Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Question GM flexible earnings card

Does anyone know how much you actually need to spend on this card to gain a reasonable amount of cash to use towards a new Camaro? and do you know if you gain cash or points or whatever the incentive is count from balance transfers? Cause I only have one credit card and was thinking why not have a credit card that would actually help me out towards the Camaro. Thanks in advance for any info.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
They have such a thing? If so, I will hound you until I get this knowledge from you on where to aquire such a card. =)
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I heard someone talking about that not too long ago. But, I remember them saying you could only redeem your "points" or cash back on certain vehicles and you couldn't use any other offers, etc. In other words, there was a catch. Now...I don't know that for sure. But, I'm pretty sure that's how it went. I'm sure someone can get this answer soon for you.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I just was approved for the GM extended family card yesterday, but the flexible earnings is pretty similar. As I understand it, you get 3% back off any purchase you make towards a GM vehicle. The limitation is that there is a redemption limit. Usually the nicer cars have a lower maximum redemption amount.

Keep in mind that it can't be combined with an employee or supplier discount. If you have one of those, get the extended family that gives you only 1% back but an unlimited redemption amount and can be combined with your employee/supplier discount.

I hope I got all that right. Oh, and it's cash towards the car, not points. I'm pretty sure balance transfers don't count.

Last edited by Croathlete; 11-09-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
It was probably me Tag.

Yes, GM has a credit card that you can get. It is just a MasterCard. But, being a GM MasterCard, you can earn "points" which when redeemed at the dealership, convert 1-for-1 into dollars that just come right off the top of the price. (I don't remember the conversion for "how much you spend vs how many points you earn").

However, they have some restrictions when redeeming those points. When I bought my '99 Silverado, I could only use a maximum of like 1800 points to redeem. Our '03 Tahoe we could only use 2000 points. And for my '06 Silverado, I could only use 1500 points. But, there are certain vehicles for which you aren't allowed to use points from your GM Card towards the purchase. I'm pretty sure you couldn't use any points on the Vette, the XLR, and the Solstice (this was like a year ago, so it may not be the same now), and I won't be surprised if you can't redeem points on the Camaro when it comes out.

Go to www.gmcard.com to apply for a card and to read about it.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post

I'm pretty sure you couldn't use any points on the Vette, the XLR, and the Solstice (this was like a year ago, so it may not be the same now), and I won't be surprised if you can't redeem points on the Camaro when it comes out.
The Corvette does have a $1,000 redemption allowance. That's why I'm banking on the Camaro having at least that much.

https://www.gmflexcard.com/GMFlexCar...les/lookup.jsp
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I might just have to look into one of those...it's not like I'm gonna be buying anything but GM vehicles anyways....
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
It was probably me Tag.

Yes, GM has a credit card that you can get. It is just a MasterCard. But, being a GM MasterCard, you can earn "points" which when redeemed at the dealership, convert 1-for-1 into dollars that just come right off the top of the price. (I don't remember the conversion for "how much you spend vs how many points you earn").

However, they have some restrictions when redeeming those points. When I bought my '99 Silverado, I could only use a maximum of like 1800 points to redeem. Our '03 Tahoe we could only use 2000 points. And for my '06 Silverado, I could only use 1500 points. But, there are certain vehicles for which you aren't allowed to use points from your GM Card towards the purchase. I'm pretty sure you couldn't use any points on the Vette, the XLR, and the Solstice (this was like a year ago, so it may not be the same now), and I won't be surprised if you can't redeem points on the Camaro when it comes out.

Go to www.gmcard.com to apply for a card and to read about it.
Maybe you have a different card than I do...

Mine is the GM Flexible Earnings card (www.gmflexcard.com). I don't have points, just earnings. My earnings are 1% in cash (only redeemable in units of $100) or 3% towards a GM vehicle. I'm not sure what the restrictions are in terms of the Camaro, but I figured I might as well take the chance. I'm going to spend money anyway, and I'm going to get the car.

Here's the info on redemption allowances per GM vehicle.

https://www.gmflexcard.com/GMFlexCar...eId=GMFLEXCARD
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
Pencil.Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNut View Post
Does anyone know how much you actually need to spend on this card to gain a reasonable amount of cash to use towards a new Camaro? and do you know if you gain cash or points or whatever the incentive is count from balance transfers? Cause I only have one credit card and was thinking why not have a credit card that would actually help me out towards the Camaro. Thanks in advance for any info.
To answer your actual question:

Seeing as how you can redeem $1000 for the '08 Vette, I would assume the same would hold true for the Camaro. In that case, you would have to spend $33,333.33 in order for 3% to equal $1,000 exactly. I know there's no way in hell that I'm going to reach that by 1st quarter of '09.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

I wonder which card will give you more within that time span...I can't really see much difference between the two...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
Maybe you have a different card than I do...

Mine is the GM Flexible Earnings card (www.gmflexcard.com). I don't have points, just earnings. My earnings are 1% in cash (only redeemable in units of $100) or 3% towards a GM vehicle. I'm not sure what the restrictions are in terms of the Camaro, but I figured I might as well take the chance. I'm going to spend money anyway, and I'm going to get the car.

Here's the info on redemption allowances per GM vehicle.

https://www.gmflexcard.com/GMFlexCar...eId=GMFLEXCARD

I think it is a different card. Same idea, just a different way of going about it.

Mine was just a regular credit card. I've had it since '92. I maxed out on points awhile back, so I've stopped using it. But, I am going to get to redeem some of those points soon.....we're probably getting an Acadia or an Enclave (trading in the Tahoe), so I'll redeem some then.

Of course, then I'll have to start using it again to make sure I have plenty to use on the Camaro (if possible).

Thanks for the tip on this option as well.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
Pencil.Fight

How much would you have to spend on your card in order to get $1,000 towards a car? I'm just curious as to why GM even has two different cards available if there's no real difference?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

So with both cards, you just buy stuff, and it accumulates "points" towards a GM vehicle.

The one card made it sound like you buy cars, and get points towards more cars
Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
Pencil.Fight

Right, they're both just regular credit cards with a rewards program. That's why I'm wondering why they go through the overhead of having two different cards that do the same thing?