Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Juan C

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
2011 Tonneau Cover Camaro Convertible

I just got a new 2011 Camaro Convertible and I saw the clips on the tonneau cover but I never have found were the clips go onto.
Juan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Ugh...

Not sure which is worse, dealers STILL screwing this up.. or buyers not researching...

Reference my thread- "Tanneau cover nearly took flight today" for ALL details...

In short; near the outside edge of the convert top well, facing the trunk is a bolt hole. If you remove the upper plastic trim piece between the top well and seat belt openings, you will have full access to this hole. Check your tanneu cover in the trunk, there should be 2 bolts, 2 hollow "T" shaped posts, and 2 nuts, along with installation instructions. These bolts go into the above holes from the trunk toward the steering wheel. The hollow posts fit between the rear seat and the trunk, with the "T" end toward the trunk. Tighten with the nuts on the inside (steering wheel) side of the bolt... thus leaving the outer, "exposed" portion of the bolt/"T" post in the convert top well. This is where the clip attaches.

Or, take it back to your dealer to install.

I recommend installing yourself and adding a lock washer between the "T" post and the trunk wall... again, see the "Tanneu cover nearly took flight today post" for all the reasons why...

Good luck, and enjoy your new vert!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
This topic is covered in a couple of threads already.

Tanneau cover nearly took flight today...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132147

The specific info on where it is installed is post #67 in the above thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=67

for those waiting for delivery...check your tonneau during inspection
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140201
Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Clustergear

Drives: 68 Camaro, 2011 Conv.
I see a lot of posts popping up about the Tonneau cover post not installed. I told the dealer not to install, I would do it my self. I used a flat washer behind plastic button like I read about in other posts. Works great as you tighten bolt the plastic post doesn't squeeze and spread plastic trim. A copy of the TSB ( instructions) can be found in the threads highlighted in Ctinatx post above.
For those who would like to install there own post for Tonneau here is the way I did it.
Just pull the two side trims off. They pull off by hand, just pull straight up. I used a 10 mm Gear Wrench with swivel head, put nut in and tape to hold. When nut is on, before tight take wrench off and tape will come out with wrench. Put wrench back in and tighten to spec. Head of bolt is 27 Trox. Pop trim back in. If you have trouble tightening the Trox head bolt do to Tourqe wrench hitting top. Put top up and jump in back seat there will be planty of room to turn torque wrench. No more than 10 mins. a side. Heres a couple pictures how to slide gear wrench in without taking the center trim out.
Attached Images

Clustergear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Nice pics and write up Clustergear! Saved me the time of uploading them... although I just took some myself this weekend to help as well, lol.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Bouncer

Drives: Black, LT2 / RS,Vert
Thanks Clustergear. I wasn't sure just how to get the top side sections off. I will try tonight. The dealer instructions were a bit vague. (refer to Quarter Replacement (convertible in SI) I hated to go off of those instructions. All I need is to break something with my car only a few weeks old. Dealer is 66 miles away. They are willing to send someone with a replacement car, take it back to put the post in and return it. This way I can avoid anyone but me (or occasionally my wife) driving my car. I'll let you know how it went.
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan C View Post
I just got a new 2011 Camaro Convertible and I saw the clips on the tonneau cover but I never have found were the clips go onto.

That was some quality dealer delivery on your new convertible. Sorry that happened but it's very easy once you get the hang of it.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Bouncer

I was just eager to get in and go. I didn't know about this web site till after I got the car. I did notice the clip did not have anything to attach to and said so to the dealer. He wasn't sure either. If this is the worse thing I have to worry about, then I'm doing great.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
Bouncer

I went ahead and took care of the post last night. Thanks to your picture Clustergear, I was able to install these in less than 20 minutes. It was too easy. The only thing I did differently was cut thin strips of electrical tape and loop them adhesive side out on the box end of my wrench. This secured the nut till I was ready to screw the post into it. Anyway, thanks again guys.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
dcfan22

Drives: '11 2LT RS 'vert Camaro
I emailed my dealer to remind him to put the posts on. When I picked it up he said that the dealers weren't supposed to put them on unless the customer requested them to. Thought that was kind of weird since GM made these for the cover.

IMO - the cover sucks - rinky dink and a hassle to put on and take off. Unless I driver more that 20 miles to a destination I leave it off.

LOVE THE REST OF THE CAR THOUGH! Sweet Ass Car!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Just did this myself in about 20 minutes. Very easy. Print out the service bulletin for reference, but once you pop the first panel, it's pretty self expanitory rom there. hardest (or scariest part) was popping out the plastic mid section behind the seats. Just pull with your fingers on the edge behind the seat on each side and it will come off. I used a thread-lock fluid on the screw/bolt to keep the silver nut in place.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
Does the tonneau cover come with every convertible or is it an optional purchase item ?? If optional, how much are they ? thanks !
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastohio View Post
Does the tonneau cover come with every convertible or is it an optional purchase item ?? If optional, how much are they ? thanks !

No, standard only with 2LT and 2SS. Don't know option price. Probably available via chevrolet.com
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
I told a guy at the fest whose vert was on order to make sure his dealer does it. spread the word!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote