Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Charlie Rios

Drives: Camaro SS/RS 1LE (2014)
Best brake line & brake pads package for track day

I bought a 2014 I LE camaro and I was looking to comply to track my car, I was told that I need to replace my brake lines and pads, including the brake fluid, Please any suggestion on what to buy as a good package, one that you guys have test already. thanks for the help (not sure is there is already a thread on this, I was searching and can't find anything)
Charlie Rios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Tyler at JDP Motorsports can help you out...
Old 01-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Rios View Post
I bought a 2014 I LE camaro and I was looking to comply to track my car, I was told that I need to replace my brake lines and pads, including the brake fluid, Please any suggestion on what to buy as a good package, one that you guys have test already. thanks for the help (not sure is there is already a thread on this, I was searching and can't find anything)

I don't agree that you NEED to change pads or lines.....Brake fluid Yes, but many of us have tracked our cars with the stock pads and lines.

Feel free to browse my links below in my signature about tracking the car stock.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302569

Matt
Old 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I agree with Matt (who has instructed) and I track using the stock brakes. There is no need to replace your pads or brake lines UNLESS you feel that your car's stopping is not happening "quick" enough for your CURRENT driving style. Factor in also how agressive of late braking you plan to do and what types of courses you will run. I've had the stock brakes fade, but only a little and after a long fast straight and many laps of hard use. But they still worked great. Just get or do a fluid flush and replace it with high-temp racing brake fluid. But make sure it's dot4. Some people here swear by Motul 600. I've not used the stuff myself...

Also another simple but effective thing to do is get a "track" alignment done.

Pedders has good recommendations on this:
http://http://www.camaro5.com/forums...rack+alignment

Mark
Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Another thing is to follow what the manual recommends for Performance and Competitive driving. I think it recommends to replace the fluid in the differential before the competitive driving (I had it done the first time but not the second time.) Again depends on how agressive and how hard and long you will run.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I don't agree that you NEED to change pads or lines.....Brake fluid Yes, but many of us have tracked our cars with the stock pads and lines.

Feel free to browse my links below in my signature about tracking the car stock.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302569

Matt
Changing the lines and fluid at a minimum is cheap insurance versus damage due to brake fade at the track...I've had it happen and I would rather spend what I did to make sure the brakes are there, than worry about what if...
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I agree for insurwnce but if you are a novice younshould be ale to get bynthe first time out to see how you ahndle the car stock and go from there.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Changing the lines and fluid at a minimum is cheap insurance versus damage due to brake fade at the track...I've had it happen and I would rather spend what I did to make sure the brakes are there, than worry about what if...
Agreed, anything can happen....was your fade with stock fluid?

Can a brake hose or line play a factory in brake fade.....Yes, In extreme cases the line can flex more due to heat. But overall that is minimal at best.

The primary reason for brake fade is heat generated by the friction between the pad and the rotor is transfered to the piston in the caliper which is in direct contact with the brake fluid. The moisture or water in the fluid can boil and create a spongy pedal or fade.

I never tracked my car with stock fluid so I cannot speak about how it performed. I did run the car with stock lines and pads with Motul 600 fluid very hard on the track for 20 minute session without issue in Michigan.

Bottom line: Fluid is a must! If you can afford lines and/or pads that is your call....

Matt
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #9
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
To the guys that have changed their brake fluid over. Do you run with the clutch and brake reservoirs separated or together?

Can the Motul 600 fluid go in the clutch lines too?

Last edited by 1LeSS; 01-15-2014 at 09:50 PM.
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
This is directly from the Chevrolet website pertaining to the 1LE
* * * * * * * * * * * * ** ************************************************** ***** * ** ************************************************** ********************** In "fact, the 1LE is SCCA certified for Touring Class Competition and was clocked to be faster than the existing T2 track record at the Pittsburgh Race International Complex.Best of all, this 1LE is here to stay."
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Charlie Rios

Drives: Camaro SS/RS 1LE (2014)
Thanks for all the answers, the reason for changing the brakes line are rules of the tracks here at PR, I just tell them that the car was certified but they said that if I want to track the car I need to upgrade the brakes lines and brake pad including the brake fluid.
Charlie Rios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers, the reason for changing the brakes line are rules of the tracks here at PR, I just tell them that the car was certified but they said that if I want to track the car I need to upgrade the brakes lines and brake pad including the brake fluid.
Interesting rule.

Ok Motul 600, Brembo 600 or ATE Super blue for fluid.

I don't have different pads or lines so I will let others answer with their experience.

Matt
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Agreed, anything can happen....was your fade with stock fluid?

Can a brake hose or line play a factory in brake fade.....Yes, In extreme cases the line can flex more due to heat. But overall that is minimal at best.

The primary reason for brake fade is heat generated by the friction between the pad and the rotor is transfered to the piston in the caliper which is in direct contact with the brake fluid. The moisture or water in the fluid can boil and create a spongy pedal or fade.

I never tracked my car with stock fluid so I cannot speak about how it performed. I did run the car with stock lines and pads with Motul 600 fluid very hard on the track for 20 minute session without issue in Michigan.

Bottom line: Fluid is a must! If you can afford lines and/or pads that is your call....

Matt
It happened both with stock fluid and then with the Wilwood 570. After that, was done messing around and upgraded so never will be an issue again....CTSV front, ZL1 rotors, Cobalt Friction pads, Castrol SRF and Goodridge lines....never have had even a hint of fade since and I've run Road America, Autobahn, Nashville, etc...the set up allows me to brake later and still get it slowed down....
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
That is a dumb rule. I understand the brake fluid but the pads? Every car is different so I understand if I have stock pads on a Civic I need to do something but the stock SS pads are fine on the track and besides that they will never know unless they also require you to install the pads at the track under the eye an inspector. Our stock pads are upgrades for other cars.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote