Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Should we trade in for convertible?

Ok well some of you know not to long ago we bought a used 2ss/rs. Well after seeing the pics of the vert, my dad thought about selling it and buying a vert. I told him if we want to sell, it has to be now as the market is starting to go down. What do you all think. Looking at a IOM 2ss/rs with polished wheels. Should we do it or just keep the coupe?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
Sure why not sell if get the Vert, but then the Z28 comes out in 2012 then you'll have to sell the Vert, then in a few years something new will come out and you'll have to sell the Z28. Its a visious cycle. If you like what you have keep it brother, if you got that feeling in your stomach that you're missing out on the Vert, then you're right sell now and forever be happy with it. good luck with your decesion.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would do it if it doesn't mean losing a ton of money.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
73camarolt

Ok well my dad is not big into supercharged car like that. So probably wont trade in for a z28. Honestly if anything we got such a good deal on it, we will either be even or make a few thousand. I think we might do it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Only you can answer that question. Do you like the vert that much better than the coupe to take that big of a financial hit? Only you know how much you like the vert and how much money you have.

Keep this in mind, usually the largest drop in value of a car is in the first few months. Do you want to do that twice in a 2 year period? If your justification is financial, you're better off keeping the car you have.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
I'm confused as to what you mean by "the market is starting to go down." As with any car it is a depreciating asset. As time passes the value of your car will continue to drop unless it is deemed a collectible car at some point in the future (after production stops) also assuming you drive the car every mile drops the value. This has always happened and will always happen. So my question is by the market is starting to go down are you saying the car is going to depreciate faster than it has been? What does this mean?

As to if you should sell your car to buy the vert, if you are looking at this as purely a financial transaction then probably not, depends though how bought the car and how you would sell it. If you sell to a dealership then selling means you will loose money. If you recently bought private party and are selling private party, then assuming you bought the car at a good price you should be able to sell it near what you paid, maybe it won't hurt you to sell it. If you bought retail at a dealer and are selling wholesale atr a dealer you are loosing thousands, no you shouldn't.

All this being said, Camaro's are not a smart financial move to begin with so this is probably more of an emotional decision. Can you reasonable afford it, is it what you really want and not just a passing impulse to change from the coupe to the vert? If you say yes to both then go for it.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
73camarolt

We will most likely make our money back on our 2010. We got it for a hell of a deal. I just dont know if i want to throw an extra 12k down for the vert.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
If you are not sure, don't do it. You will loose money buying a new car, sounds like you are happy with the current car. Why spend money on something you are not sure if you want. Will you sometimes see the vert and wish you had it, yes, also if you get the vert there will be times you wish you had the coupe.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Bill 1ss/rs m6

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS M6
Personally I don't like the vert much. I mean, it's bad ass and all but one of my favorite attributes of the camaro is the b pillar into the rear end. To me, it defines the car. The vert just doesn't have that in my opinion. Had to cut it all up to fit the top. Lessens the effect to me. But hey, I don't make your payments and would, of course, still call you a brother of mine!!
Bill 1ss/rs m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
keep the coupe ,,your pops won't like getting in and out of that vert to get the top up everytime he wants it up or down,.open the trunk, unfold the cover...put it on....oops nice out..ok stop the car, put take off cover..get in car . put the roof down, open trunk put cover in....and on and on....wait till gm fixes the torneau roof situation...
but thats my opinion...))
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
We will most likely make our money back on our 2010. We got it for a hell of a deal. I just dont know if i want to throw an extra 12k down for the vert.

I'm confused, are you buying the car or is your dad ? Or is it a joint purchase ?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss=scuba steve View Post
I'm confused, are you buying the car or is your dad ? Or is it a joint purchase ?
Well i was planning on throwing in some money for the car. But me and him were just talking and we decided we would rather just put the money into the mods on the car. The coupe is my dads but if we were to buy a vert i would have had to put some money in the pot. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
Ok well some of you know not to long ago we bought a used 2ss/rs. Well after seeing the pics of the vert, my dad thought about selling it and buying a vert. I told him if we want to sell, it has to be now as the market is starting to go down. What do you all think. Looking at a IOM 2ss/rs with polished wheels. Should we do it or just keep the coupe?
The change in value from now to when you can buy a convertible won't be enough to make up for the taxes you'll get dinged for on a straight purchase with cash.

If you want to buy the convertible, I'd recommend a trade-in. If the vehicle is in good condition, you shouldn't get beat up too badly.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
1DERZ SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
$12,000 for a vert seems like alot for that change. I personally wouldn't do, but then again I have mine the way I want it.

In the end, its your decision and our opinions don't really matter.

2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Came home on 11/13/2009
2011 Silverado 2500 HD Crew LTZ
11/17/2010
1DERZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote