Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
1LECameron

Drives: Red Hot 2SS 1LE
Speed Engineering Headers

Anyone have any experience with "Speed Engineering 2010+ Camaro Longtube Headers 1 7/8" Stainless". Im thinking of buying them because they are around 400$. Can anyone comment on their quality or fitment? Also does it matter if they are ceramic coated or not?

They would be going on my 2015 1LE, don't track it yet.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
You can use the search function and find there are a lot of threads covering these headers.

Everyone seems to like them and not have many issues. You don't need ceramic coating.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
There are tons of threads on this lately. Speed Engineering headers will get the job done. However, if you require cats for emissions or inspections you're better off going Stainless Power or Texas Speed. The welds aren't the prettiest and you'll want to get different clamps than what come with them, but they're a cheap way to get long tubes on the car.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
You can use the search function and find there are a lot of threads covering these headers.

Everyone seems to like them and not have many issues. You don't need ceramic coating.
I found the main tube weld to be off center and the merge spike not center. I didn't like the headers so I returned them.

I then purchased a different brand and had them coated.

Please refrain from saying everyone when you can only speak for you.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
There are tons of threads on this lately. Speed Engineering headers will get the job done. However, if you require cats for emissions or inspections you're better off going Stainless Power or Texas Speed. The welds aren't the prettiest and you'll want to get different clamps than what come with them, but they're a cheap way to get long tubes on the car.
Pyro is right. If you want/need cats, go with TSP/SP. If cats arent an issue, go with Speed Engineering. I have them and can vouch that they do the job just fine.

Here is some of the threads the search provided for Speed Engineering:

Thread 1
Thread 2 (Mine)
Thread 3
Thread 4
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
I found the main tube weld to be off center and the merge spike not center. I didn't like the headers so I returned them.

I then purchased a different brand and had them coated.

Please refrain from saying everyone when you can only speak for you.
I dont even have this brand of headers, I bought Kooks. Just going off everyone's praise as of late on the forums. I also said "seems". There have been several threads on these headers.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 01-10-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
I dont even have this brand of headers, I bought Kooks. Just going off everyone's praise as of late on the forums. There have been several threads on these headers.
True I am the only person on some of the posts stating that I did not like them.
Some of the posts people made saying as good as brand x is just not true. I actually purchased Stainless Engineering headers based on that statement. I would not put them on my car based on what I received.

In the end I purchased Kooks also and found the product to my liking. I don't like the price but found in the end for me well worth it. I also coated my headers based on others in my club stating they wish they had and for the price well worth it to me. I just don't want someone to read as I did "just as good" only to find out that they are not.

Nuff said for me.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

I totally understand and agree. That's basically the same logic that led me to buy kooks. Most of the people that have purchased speed engineering seem to be happy with their purchase. At the end of the day they are still budget headers.

More to come.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Can someone explain to me why you can't have cats with these?

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrytt View Post
Can someone explain to me why you can't have cats with these?
They don't come with cats. So add 2-400 for cats, and the tsp would work out to be cheaper. 1 shipping cost vs 2, guaranteed to fit together because they come from the same place etc.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
camrytt

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Ahhhhh ok I thought it was something mechanical not economical. Thanks!

Current: 2017 ZL1 A10
previous: 2019 1SS A10
previous: '14 L99, CAI intake, vmax ported tb, e85 kit, stage 2 cnc heads, speed engineering long tubes, custom high flows, resonated x pipe, muffler delete, qtp cut outs, gpi ss3 vvt Cam, zl1 pump and injectors, fti triple disc, mayhem motorsports trans cooler and tune, ngk spark plugs +red msd wires, 3.91 gears.
Past: '12 LFX, full bolt ons + E85, 302hp/267tq
camrytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
mma

Drives: 1LE
i got them and like them a lot. if you do get them, be sure to get the o2 extensions. you do not need the gaskets, can reuse old.

this is also very recommended as the clamps with the kit suck. i had to reclamp it with these because i had a leak.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can reuse the rear factory clamps
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Physical build qualities between budget and expensive headers is what again.....dont bother with the stainless quality is different either. Thats bs. Fitment seems to be fine on the budget headers as well so thats out. Welds...havnt read a single thread about welds breaking on a 5th gen camaro maybe..but i havn"t read it. Performance? Headers seem to make power right a cross the board....again I havnt read any posts about rwhp being low for certain headers. So that brings me back to my original question. ....somebody tell me the difference.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Physical build qualities between budget and expensive headers is what again.....dont bother with the stainless quality is different either. Thats bs. Fitment seems to be fine on the budget headers as well so thats out. Welds...havnt read a single thread about welds breaking on a 5th gen camaro maybe..but i havn"t read it. Performance? Headers seem to make power right a cross the board....again I havnt read any posts about rwhp being low for certain headers. So that brings me back to my original question. ....somebody tell me the difference.
I'll tell you the difference. Its called quality. Let me ask you something, why do you have a camaro? You could have easily took that money and bought the powertrain of a camaro and put it in a beat clunker, but you didn't. It would have had the powertrain reliablility of the camaro and would have put down the same power but it just wouldn't have looked as good. Nor would it have that awe factor of being a brand new factory build car.

There is your difference. Performance isn't everything, if I was hiring someone I wouldn't just look at how well they did the job but also how they hold themselves. By that I mean, his or her manners, how they dress, their hygiene, etc.
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote