Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Is this a flaw in the cruise control system, SS/RS/M6.

I use my cruise control all the time and this is the 2nd time this little quirk has happened. I have the cruise control set and approaching a stop sign so I push the clutch in a few inches and move the stick from 6th gear into neutral and the cruise control does not disengage. When the car starts to slow the engine RPM'S increase so the cruise can get the car back up to the speed setting, except the car is in neutral so the engine rev's almost instantly to red line and the rev limiter kicks in.

The first time this happened I hit the brake pedal which disengaged the cruise control. The 2nd time it happened was today and I had the radio on, the sun roof open, and the windows down so I didn't hear the engine revving right away. I looked down at the tach and it went all the way up until the rev limiter kicked in, then went down and right back up to the red zone again. Surprising enough the cruise control did not shut down even when the tach red lined and the rev limiter did it's job. I quickly hit the brake and stopped at the stop sign, but I sat there for about a minute trying to digest what just happened.

I know if you hit push the clutch in it disengages the cruise control, but not when you only push it in a few inches. This is obviously a flaw for those of us with M6's. It's also a problem that the cruise control does not shut off even when the car hits the rev limiter.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by OHIOSS; 08-06-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Edit
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
How is this a "serious" flaw? As you stated, the cc disengages when you properly engage the clutch. Use the clutch as it was designed to be used, by fully engaging it, or have the presence of mind to hit the cancel button. Cruise control is not intended to be used in city/stop and go driving as clearly stated in the owners manual. You have read the owners manual haven't you? Sounds to me like the flaw is in the driver not the car.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Yeah, try driving your car correctly and push the clutch all the way to the floor when shifting.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
That's not a flaw. A clutch is designed to be used only two ways: all the way up or all the way down. Not pressed in "a few inches".

I don't mean to sound rude and appologize if I offend, but your driving technique is the flaw. This is a user error.
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Whatever, I guess the cruise should not disengage when the tach red lines too? Yep, you are right it's all me. I don't know how I could have been so stupid to think that this wouldn't turn into a "you don't know how to drive, it's all your fault" thread.

Where does it state you should push the clutch all the way in when you shift? I'm sure that everyone with a stick pushes the clutch all the way to the floor everytime they shift. I've only been driving for 30+ years and owned a manual transmission in several cars, never had an at-fault accident in my life but when driving the Camaro you must have special skills.

I can't believe I forgot why I don't post anything in the forum any more....but I was quickly reminded.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
Are you serious??
No one uses cruise control unless they are on the highway and not doing a lot of shifting.
Then, if you have to downshift you should also be on the brakes which will disengage the cruise control.
Actually, I am surprised that GM even puts cruise control on a manual car.
I guess even on an automatic, you can accidentally bump the shifter and knock it into neutral or a lower gear and over rev the engine.
Bottom line is you should not be shifting with cruise control on.

The owner's manual does say "Cruise control can be dangerous where you cannot drive safely at a steady speed. Cruise control can be dangerous on slippery roads. "
The owner's manual cannot cover every situation, but it just makes sense to tap the brake to disengage the cruise control before doing anything else. Computers cannot compensate for everything.

Last edited by Texhawk; 08-06-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
Whatever, I guess the cruise should not disengage when the tach red lines too? Yep, you are right it's all me. I don't know how I could have been so stupid to think that this wouldn't turn into a "you don't know how to drive, it's all your fault" thread.

Where does it state you should push the clutch all the way in when you shift? I'm sure that everyone with a stick pushes the clutch all the way to the floor everytime they shift. I've only been driving for 30+ years and owned a manual transmission in several cars, never had an at-fault accident in my life but when driving the Camaro you must have special skills.

I can't believe I forgot why I don't post anything in the forum any more....but I was quickly reminded.
There's no need to get upset. The CC sensor just won't pick up the fact that you've shifted unless you give the clutch a little more oopmf, that's all. I'm not sure it's a 'flaw' in the system, it just means you need to modify your driving habits a little bit.

That said -- you can take it to the dealer and tell them about it, have them open a case on the car. And the engineering team will come across it. If they consider this a problem (perhaps something was overlooked) then that's the most direct way you can let them know of your issue.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Where did I say that I wasn't on the freeway? Where did I say I was doing a lot of shifting? I'm sorry, I didn't know cruise control was only to be used on the freeway. I was going 60MPH and coming up to a stop sign, I put the car in neutral to coast/slow down before I hit the brake. Why do I have to hit the brake at the same time I push the clutch in? Is that in the owners manual too? I must have missed it.

Every day I read about what people don't like about their Camaro's, or another stupid "what is your cars name" thread. I simply bring up something that I do think is a flaw in the cruise control system.

Sorry I should have posted...what did you name your car? Is it male or female?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE

Way to over react.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
Prozac for everybody.
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
EWR

Drives: Soon:'11 Camaro Now:'01 Durango R/T
Look, don't get so upset. Your the one titling your thread "Serious flaw in cruise control system, SS/RS/M6". That's alot of people going"Oh s**t! What's wrong with my car!" There have several REAL issues discovered and fixed due to this forum. If you think GM tested this car, think about all the members here who drive it everyday, in everyway imaginable, in all its configurations. THAT'S testing! How about titling it "Has anyone experienced this with their CC" Your inquiry probably been recieved a little different that way. Just push the clutch in further and know that that's how your car works. All fixed.
EWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Well, there are no stop signs on the freeway.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
lol whats going on in here?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
EWR

Drives: Soon:'11 Camaro Now:'01 Durango R/T
"Sorry I should have posted...what did you name your car? Is it male or female?"

Seriously, that is a true and funny point.
EWR is offline   Reply With Quote