Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Listen to it when he romped it in Stephs video. He had traction control on and it rocked.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #16
see5

Drives: LS7 441ci powered Corvette C5/
It sounds less good when running on 4 cyl.

2000, 6M, stroked LS7 (441CI), Halltech, Blackwing, PM100mm MAF, LS3 intake, ported LS3 heads, not too much cam, Fast 50# injectors, C6 oil pan, Accusump, HD rad with EOC, RAM HD clutch, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, 3" catless midpipes, Z06 TIs, hardened 3.90 rear, EFILive V2, PLX wb, always tuning.
see5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
camarorick

Drives: .
When I fired up the SS at my dealer, I found that it was a little tame at idle. I'm looking forward to hearing the WOT sound !!
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #18
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
How does it sound at idle? Same as the LS3?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdebde View Post
Wide Open Throttle
It may have originated from boating as the owners manuals for the motors reference this WOT frequently.
I look for the day to hear a ss getting aggressive, it may be my own with the lack of camaros in this area, mustang territory.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post
I think a lot of people initially that got a chance to ride along in a CTF car or drive one months ago had said it was too quiet, but I really think that was because of being in the car. Even in one of the reviews, I think it was Motor Trend maybe, they mention that from the inside of the car it is quiet, but they said when comparing the Mustang GT, Challenger R/T and Camaro SS from the outside driving away the Camaro sounds AWESOME and screams!
Not only is this exactly correct, but it was done by design. They wanted the car to be extremely quiet inside, but have an authoritative sound outside when "getting on it". After 25 years of playing with Camaros, I want to hear the Boston Acoustics stereo system while others hear my car.

Very important to all - do not assess the exhaust sound by driving the car. Get out of the car, stand back a bit and let someone else get on it (if you can tolerate that).

Quote:
Anyways thanks for your take on this! Glad to hear they nailed it with the sound on this car. Videos on the computer really can never truely capture the real sound of it when you are in person.
I did have the ability to take video of it but you are right, it would be pointless. The video would not catch the experience of the exhaust note bouncing of the buildings around you when you can't see the car anymore (yes, it does that ).
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #21
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Hylton, this is great news for me to hear since I am getting the L99. I must also say how much I enjoy reading whatever you write. You're one of a small handful of our members, that I really make it a point to pay attention to what all you have to say! Thanks for the post.
Thanks! That means a lot to me. Aside from the joking around, I put a lot of effort into what I do here and it's really nice to hear that.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Thanks! That means a lot to me. Aside from the joking around, I put a lot of effort into what I do here and it's really nice to hear that.
You've earned that level of respect, 100%.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #23
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
It's great that the stock exhaust sounds great, but one of the main reasons I'm going aftermarket ASAP is to get rid of the large and visible mufflers that can be easily seen from behind the car.

If they were hidden by the rear fascia or at least painted black, I could probably live with them.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
nol300

Drives: 92 300ZX TT 2007 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
It's great that the stock exhaust sounds great, but one of the main reasons I'm going aftermarket ASAP is to get rid of the large and visible mufflers that can be easily seen from behind the car.

If they were hidden by the rear fascia or at least painted black, I could probably live with them.
+1

Why do they always have the muffler visiable it would be different if it was a nice polished piece but they are ugly.
nol300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #25
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
Quote:
I think a lot of people initially that got a chance to ride along in a CTF car or drive one months ago had said it was too quiet, but I really think that was because of being in the car. Even in one of the reviews, I think it was Motor Trend maybe, they mention that from the inside of the car it is quiet, but they said when comparing the Mustang GT, Challenger R/T and Camaro SS from the outside driving away the Camaro sounds AWESOME and screams!

Anyways thanks for your take on this! Glad to hear they nailed it with the sound on this car. Videos on the computer really can never truely capture the real sound of it when you are in person.

You really want the ride inside the car to be quiet so you can enjoy that premium sound system right? My '67 Firebird had a kickass motor, exhaust, etc., you could hear it coming from a mile away, problem was you couldn't hold a conversation in the car either. Sound dampening in 1967 consisted of a piece of carpet, that was it. Be thankful that Chevy has progressed a bit since then ! You want all the good noise coming out the back.

I also ride a Harley, and for some reason a lot of my fellow riders think it is cool to run straight pipes, or at the very least the loudest pipes they can find, quoting this silly line that loud pipes save lives... stupidest thing I've ever heard, the sound goes out the back and it's too late to do you any good , it's not going to stop that car from pulling out in front of you.. all it does is tick off our fellow motorists. Louder is not always better, it doesn't mean better performance, it just means louder ...

Listen to your car first, then decide. I'm not saying you have to leave it stock, not by any means. I have changed the exhaust in both my truck and my bike but since this is a first year car I am leary of voiding the warranty in any way .....

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
zzz28zzz

Drives: 2010 Chev Camaro 2SS/RS VR -
Kinda new the "modding" aspect of all this. I was really looking
at a new exhaust set up. Maybe I won't have to.
This could really turn out good for me
zzz28zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
question is the ls3 gonna sound the same as the L99?
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #28
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
is the ls3 gunna sound the same as the ls3? what you mean there both the same engine unless u mean is it gunna sound the same as the vette. no idea.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote