Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Service Wait = Test Drove an SS/L99

Waiting for my car to be done, I got fidgety. So I got a sales rep to let me test drive a pmuch fully loaded 2012 2SS Camaro. Cool story inc.

I wont go into too much, because 19 million comparisons to my 11' 1LT will ruin my 1 year review in May :( I digress.

Initial Reactions/Test Drive: This trip to the service dept (grin) I figured Id grab one and go... picked the stock number for the auto and just went with it. 12' 2SS with sunroof, RS package, connectivity hurp durp, and random interior panels the same color as the IOM orange stripe on this beautiful black SS color. Sticker price of 40kish Thank god it was only a test drive!
Got in, and immediately frowned :( 6'5" 170 lbs. The Sunroof had destroyed what little headroom I had. I moved the P-seat down an inch as most. Had enough room for my buzzed head to constantly hit the roof. Leaned back a little to ease it a little. Started her up and the initial reaction was somewhat subdued. It really sounded nice, but I guess I was pumped up for a little more roar? It has a little rumble, was nice. Gave her a little 2.5-3k rev. Little throaty. Felt a little out of place, so I didnt fiddle with Manual mode or the Paddle Shifters (arent they 1 in the same?). Put her in drive, pulled out onto a major road. She felt like an auto for sure, as you lugged around 25-35 mph she sipped on gas through a straw, but you could always tell when the power was needed, she responded. A quick dead stop from a stop sign onto the major highway again, after the backroad cruise, to about 55mph. The pull was something fierce, even at half throttle. Nothing like little brother (v6) heh...

Ammenities?: I personally felt, they weren't all needed. I am currently driving a 1LT M6 barebones non-RS (doh!) The gauges were cool and all, but the HUD to me felt extra. Maybe the 2SS/2LT gadgets just arent my cup of soup. Leather again, not my forte. Audio controls on the steering wheel were a plus, but I did drive without the radio for this test drive, so it might as well be a moot point. Heated seats again arent a real concern for me, as well as the heated mirror. Not a huge audio fan, so the 9 speaker Boston Acoustics system got no use. :( A fully loaded may not be for me, but ammenities are really different from person to person and what you want to get out of your Camaro
The only deal breaker I was concerned with was the RS package.

Final Reactions: At 40k, I wont be going for a brand new 2SS with sunroof... but I did like the car I drove, and will be considering an auto, still, next year when I begin looking for my used 1SS/RS. I still have to test drive an M6 SS as well, so Im not ruling out manual yet..

Thanks,
Jason
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Glad u liked the ride! I own a 2ss/Rs but i bought it used with 5700miles on it for 26k. Manual is most fun if ur not in traffic most of the time but once ur stuck in it for awhile and every day it gets old quick. If u dont hit alot of traffic get the manual if u do auto for u then.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
GM4LIFE
*KissMySS*13 my other 1/2

Drives: 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE
My friends and I were bored one day so we went to a dealership and test drove a 2012 2SS/RS auto with sunroof and I had about the same reaction regarding the sound and throttle response.

Overall I liked it to much. Kind of gave myself a different look at my current ride. Did it change for you after driving it? I never test drove a SS and I had a Permagrin the entire time I was testing her out.

Another note, a lot of people complain about the steering wheel on the 12's but I liked it. It felt nice and was easy to hold on to. I also thought the SS rode smoother than my RS. What did you think of the feel of the wheel?
GM4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
Waiting for my car to be done, I got fidgety. So I got a sales rep to let me test drive a pmuch fully loaded 2012 2SS Camaro. Cool story inc.

I wont go into too much, because 19 million comparisons to my 11' 1LT will ruin my 1 year review in May :( I digress.

Initial Reactions/Test Drive: This trip to the service dept (grin) I figured Id grab one and go... picked the stock number for the auto and just went with it. 12' 2SS with sunroof, RS package, connectivity hurp durp, and random interior panels the same color as the IOM orange stripe on this beautiful black SS color. Sticker price of 40kish Thank god it was only a test drive!
Got in, and immediately frowned :( 6'5" 170 lbs. The Sunroof had destroyed what little headroom I had. I moved the P-seat down an inch as most. Had enough room for my buzzed head to constantly hit the roof. Leaned back a little to ease it a little. Started her up and the initial reaction was somewhat subdued. It really sounded nice, but I guess I was pumped up for a little more roar? It has a little rumble, was nice. Gave her a little 2.5-3k rev. Little throaty. Felt a little out of place, so I didnt fiddle with Manual mode or the Paddle Shifters (arent they 1 in the same?). Put her in drive, pulled out onto a major road. She felt like an auto for sure, as you lugged around 25-35 mph she sipped on gas through a straw, but you could always tell when the power was needed, she responded. A quick dead stop from a stop sign onto the major highway again, after the backroad cruise, to about 55mph. The pull was something fierce, even at half throttle. Nothing like little brother (v6) heh...

Ammenities?: I personally felt, they weren't all needed. I am currently driving a 1LT M6 barebones non-RS (doh!) The gauges were cool and all, but the HUD to me felt extra. Maybe the 2SS/2LT gadgets just arent my cup of soup. Leather again, not my forte. Audio controls on the steering wheel were a plus, but I did drive without the radio for this test drive, so it might as well be a moot point. Heated seats again arent a real concern for me, as well as the heated mirror. Not a huge audio fan, so the 9 speaker Boston Acoustics system got no use. :( A fully loaded may not be for me, but ammenities are really different from person to person and what you want to get out of your Camaro
The only deal breaker I was concerned with was the RS package.

Final Reactions: At 40k, I wont be going for a brand new 2SS with sunroof... but I did like the car I drove, and will be considering an auto, still, next year when I begin looking for my used 1SS/RS. I still have to test drive an M6 SS as well, so Im not ruling out manual yet..

Thanks,
Jason

Sounds like you wanted to dislike it. Just the vibe I took from your comments.

Yeah, the leather and Boston audio meant little to you, but I like both. Personal taste.

Likewise, personally I would never have test driven a V6, because I knew I didn't want one. Were you surprised that you liked the V8?

The stick vs. auto debate rages on and if this thread goes that route, it won't be a surprise.

Interesting points.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

I have a 40+ mile round trip commute each day but it hasnt phased me much in my current M6. /shrug No real traffic, and when it does pick up, its not really for more than a few miles.

Ahh yes! I forgot the steering wheel. Personally, I liked the '10/'11 ones better. This one is too.. Cruze'y for me. It has the appeal of a gopher... =/ It may have felt better? I know my current one isnt leather. Leather feels good on my hands not on my bum lol. Lets say for the sake of not confusing everyone: It felt better, not as plastic-y, but looked plain.

I have been reading much about the 28465474 billion LS3 vs L99 threads, but I did try to go into this as objectively as humanly possible. To say I was unphased by them, though, would be a lie. My true only pet peeve thus far, was that little lag auto's have. I just must be the recent stick driving as of late talking, or the AFM sipping along before I got on her a little to 50MPH. And yeah, your absolutely right, I did know that ammenities like leather and the upgraded audio, in particular, are definately going to be very user subjective. I like blue, you like red, peter likes green, etc etc. I've found that I just want more power, elsewise, an SS upgrade after owning this car (next year) for 2 years would of been a pretty big waste of time/money. And not just AM power, I think that the only plans I would have for whatever I keep is axle-backs and an intake. The sound, for the most part, means more to me than going balls to the walls with stuff like a SC/cam/full exhaust, etc. That in turn is probably why I havent fiddled with my current 1LT, no exhaust clip ive listened to thus far was really sweet to my ear =/. Granted, audio clips on youtube/c5 arent going to do the real justice of an in-person test. I think I knew I'd love the V8 honestly, having avoided one on my initial buy because I didnt want to dull down the V6. Is this cruel and unusual :(

And ultimately, if my wife wants to learn to drive stick, or just wants to drive an auto, this will affect my decision as well, but I wouldnt say im put off by the auto, I just know that driving that (honestly as little as I did) felt a lot different, to me, than driving my current Camaro (M6).

Thanks for the input guys

EDIT: I do tend to post things as they come, though, because I wanted my initial feel of the car to be readily available for reference, to myself mostly =/, in the future.

Last edited by Stealthpanda; 04-07-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: durp
Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Glad u liked the ride! I own a 2ss/Rs but i bought it used with 5700miles on it for 26k.
That's a good price. I wish I could find a used one with so little miles for 26K.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

^ Yeah I just thought to myself.... GD... that was a steal :O

And Im not saying I wouldnt get a 2SS if the price was right, but I just imagine dealers to try and charge that difference on a used car, say what is it 3-5 grand? I forget off hand. When a used 10'-11' 1SS might be found for 25,xxx$ maybe, and a 2SS for 29,xxx$. The numbers are for illustrative purposes only, but its just me wanting to find simplicity... maybe it will all matter next year heh.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
When I drove an SS I was kinda let down. In my head I thought it would feel a LOT more powerful than my V6, but it really didn't. I mean yeah there was a difference, but not as much as I expected, and I was going from a V6 M6 to a V8 A6, so maybe the difference in transmission is what really didn't help the experience for me. I've also done some performance mods, so that may have narrowed the margin a little, but all in all test driving that V8, made me happy with my decision to get the V6. TEAM LLT!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
When I drove an SS I was kinda let down. In my head I thought it would feel a LOT more powerful than my V6, but it really didn't. I mean yeah there was a difference, but not as much as I expected, and I was going from a V6 M6 to a V8 A6, so maybe the difference in transmission is what really didn't help the experience for me. I've also done some performance mods, so that may have narrowed the margin a little, but all in all test driving that V8, made me happy with my decision to get the V6. TEAM LLT!
Yeah, I tell ya... Manual just makes it feel different. My ride home from the dealer wasnt filled with despair... or me bummin out... something about that stickshift that changes things. Wish my wife had the interest in learning stick...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
The thing is, unless you are really getting on the car, you aren't going to feel much of a difference from V6 to SS. There will be some, but unless you are driving the car hard, there won't be a lot.

Of course anyone would pick the SS if they could have either car for free. But unless you are going to use the power, the V6 is plenty fast for most.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
The thing is, unless you are really getting on the car, you aren't going to feel much of a difference from V6 to SS. There will be some, but unless you are driving the car hard, there won't be a lot.

Of course anyone would pick the SS if they could have either car for free. But unless you are going to use the power, the V6 is plenty fast for most.
How do I put this...
I drive my car to the fullest. Yep, safest way to explain it.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
You gotta try one without the sun-roof...first ones I sat in had them, my head hit, couldn't figure it out, I was so pissed I didn't care what the car had or ran like...almost didn't even buy a Camaro...then, finally, one without a sun-roof...whole different experience...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You gotta try one without the sun-roof...first ones I sat in had them, my head hit, couldn't figure it out, I was so pissed I didn't care what the car had or ran like...almost didn't even buy a Camaro...then, finally, one without a sun-roof...whole different experience...
This. It really felt awkward, like I knew it was a 2SS, but sat awkward until I left the parking lot, and once I sat straight I noticed it. I've got time. It was just an all around nice experience, and good way to spend 15 mins. The more I think of it, the startup was pretty gnarly. Grumble....

Next oil change... LS3 test drive xD
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I was getting my oil changed today, and asked if I could take a look at the HUD in the newer Camaros. Not a problem.

Now, apparently they are going to be getting a ZL1 on the floor soon (maybe a month or two, I'm sure). I'm SO tempted...