Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #57
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
love my dodge ram...cummins power
Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #58
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
some real dodge ram haters in this thread i see. i'm just saying if i was gonna leave the camaro and get a truck i'd go ram all the way, i'd want the biggest baddest one and it clearly is the ram (in my OPINION)

as for "dodge is the worst one" that's really just a matter of opinion. i always thought ford was easily the worst of the big 3 american producers. i've got an old dodge durango that still goes hard at 11 years old and 135,000 miles so i can only speak from experience
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #59
chevyk1

Drives: CGM Camaro 1Lt
I also am sorry for your problem you had and wish you luck with what ever you get next, but I'm wondering if your problem was handled so badly why are you sticking with them. I really believe in customer support and if any place I do business with doesnt treat me up to par as a valued customer I stop supporting them. In the truck market there are a few good choices out there to choose from. Side note if I were in the pick up market my eyes would be on a ford Raptor!!
chevyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #60
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
GM will re-sell the car to someone. The title will clearly state "lemon-law buyback" and the car will be sold without a warranty and as-is.
Someone in SoCal will be getting a SS for cheap thanks to the OP.
A lemon law is generally when a car can't be repaired for the same problem after three attempts by the dealer. Most states have such a law under "consumer affairs".

The buy backs I've seen at dealers have a clear title and full factory warranty, plus an additional buy back warranty. Most are voluntary buy backs. People use the term Lemon. But to be an actual Lemon Law vehicle it would have had to have gone through the court process, law suit, judgement, award... and even then I'm not sure many states do anything with the title. They require a disclosure to the next purchaser.

I think most states just brand the title for - salvage, scrap, flood. I've never seen a lemon title.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #61
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
To each his own I guess. I'd be interested in looking at the VIN to see what was done. I'm always skeptical of people who don't buy the same type of vehicle when they get the buy back.
huh? To be honest, the Camaro brought me back to Chevy (after a long absence too).

If my Camaro gave me as much trouble...I'd leave the brand again.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #62
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
GM will re-sell the car to someone. The title will clearly state "lemon-law buyback" and the car will be sold without a warranty and as-is.
Someone in SoCal will be getting a SS for cheap thanks to the OP.
A lemon law is generally when a car can't be repaired for the same problem after three attempts by the dealer. Most states have such a law under "consumer affairs".

We don't have a law over here in Belgium, I can assure you...

But sounds very tempting to actually make an offer on that car and have it sorted properly... even if it comes without warranty.

Hmm.... Maybe while I wait for that "Z" or "HP" monster to arrive...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #63
custompainter
Retired and diggin it!

Drives: 2011 camaro ss/rs
Get a Silverado. Heres my 08. I LOVE this truck as much as my camaro. Ok maybe not as much, but close!
Attached Images

custompainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #64
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I would get Ford F150 or a Chevy Silverado. Stay away from dodgy Dodge.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #65
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
What's to say there won't be trouble with the truck if it has some of the same features as the car.
Good point. I drove a 2010 Camaro with a VIN under #4000. Needless to say, I had problems, and I was so fed up with the service department's responses to my problems that I walked out to the sales lot and took a brand new 2011 Camaro for a drive to compare - and the 2011 was cleeeeeeeean!! THAT was the point where I was considering going for a newer model. As time went by, we had to continue comparing my 2010 to the new models, made some discoveries, and was fed some BS like "Well we don't know if this was something they were doing for the new model only."

I am definitely going to be looking at a new Silverado with a lot of the same features that the 5th gen Camaro has... but when I do go shopping, I am going to bring a checklist with me and I am going to pick this truck apart before I hand over the cash.

A lot of the problems I had with my Camaro are problems that nobody would ever notice if they were taking a Camaro out for a test drive. Sometimes it takes driving a car 5+ days a week before you notice a funny noise here, a thump there, and a lack of performance over here.

For all those 18 months I was thinking to myself - "Man, GM should have hired me to give this model a good once-over before releasing it to the public."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
I don't think I have enough information to make a judgement. What was the problem that finally lemon-lawed the vehicle? Otherwise this is all sounding very vague...
Well I said in a previous post... I never had any catastrophic breakdowns... I was never left stranded... I was never in any danger...

BUT...

I was in an out of the dealer WAY too many times for WAY too many problems and my car spent WAY too many days out of service at the dealer... and that is why they decided to buy it back. I bought this car to replace my 30+ year old pickup as a daily driver. Turned out, my old truck had less problems with it and was more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
I live in West LA and had no problems with the day or two of heavy rains. If you are that paranoid about rain in SoCal, I don't know what to say. Maybe move to the Sahara?
If you drive around on hill tops all day, then you don't know what it's like to drive through standing water.

The 405 freeway isn't an option in heavy rain during rush hour, unless you don't mind spending 3 hours trying to get home. I was driving from Torrance, through Carson and West Long Beach to get home... low lying areas with shitty drainage and 6"+ of standing water on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
+1 I have lived in So Cali over 50 years and drove a friggin VW Beetle in the past rain storms and not a problem. Driving style is everything. As for getting rid of a lemon... Every model of car has one or two that fall down and go boom under the lemon law. Sorry to hear about the experience but it is a Camaro and chances are you will own one again some day because they are and will remain an awesome car. Even if the manual trans sucks at the moment!
Wet roads are fine in the Camaro. Hitting deep standing water at 40mph is asking for trouble. Driving through a foot of standing water in the Camaro is not fun. There is no "driving style" that would get someone home any quicker in the Camaro during a flood than a pickup truck with thick tread on its tires can.

On top of that... I wouldn't choose the Camaro to drive through 6" deep snow on a mountain road either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
Sounds like a rough 18 months of ownership. I think if I went through it, I would never want another Chevy, let alone a another Camaro.

That said, I think your ability to get a Lemon ruling has as much to do about you as it does your Camaro. Most wouldn't have gone through all that. They would have sold it, or learned to live with the flaws as much as possible.

Your efforts were rewarded.

My view of Chevy is still awesome because my car is the anti-lemon (knock on wood).
Thanks dude, I agree. First of all, the customer has to actually recognize that there is a problem there. Secondly, you have to be persistent. I had nothing to do for 10 months when I was unemployed, and I wanted EVERYTHING to be fixed. I wanted my Camaro to work the way that my owner's manual said it worked. You have to go to the dealer, have an ACCURATE description of the problem written up on the work order, and keep copies of all of your invoices... luckily, I keep all my receipts and invoices in a folder for each car/truck. And really, I just got sick of making payments on a car that I was not able to drive because I did not have possession of it - because it was at the dealer for repairs so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
you have to be joking right? dodge is the worst of the big 3

if your shopping a truck i would give ford the nod. i had a brand new f 150 in 2004 and it was a great truck just the 36 gallon tank was killing me driving 600 miles a week and the over 100.00 fill ups
A 36 gallon tank sounds like a blessing to me. I have a shortbed pickup with a 16 gallon tank, so I can't drive more than 150 miles before I have to fill up again.

But that's why I was so excited by the Camaro... twice the horsepower... twice the gas mileage... and a bigger gas tank.

Bigger gas tanks don't mean that you're paying more for gasoline...
Bigger gas tanks mean that you have to fill up less frequently
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #66
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The buy backs I've seen at dealers have a clear title and full factory warranty, plus an additional buy back warranty. Most are voluntary buy backs. People use the term Lemon. But to be an actual Lemon Law vehicle it would have had to have gone through the court process, law suit, judgement, award... and even then I'm not sure many states do anything with the title. They require a disclosure to the next purchaser.

I think most states just brand the title for - salvage, scrap, flood. I've never seen a lemon title.
The OP is from Ca and Ca requires titles to be branded "Lemon Law Buyback"
Here is the DMV link...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr17.htm
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #67
jordanc

Drives: Cyber Grey Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
Something drastically different... like a Silverado extended cab LTZ 4x4
boring get the camaro convertable there no chance you will have another lemon live life man
Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #68
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanc View Post
boring get the camaro convertable there no chance you will have another lemon live life man
It takes a different type of guy to drive a convertable, and I'm not that kinda guy hahah Admit it, the car is already a dick magnet as it is, I don't need guy eye-balling me in a convertable hahah jk

No really... not quite the vert guy. I'm so non-vert, I didn't even go for the sunroof.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #69
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
Just curious but did you have any problems with your Halos being a different shade from each other? Im fighting with GM now on this issue.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #70
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacfanatic66 View Post
Just curious but did you have any problems with your Halos being a different shade from each other? Im fighting with GM now on this issue.
Not at all... I don't think... it was a rare case when I'd be standing in front of my car with the halos on.

Tags
lemon