Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Corsec

Drives: 2010 2ss
Help a noob decide between Turbo or super

OK guys a few quick opinions if u please. I have pretty much sold myself on a twin turbo setup, gonna upgrade the clutch-looking real hard at the ATC Twin, want to upgrade the exhaust, and will be making a few changes to the springs and sways to get rid of the roll. I am targeting 600-650 rwhp. I really like the idea of the turbos when going for this much hp on a stock motor, just seems like the longevity might be a little better since I won't have to carry the extra hp to make up for a crank driven blower. But as silly as it may sound, one of my biggest hold ups is the fact that I don't know what it will sound like. Can you still get the muscle car rumble from a turbo charged motor? When I started the research I was very excited about getting that custom cam lope, not gonna happen with a turbo, right? I have watched several of the youtube videos of the twin turbos running, its just very difficult to tell what startup and idle sound like. So any of you TT owners out there that could let me know how they sound on the low end? I live in OK and we have no inspections on our cars so I can go with pretty much any kind of exhaust I want so any input in that direction would be appreciated, right now the car has no performance upgrades just a muffler delete. I don't necessarily want a loud car, just a car that when it starts up you know you have awoken a beast :-) Last question, I have a 2ss rs, are the stock tires enough for this much HP on the low end or do you need to change wheels? The car is just a fun driver and might go to the drag strip a couple times a year. Thanks for any input!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Welcome... is all I can say...

...I've worn myself out trying to decide this one... there are a ton of good threads on it here...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Just get your TT and crank it up to 650whp strap on your helmet and let her rip. Sorry no Big Car sound except the blow off value. As far a tires go 315's in the rear .. but be very careful selecting wheels .. you want to get 315's and even lose weight from the stock set up.. there are light wheels outs there.. that will make a BIG difference.. alot of people are JUST looking for style and not considering wheel weight.
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsec View Post
OK guys a few quick opinions if u please. I have pretty much sold myself on a twin turbo setup, gonna upgrade the clutch-looking real hard at the ATC Twin, want to upgrade the exhaust, and will be making a few changes to the springs and sways to get rid of the roll. I am targeting 600-650 rwhp. I really like the idea of the turbos when going for this much hp on a stock motor, just seems like the longevity might be a little better since I won't have to carry the extra hp to make up for a crank driven blower. But as silly as it may sound, one of my biggest hold ups is the fact that I don't know what it will sound like. Can you still get the muscle car rumble from a turbo charged motor? When I started the research I was very excited about getting that custom cam lope, not gonna happen with a turbo, right? I have watched several of the youtube videos of the twin turbos running, its just very difficult to tell what startup and idle sound like. So any of you TT owners out there that could let me know how they sound on the low end? I live in OK and we have no inspections on our cars so I can go with pretty much any kind of exhaust I want so any input in that direction would be appreciated, right now the car has no performance upgrades just a muffler delete. I don't necessarily want a loud car, just a car that when it starts up you know you have awoken a beast :-) Last question, I have a 2ss rs, are the stock tires enough for this much HP on the low end or do you need to change wheels? The car is just a fun driver and might go to the drag strip a couple times a year. Thanks for any input!
This is my .02 :

It looks like you would like a TT system. I will preface this by saying at the power levels you are looking for you can use any good PD supercharger or TT's. You are pushing the stock short block pretty hard at that level. Meth Injection is a good insurance policy. You will need a better fuel delivery system. In addition your stock tires will in no way handle that kind of power on a launch. But...when you add stickier tires, you WILL need to upgrade your drivetrain - Clutch, Axles, etc. You will also need to upgrade your suspension (at least the bushings) because you will not be able to get your new found power to the ground.

As far as the TT, turbos do quiet down the exhaust tone and they have some effect on the exhaust resonance. In fact with turbos mufflers are pretty much not even needed on an LS motor. Now with regards to sounding like a muscle car, you will have to change the camshaft to one with at least longer duration and possibly a tighter LSA if you want "the cam lope". The trick to this is that forced induction likes a wider LSA, not a tighter one. You may actually give up quite a bit of low end torque to get " the sound".

Anyway, it is completely up to you. Write down the pros and cons of what you really want. Above all - be honest with yourself. You will be happier with your decisions if you are.

Last edited by speedster; 08-24-2010 at 08:31 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
+1, I will take a video of my car starting later today and added to the a post to see if you like it....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
TT powered cars do not like nor need radical cams. Something like the LS9 cam used in the ZR1 might be a good start for openers. Plus they are very quiet. Much plumbing needed with TT's such as air to and from intercoolers, oil to and from turbos, cooling water to and from turbos, oil scavenging from turbos to scavenge pump and to oil pan if low mounted, plus mounting of TT's to exhaust and from turbos out back of car. Also, it is wise to add an additional engine oil cooler. Hardly any of this with PD blowers. All will need better fuel delivery sys as mentioned above and injectors etc. Quicker and easier to return car back close to stock with PD blowers later if you want. Still want to do the TT's over the PD?? It is great to have choices though.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
You can add a cam to the TT Kit if you want a "Muscle-car" sound but you will just have to pull the boost back a bit to avoid making too much power.

Add a cam to our TT kit at 8psi =

Now, with forged / lower compression pistons and/or less boost to keep the power in the 600-650rwhp range and you can easily have the best of both worlds in power / sound dept.
Jeff
IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I am trying to find idle vids of TT cars with our "Boost" cam installed and haven't found a whole lot. This isn't the best (Sound) but you can kind of hear it a little:

EDIT: This car has the same cam just with a Ysi blower instead of turbos:

IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Corsec

Drives: 2010 2ss
Wow guys, thx so much for all the input! I Amon the road today, but will have time to read for detail tonite. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
JC's 2010 TT Camaro sound idle

Ok, I took a little vid of my car starting with the key fob and then from the inside so you can hear it....it really sounds like stock, you can hear the turbos wistle a little bit....

Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
tt ftw
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
Failsafe Performance

Drives: 2008 350Z
I vote twins!

As far as exhaust sound, with turbos, you have two relatively major restrictions in the exhaust (the turbine housings) which will definitely mellow out your exhaust note, but don't worry- it will still scream when you want it too, especially if you dump your wastegates to atmosphere

One thing to factor in is installation costs between the two. Twin turbo setups are generally more complicated, and take longer to install. Supercharger systems are pretty simple compared to a twin turbo setup.

At the end of the day, I prefer turbos. The sound of them spooling up when you get on it, mixed with the huge rush of torque as they start to boost just can't be beat, IMO.

-Chris
Failsafe Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Pending a TT kit myself, but am stuck on cam and head work to compliment an adjustable boost system. Of course the drive train and associated support eqpt. will get some upgraded attention; but what about that cam and headwork mystery?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
Just get your TT and crank it up to 650whp strap on your helmet and let her rip. Sorry no Big Car sound except the blow off value. As far a tires go 315's in the rear .. but be very careful selecting wheels .. you want to get 315's and even lose weight from the stock set up.. there are light wheels outs there.. that will make a BIG difference.. alot of people are JUST looking for style and not considering wheel weight.
Exaclty, wheel weight is key.