Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #43
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Though the automatic would add weight, it's mounted mere inches from the ground. It will improve the vehicles overall center of gravity, and likely effect handling none-at-all.
even inches from the ground weight is weight. especially moving that weight around the track will cause some effect. but depending on where it's located could actually help more then hurt. power+weight+grip can equal a great car if done right. v6 TT will probably weigh in around an SS produce the same hp (for reliability reasons) or close. and only get better mpg. now if they took weight savings into account (ie carbon fiber, light weight alloys etc) then just maybe it could produce a better handling car. just maybe. doubt it. lol.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
v6 TT will probably weigh in around an SS produce the same hp (for reliability reasons) or close. and only get better mpg. now if they took weight savings into account (ie carbon fiber, light weight alloys etc) then just maybe it could produce a better handling car. just maybe. doubt it. lol.
I thought this thread was about the auto tranny?

Let's entertain the idea of a TT V6 for a moment:

-It WILL weigh near as much as a V8 Camaro. No room for debate there.

-The costs to create such an engine would probably be somewhere higher than the LS3, but lower than that of an LSA.

-Those saved costs could be invested into weight-saving materials like CF, aluminum, etc...but the raw design of the Camaro makes this difficult, those rear quarters were stupid-hard to stamp out of steel...imaging trying to do it out of aluminum....all in all...you might be able to counter the weight of the turbos and get the car down to 3700...might.

-The turbos + Direct Injection will provide substantially higher fuel economy. 29mpg highway is realistic.

-There is NO handling benefit to simply an engine...to effect handling you would need to start with the tires, and work your way up to the engine being last on your list....meaning the car would have to be its own model, and a TTV6 is NOT essential to improved handling.

In the end, I...PERSONALLY...think such a formula (minus the carbon fiber, etc) makes more sense as a new model; mid-range...or for a future SS model...shoot me, if you must.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #45
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I thought this thread was about the auto tranny?

Let's entertain the idea of a TT V6 for a moment:

-It WILL weigh near as much as a V8 Camaro. No room for debate there.

-The costs to create such an engine would probably be somewhere higher than the LS3, but lower than that of an LSA.

-Those saved costs could be invested into weight-saving materials like CF, aluminum, etc...but the raw design of the Camaro makes this difficult, those rear quarters were stupid-hard to stamp out of steel...imaging trying to do it out of aluminum....all in all...you might be able to counter the weight of the turbos and get the car down to 3700...might.

-The turbos + Direct Injection will provide substantially higher fuel economy. 29mpg highway is realistic.

-There is NO handling benefit to simply an engine...to effect handling you would need to start with the tires, and work your way up to the engine being last on your list....meaning the car would have to be its own model, and a TTV6 is NOT essential to improved handling.

In the end, I...PERSONALLY...think such a formula (minus the carbon fiber, etc) makes more sense as a new model; mid-range...or for a future SS model...shoot me, if you must.
I don't see the problem with them introducing a TTv6. what I do see is a problem with it being a Z28. it won't out handle the SS by much. even if it has added suspension mods. (which we all know are the biggest handling modifications). the power needs to be higher then the current SS with a revised suspension setup. preferably the magnetic shocks like the ZR1. I say that because of the selectability of softness for DD and hardness for track use. but springs/wheels/tires still play a huge part along with all the other goodies.

a good transmission setup is another factor. even an auto transmission setup for more agressive driving will essentially make this car a winner. but there are trade off's with a more aggressive transmission setup, ie. fuel economy. But esentially a 6 speed tranny is a transmission with 2 over drives. make 6th ridicuously tall and you might be able to pull off the 29 mpg but the car would be very sluggish at 70 to accelerate any faster. (going up a medium hill you would have to down shift, yuck).

believe me I'm all for a performance TTv6. just make it a new model though. lol. traditionalist when it comes to z28.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #46
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
What V6 would go in the Z/28 if they went the route of a twin turbo V6? Does GM even have a V6 that's designed for use with a V6? There's the V6 in the LT Camaro but that's not meant for a turbo. Throwing a turbo on that is just fine for GM's customers but GM would be unwise to put turbos on an engine that isn't meant for them. Especially on a high end car like the Z/28! It's too expensive to design an engine from scratch so GM most likely puts a better LS in the Z and calls it a day.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #47
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
What V6 would go in the Z/28 if they went the route of a twin turbo V6? Does GM even have a V6 that's designed for use with a V6? There's the V6 in the LT Camaro but that's not meant for a turbo. Throwing a turbo on that is just fine for GM's customers but GM would be unwise to put turbos on an engine that isn't meant for them. Especially on a high end car like the Z/28! It's too expensive to design an engine from scratch so GM most likely puts a better LS in the Z and calls it a day.
well check out jay leno's camaro from sema. it's a TTv6 pushing 425 hp. and a lot of people around that time thought it was going to be the Z28. and who's to really say that a TTv6 would be too expensive for GM? and with the new cafe coming a car that's putting down closer to the avg will help out gm's over all avg. so is it really too expensive? who knows. but you're like most of us that believe they will drop an LSA or maybe just maybe a DI v8.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #48
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
We dont need no lazy mans automatic! Soon they will want camaros that turn for them too.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #49
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
How many Camaros have you owned? Z28 is not just a name. And a V6 has no buisness in it!
Oh I just remembered I got driven home from the hospital (newborn) in my Dad's green and black 69 Z/28 w/ cross ram, he then paked it next to his black 70 Hemicuda and took me upstairs to show the family. When I was two my dad told my uncle (16yo) to go downstairs and pick out whaterver car he wanted for $5k becuase he needed the money. He choose the the Hemicuda and my dad eventually sold the Z but my uncle still has his Hemicuda

True story
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #50
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
The Z28 wasnt a dragstrip car? Bullsh@t!! How many Z28s have you owned ? Heres mine and its the real deal!
Attached Images

anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #51
anthonybyram

O and Forlmula 1 cars are automatic-tapshift, Chevrolet even bought a Ferrari to find out how it worked,

Last edited by anthonybyram; 11-27-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #52
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
well check out jay leno's camaro from sema. it's a TTv6 pushing 425 hp. and a lot of people around that time thought it was going to be the Z28. and who's to really say that a TTv6 would be too expensive for GM? and with the new cafe coming a car that's putting down closer to the avg will help out gm's over all avg. so is it really too expensive? who knows. but you're like most of us that believe they will drop an LSA or maybe just maybe a DI v8.
It's not about it being expensive, it's that putting turbos on a V6 not engineered for turbos can turn out bad.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #53
anthonybyram

The Government will say, because they are the ones who bailed out GM. Cross the government, and see how far you get?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #54
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
The CTS V automatic was used to set the fastest lap time for a four door sedan at the "ring"
until the 150 grand Porsche panamerica recently eclipsed it by a few tenths..

I'm sure if the CTS V automatic can do that on a road course like the "ring" ..the upcoming Z28 automatic will be a beast at the track as well.

550 hp and a six speed dual clutch sequential would be better and even one of the torque convertor LESS six speed automatic transmission from GM's truck division would be as well..

But I imagine GM will just offer a standard 6 speed automatic like in the corvette
Old 11-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #55
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
It's not about it being expensive, it's that putting turbos on a V6 not engineered for turbos can turn out bad.
how many people drop a Turbo/turbos with moddest boost on engines not designed to do it? quite a few. have a friend in fayetteville that runs an ls1 with a trubo. . .no internal upgrades. as long as he keeps the boost low he's fine. but over all he's sacrificed long term reliability. as with any power upgrade.

and no matter what it would have to meet GM reliability testing. which costs money to do. if it meets it then GM would leave it be. if not then more money would be shelled out to make it meet it or they can go a different route. either way it's recerting a complete drivetrain. which costs more money.

you're the one that brought up the expensive part. I was just trying to show that they have put TT's on a 3.6 lt v6. and kept the boost down to only produce 425 hp. over all long term reliability is sacrificed, yes. and with a proper tune on that engine it will be fine.

again if it meets what the general says is acceptable why wouldn't they do it? for us mod crazed individuals? if that was the case we would have forged internals on all of our cars. and be paying over 40k for a base SS.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #56
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybyram View Post
The Z28 wasnt a dragstrip car? Bullsh@t!! How many Z28s have you owned ? Heres mine and its the real deal!
Such a sweet looking car!!!
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote