Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #113
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
Out did both both I kept it on narrow band
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #114
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt037 View Post
Out did both both I kept it on narrow band
You needed to use the wideband. Narrowbands are not accurate at WOT.

What AFR was the car tuned to with the meth?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #115
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjt037 View Post
Yep. But look at the bright side lsx starts at 620hp at crank. Twin kit on that camm 14psi looking around 800rwhp
Nice, the lsx454 is a truly awesome engine I can wait to see the results.
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #116
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Spraying meth on a safe tune is one thing but tuned for meth (lean + timing) without a wideband and knowledge is asking for trouble. I would like to hear how the AFR was dialed in.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #117
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
You needed to use the wideband. Narrowbands are not accurate at WOT.

What AFR was the car tuned to with the meth?
Do you live in FL. I see a car like yours at the track occasionally.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #118
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
Was tuned for the Meth. But it gives me the option to get rid of the v6
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #119
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Sorry to hear this CJ...My original plan for my LLT was to drop a LS9 in it. Till I was told the computer and harness won't work. And that the mounts would have to be relocated. So I left it as this car was still new to alot of performance shops. Almost bought the engine and TR6060 glad I didn't. Wish you luck with this build, and so think now we have SOME knowledgable shops out there willing to play with the LLT.

I'm going to take it easy at first with my turbo's to let things break in. I only still have 6600 miles on the car since it's not a DD. I had Tracy also install a wideband A/F along with the boost gauge to keep things in check. Will also be running the Torq app 24/7 in the car just in case.

Wish you luck and start another thread when you start the build. This thing is going to be a beast. Hope to see it at CFIII!!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #120
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1gmfan View Post
Spraying meth on a safe tune is one thing but tuned for meth (lean + timing) without a wideband and knowledge is asking for trouble. I would like to hear how the AFR was dialed in.
Would love to know this also..
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #121
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I've been worried about this for a while. Seems people are pushing these motors pretty hard dispite the known issues with the fueling system. Meth is great for adding a few more ponies because it lowers IATs and increases octane. When you also tune it to compensate for a lack of fuel then you are asking for trouble. You have to invest in a lot of failsafe things to be safe. This is true for any motor, not just the LLT.

We haven't been able to SAFELY tune Gretchen for more than 7 psi, even when adding 100% meth. I'd rather wait until we have a good fueling solution than push it to 9-10 psi.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #122
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I've been worried about this for a while. Seems people are pushing these motors pretty hard dispite the known issues with the fueling system. Meth is great for adding a few more ponies because it lowers IATs and increases octane. When you also tune it to compensate for a lack of fuel then you are asking for trouble. You have to invest in a lot of failsafe things to be safe. This is true for any motor, not just the LLT.

We haven't been able to SAFELY tune Gretchen for more than 7 psi, even when adding 100% meth. I'd rather wait until we have a good fueling solution than push it to 9-10 psi.
That's why I will be happy with the 6psi's the kit will come with for now. That seems to be the safe point for now. Hopefully we can get some upgraded internals down the road. Aside from the little forged parts the LLT comes with now. Or a stronger block would be cool also. What we get for just 6psi's is still very impressive, this is LS3 with stage 2 cam's, intake, heads, and tune numbers here.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #123
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
That's why I will be happy with the 6psi's the kit will come with for now. That seems to be the safe point for now. Hopefully we can get some upgraded internals down the road. Aside from the little forged parts the LLT comes with now. Or a stronger block would be cool also. What we get for just 6psi's is still very impressive, this is LS3 with stage 2 cam's, intake, heads, and tune numbers here.
no need for new block... the hypertheuretic piston are going to be the weak link... they do not tolerate detonation very well at all...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #124
probee773

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS 6MT Double Black
Good read relevant to this topic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston
probee773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #125
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
So in short, when going FI of any type, upgrade the pistons first to handle the extra force exerted on them. What other components should be swapped out in terms of increased stress?

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with getting a wet nitrous system but even so would be good to know what needs to be changed out to prevent blowing the motor on the drag strip and I've seen what happens when oil gets on a cars tires going over 100 mph on the track.
TexasCamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #126
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamaro5 View Post
So in short, when going FI of any type, upgrade the pistons first to handle the extra force exerted on them. What other components should be swapped out in terms of increased stress?

I'm thinking I'll be sticking with getting a wet nitrous system but even so would be good to know what needs to be changed out to prevent blowing the motor on the drag strip and I've seen what happens when oil gets on a cars tires going over 100 mph on the track.
No, it's not necessary to upgrade pistons. Upgrading pistons in the LLT would be very very expensive! The key to going FI is know how far you can safely push things and to make sure you avoid detonation. I have plenty of friends in the V6 Mustang world, including me a one point, running FI and plenty of boost on stock hypertheurtic pistons without any issues... And I'm guessing the SS stock pistons are hypertheurtic and there are plenty of FI guys here running with the stock piston...

The thing is hypertheuretic piston are actually pretty strong, however they are brittle and as I've said don't tolerate detonation...