Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
gzartman

Drives: 2010 Camaro (Black SS/RS)
Bad gas! Camaro sputtered & died

Just got off the phone with the service manager from my dealer, I had bad gas in my camaro. It was so bad in fact thar the sample they pulled had over 50% water in it! Needles to say they have to drop the tank, replace the fuel filter, clean the fuel lines, cleant the fuel rails, & clean th injectors ($1,150) I have to pay out of my pocket. I talked to the owner of the gas station whom barely spoke english. He imediatly called his supplier, Lawrence oil and had me talk to their manager. They totally deny the bad gas claim and said they just pulled a sample today out of the stations tanks and they were good, I said yeah, cause the water was in my tank Saturday. When I filled up, I got 18.556 gallons of supreme, I was definitly empty. My car died 1 mile down the road from the gas station & they claim the water must have been in there before the fill up. I call B.S. cause the car ran great before the fill up and now the tank is over half full of water. Is there anything I can do? I don't have the cash right now to have it fixed so the car will sit at the dealership till I can come up with the money. Sounds like the gas station or the gas supplier aren't going to pay & I'm the little guy with no resources. My wife is still in tears over the situation, don't know what to do?
gzartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
aet08

Drives: c
Im sorry to hear that man.
Next time buy top tier gas only. Chevron, 76, Shell, etc.
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, that sux, hope for the best for you.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
get a lawyer, and let them do the leg work!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
With the summer heat, condensation in the bulk tanks accumulates. The gas floats above and at any time there is a big enough pocket of the water it can get sucked up and like the lotto, you won....err...lost. Sucks, but can & does happen.

I tend to use top tier brands as well.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Post a listing on Craigslist or in your local paper asking others that shopped at that gas station if they had the same problem with the gas...get enough people together with receipts from that station with car problems related to gas and you have a class action lawsuit that they cannot deny. Be proactive and even go so far as to call other dealers and mechanics in your area and ask if there is a plague of gas issues with local cars.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Go back to the station with a new 5-gal gas can and a video camera (make sure the time stamp is correct on your camera). Get video of you showing an empty can, filling it up at the same pump with the same grade you originally got and show the receipt at the end. Take that gas to your dealer and have them test it also. If it is also bad, go find a lawyer or file a claim in small claims court. You shouldn't have to pay for their stupidity.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
gzartman

Drives: 2010 Camaro (Black SS/RS)
Just got back from the dealer and the situation changed! It wasn't water after all, they did more test with some sort of meter and showed me, it had 96.83% ethanol in it, camaros can't run on that stuff. In the state of oregon 10% ethanol is the limit. Thursday the owner of the oil company that delivers to the gas station is going to the dealer to see the results, and the dealer is sending a sample off to the lab in Portland. The oil company is now liable because they broke state law and they are going to pay. The owner wants to see the sample pulled directly out of my tank to see for himself. I have learned that a 2009 mustang at the local ford dealer is there for the same reason and got gas from the same station, he is supposed to call me later.
gzartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Sorry to hear that. it makes me think that i should get a locked gas cap, just in case.
Im not saying the gas wasn't bad, but if it was so bad im sure other cars would have been affected, maybe try the Craigslist posting to find out if any one had the same issues, or like some one said already, go and get more gas and test it again.

Nevermind...

Glad you have it figured out.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote