives very nice on the roads. Other first drives had no issues with ride at Gingerman, not the smoothest track in the world. Finally, spring rates seem to be same as SS, damping only difference, so the ride will not be THAT different.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
If it was a WOMAN, I'd test drive it first before committing :P

I'm "all in" for a 1LE as a daily driver; sight unseen. We're all very aware that it will have a tighter ride. It's not like were in a slammed civic with zero travel. Those who wait will kick themselves IMO as the benefits will FAR outweigh a lil rougher daily ride.

I for one like to feel the road a little bit more anyways. It somehow make me feel more connected with the road than driving along and not feeling a single bump or subtleties in the road.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Can't ride Any harder than my '85 and '87 iROCs did. And if it does the body structure is 3 times stiffer so there is NO creaking and squeaking and the general trashy feeling 3rd gens had-- so I could put up to with the hard ride.

Last edited by b4z; 08-31-2012 at 04:51 PM.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
If it was a WOMAN, I'd test drive it first before committing :P

I'm "all in" for a 1LE as a daily driver; sight unseen. We're all very aware that it will have a tighter ride. It's not like were in a slammed civic with zero travel. Those who wait will kick themselves IMO as the benefits will FAR outweigh a lil rougher daily ride.

I for one like to feel the road a little bit more anyways. It somehow make me feel more connected with the road than driving along and not feeling a single bump or subtleties in the road.
Good one. GM says "we are giving 2% of customers a car for the track", if people are daily driving and worried about ride you shouldn't be getting a track orineted car in the first place.

Keep in mind this car is from a company that has two mode exhaust (cares about NVH), acoustic treatments on a track car on the hood, engine cover, intake cover, trunk lid, laminated glass, a 600hp car without supercharger whine etc. etc . etc. They also added larger sway bars to it (handling), stickier tires (handling), which don't really impact ride that much, hence SS ride.

I am certain it will ride close to a SS.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
If you did a lot of research you should know that its 1LE not ILE.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
What makes these 1LE's, so called "a harsh ride", is the monotube shocks. Factory SS suspensions today use twin tubes for comfort. I've always upgraded my Camaro's with Bilsteins shocks and struts, and the ride is hard but controllable. It was comfortable enough for me but not for passengers. But then again, I mainly used it for patrol work. Used the sedan for groceries. Now I drive a Charger R/T and upgraded with hotchkis and koni's (which are twin tubes). Those that know, twin tubes are good for mild performance, which you get firmer ride but not harsh. This was not good for my taste, it still felt soft. My driving style is not like the average person. So i'm switching to Bilsteins again. Hope this helps some of those that chose to buy the 1LE.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Good one. GM says "we are giving 2% of customers a car for the track", if people are daily driving and worried about ride you shouldn't be getting a track orineted car in the first place.

Keep in mind this car is from a company that has two mode exhaust (cares about NVH), acoustic treatments on a track car on the hood, engine cover, intake cover, trunk lid, laminated glass, a 600hp car without supercharger whine etc. etc . etc. They also added larger sway bars to it (handling), stickier tires (handling), which don't really impact ride that much, hence SS ride.

I am certain it will ride close to a SS.
Comfort wise a bit less, agreed close though

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
If you did a lot of research you should know that its 1LE not ILE.
HA I didn't even spot that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
What makes these 1LE's, so called "a harsh ride", is the monotube shocks. Factory SS suspensions today use twin tubes for comfort. I've always upgraded my Camaro's with Bilsteins shocks and struts, and the ride is hard but controllable. It was comfortable enough for me but not for passengers. But then again, I mainly used it for patrol work. Used the sedan for groceries. Now I drive a Charger R/T and upgraded with hotchkis and koni's (which are twin tubes). Those that know, twin tubes are good for mild performance, which you get firmer ride but not harsh. This was not good for my taste, it still felt soft. My driving style is not like the average person. So i'm switching to Bilsteins again. Hope this helps some of those that chose to buy the 1LE.
I want to close up the wheel "gap" without making it even more "harsh". Also do not want to put some huge ass wheels on it either(staying with stocker 20s off the ZL1). Think I might have to either go with coils that have camber adjustments etc or springs (maybe 2"F and 1.5"R) and have a kit installed to help with alignment/wheel wear. I DONT want to make this ride any rougher but I think it will be fine
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
2008yellow

Drives: 2013 blue
Zo6 ride comparison

I have had different z's over the last 8 years. They ride firm but very controlled, I call it taunt, I think that is a word?
Anyway, I would never tell anyone to not buy a ZO6 Vette because the ride is fun. I have a 2SS 2013 and another on order but don't want to wait a long time for that option. Don' like the hood really.
Getting back into the muscle car feel of the Camaro and out of the Vette until the new body style, C7, shows up. If you didn't know, prices are good now on C5 and C6 Corvettes. Skip
2008yellow is offline   Reply With Quote