Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #71
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
GM would have to raise the price of every vehicle to include one, plus they lose out on the money from the induction system cleaning.
Unless a dealership is using geniune GM chemical for the service (doubtful), GM doesn't make a single cent on this service. The dealership does.

You are correct in stating that a catch can would be an added expense (that would be passed on to the consumer). Kind of like a steering wheel, tires, and seat belts. So why then are those things included with the car you purchased, since it adds to the cost?

Hint: they're necessary.

I really didn't want to revisit this thread, but to anyone whom I may have offended with my earlier "snake oil" comment, I sincerely apologize. Perhaps a poor choice of words, but I still maintain that it should be treated as an enhancement accessory, not as a necessity as some would lead you to believe.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #72
sprint17

Drives: 2012 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
85% of your manifold was gone?
Lol, my bad 85% of the deposits on the valves where gone.
sprint17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #73
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I'll never convince everyone and it is a free world, but I tear all types of motors down constantly doing builds and I see one extreme to the other....but one thing for sure is ALL DI motors have this issue. Do a google seach on Gunk in DI motos and see all the tech articles.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
BLUTHRU

Drives: IMP Blue 2012 2LT/RS
So I have 1150 miles on my LFX. If I get a can right away, will I still need to have some type of cleaning done?
BLUTHRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #75
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUTHRU View Post
So I have 1150 miles on my LFX. If I get a can right away, will I still need to have some type of cleaning done?
no

If you want to do something, once a year put a bottle of Chevron with Techron top engine cleaner in the tank. Run that tank to empty, then refill with premium and change the oil. Doing that once a year and using quality gas keeps most engines just fine.

A little carbon in an engine is no biggie. If most people saw their piston tops and chambers, they'd freak out at the carbon build up. Just the way gas engines look after some miles, if it runs great - extensive cleaning processes are a waste of time and money.

I just had a 3000 mile SS motor apart doing heads and cam. Pistons and chambers had tons of carbon build up to scrape off. And that car had a catch can. No biggie, I think that owner just needs to floor it more often and use the techron stuff once in a while.

Get the catch can.... and don't sweat a little crud here and there. Drive and enjoy. Often working on stuff that really isn't having a problem is just asking for a problem.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #76
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I installed my RX catch can 2 days ago. Miracle of miracles, I'm finally able to sleep through the night.

My dog came home.

My wife left!

This thing is a life changer people.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #77
BLUTHRU

Drives: IMP Blue 2012 2LT/RS
Thanks for your advice. Will do
BLUTHRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #78
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
I installed my RX catch can 2 days ago. Miracle of miracles, I'm finally able to sleep through the night.

My dog came home.

My wife left!

This thing is a life changer people.
Lmao
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote