Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Internet Speeds, Questions...

I upgraded our internet to 100Mbps download speed. I ran a speed test through the wireless computer and we were only getting 13.4Mbps. Checked out my hardware and the modem was a DOCSIS 2.0 and the router was also an outdated one, and only good for maybe one computer using internet. So, I went to best buy and purchased a Netgear N600 C3700 Modem/Router combo. Got it all hooked up, called my internet provider and all was good to go. I ran another speed test and it did improve a lot, 33Mbps. My only question is, what is everyone else's download speed and what speed are you paying for? 33Mbps still seems a bit slow for the 100Mbps that I'm paying for. If I downgrade to the 50Mbps download speed package, would I still be getting the 33Mbps, or will that go down?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Yeah tons of variables but for the most part getting even close to 100 mbps you need perfection in the entire delivery chain. There local switcher box lines from there to your street, line from pole into your house any splitters, modem, router, inside house cat6, or wifi signal, computer modem, computer hardware. so much stuff to get right its crazy but yeah I buy my own modem/routers I dont rent from them they supply crap and for 10-12 months rent you can buy near top of the line stuff and replace every 2 years as needed not there replace only when you bitch like crazy or it breaks.

I get 30 at work and at home with lots other people online also. plus you need make sure other programs are not using your bandwidth in the background doing updates or refreshes that you dont even know about while you run the test.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I upgraded our internet to 100Mbps download speed. I ran a speed test through the wireless computer and we were only getting 13.4Mbps. Checked out my hardware and the modem was a DOCSIS 2.0 and the router was also an outdated one, and only good for maybe one computer using internet. So, I went to best buy and purchased a Netgear N600 C3700 Modem/Router combo. Got it all hooked up, called my internet provider and all was good to go. I ran another speed test and it did improve a lot, 33Mbps. My only question is, what is everyone else's download speed and what speed are you paying for? 33Mbps still seems a bit slow for the 100Mbps that I'm paying for. If I downgrade to the 50Mbps download speed package, would I still be getting the 33Mbps, or will that go down?
How do you run a test?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
I’m sure someone will come along and disagree with me but below is my personal experience.

I also have 100mbps and I did the same in that I bought my own netgear gigabit router and surfboard modem. These devices work far better than any rented hardware from the cable company. My hard wired devices operate consistently at about 85 mbps download and 10 mbps upload. My wireless devices operate at about 40-50 mbps download and 5-8 mbps upload. I assumed this is because of limitations of the wireless hardware (be that the phone/tablets or the router itself). Talking to the cable company they indicate that this is normal and the 85 mbps on the wired devices is within their specifications of a normal system.

With that said, since going with the 100 Mbps package, things have been far more stable for me. I put a lot of pressure on the system because of the security cameras /security devices and etc. that attach to the router and or internet (I think I have 20+ devices attached at any given time). I do not know if the enhanced stability is a direct result of faster speeds or just plain better router and modem.
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
How do you run a test?
I used speedtest.net and my internet provider has a speed test on their site.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
if you are paying for 100mb speeds, and you have the latest and greatest cable modem and route (and wired to your computer), you should be better that 33mb.

If you are wireless from the router, that may be true at 33mb, as there are many more factors at play.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT145SS View Post
I’m sure someone will come along and disagree with me but below is my personal experience.

I also have 100mbps and I did the same in that I bought my own netgear gigabit router and surfboard modem. These devices work far better than any rented hardware from the cable company. My hard wired devices operate consistently at about 85 mbps download and 10 mbps upload. My wireless devices operate at about 40-50 mbps download and 5-8 mbps upload. I assumed this is because of limitations of the wireless hardware (be that the phone/tablets or the router itself). Talking to the cable company they indicate that this is normal and the 85 mbps on the wired devices is within their specifications of a normal system.

With that said, since going with the 100 Mbps package, things have been far more stable for me. I put a lot of pressure on the system because of the security cameras /security devices and etc. that attach to the router and or internet (I think I have 20+ devices attached at any given time). I do not know if the enhanced stability is a direct result of faster speeds or just plain better router and modem.
Thanks for the write-up! I'll have to hardwire the laptop and see what i'm getting with that. wireless, I am getting over 11Mbps UPLOAD speed.

I would be happy with 40-50Mbps on my wireless computer. I don't think I put much stress on the bandwidth. I have my xbox one hardwired, but I rarely have the xbox on, while using the computer. Then I have the xps 18 all in one computer that is all wireless. Can't hardwire that, and then just a laptop, 2 cell phones and an ipad.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
if you are paying for 100mb speeds, and you have the latest and greatest cable modem and route (and wired to your computer), you should be better that 33mb.

If you are wireless from the router, that may be true at 33mb, as there are many more factors at play.
ok, thanks. i'll check out the hardwire to my laptop tonight after work.

also, the wireless computer is a Dell xps 18, so it's fairly new. So i'd suspect that the wireless tech (or whatever lol) in that is pretty up to date and capable of higher speeds.

Basically everything I have is brand new.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
This is good info...thanks OP for starting this discussion
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
There are other factors involved also. The age and rating of the wiring that carries the signal can make a huge difference.
I switched to Cable internet about a month ago from DSL. I was supposed to have doubled my speed. But instead it was cut in half. Since the cable inside my home was about 35 years old along with cheap Walmart splitters, I decided to change them out. I bought all new cable rated for HD and high speed internet. I also bought matching splitters. That brought my speed up some but not like it should. I contacted the cable company and requested they replace my cable coming to the house since it was probably 40 years old and not HD rated. After that my speed increased dramatically... So you may want to check into the age and type rating your wiring has.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
PT145SS

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2008 MB E50, 2004 RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Thanks for the write-up! I'll have to hardwire the laptop and see what i'm getting with that. wireless, I am getting over 11Mbps UPLOAD speed.

I would be happy with 40-50Mbps on my wireless computer. I don't think I put much stress on the bandwidth. I have my xbox one hardwired, but I rarely have the xbox on, while using the computer. Then I have the xps 18 all in one computer that is all wireless. Can't hardwire that, and then just a laptop, 2 cell phones and an ipad.
One thing I forgot to mention, I also had the cable technician put an inline filter on the line that goes to the cable modem. If I understood him correctly, the inline filter filters out the "noise" caused by the traffic meant for the DVR.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume this means that the cable modem spends less time filtering data packets meant for other devices as it is already pre filtered. I did not do any before/after testing to see if there was a big benefit from the inline filter or not. Just thought I would mention it.
PT145SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
There are other factors involved also. The age and rating of the wiring that carries the signal can make a huge difference.
I switched to Cable internet about a month ago from DSL. I was supposed to have doubled my speed. But instead it was cut in half. Since the cable inside my home was about 35 years old along with cheap Walmart splitters, I decided to change them out. I bought all new cable rated for HD and high speed internet. I also bought matching splitters. That brought my speed up some but not like it should. I contacted the cable company and requested they replace my cable coming to the house since it was probably 40 years old and not HD rated. After that my speed increased dramatically... So you may want to check into the age and type rating your wiring has.
Great info, thanks! I'm currently in an Apartment. Fairly new complex. I'd say 5 years old, at the most, but I suppose they could have still used cheap wiring. I'm not sure if I can just ask the cable company to switch stuff out, or if i'd have to contact the apartment complex. If it's a huge hassle, then i'll just have to live with what I have, until we purchase a house.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT145SS View Post
One thing I forgot to mention, I also had the cable technician put an inline filter on the line that goes to the cable modem. If I understood him correctly, the inline filter filters out the "noise" caused by the traffic meant for the DVR.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume this means that the cable modem spends less time filtering data packets meant for other devices as it is already pre filtered. I did not do any before/after testing to see if there was a big benefit from the inline filter or not. Just thought I would mention it.
copy that. lots of good info already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
This is good info...thanks OP for starting this discussion
No problem!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Try plugging the computer directly into the modem and running a test. If you still only get 33 Mbps then you're more than likely receiving slower service than you're paying for (however, Internet service is isually advertised as "max speed" so you'll usually only get that speed when there isn't much traffic through your ISP, usually in the early morning hours). If the test shows near 100 Mbps then its likely you're being limited by the wireless hardware at your computer. That particular modem is a dual-band modem; is your computer able to detect 2 different wifi signals coming from that modem?