Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southcentral

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
LDHitman23

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Max HP for Motor and Crank????

Hello everybody,

I have some big plans on my 2010 Camaro SS (Manuel). I was just wondering if anybody knew what the max power that the motor could take,and the max power that the crank? The final numbers that I'm looking at when its all said and done for horsepower is bout 600-700 HP. If anybody could offer any advice please let me.

Thank Camaro Owners....
LDHitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHitman23 View Post
Hello everybody,

I have some big plans on my 2010 Camaro SS (Manuel). I was just wondering if anybody knew what the max power that the motor could take,and the max power that the crank? The final numbers that I'm looking at when its all said and done for horsepower is bout 600-700 HP. If anybody could offer any advice please let me.

Thank Camaro Owners....
A lot depends on how you plan to go about getting that 600-700 HP. Is that whp or crank hp? Turbo charging is a little easier on the motor so you can get a little more whp than SCing before you reach the limits. A big cam and a big shot will aslo get you in that range. It also depends on how you treat it. If you beat the living crap out of it, you'll break stuff more often. If you're doing highspeed highway runs (on a sanctioned test road in Germany, of course ) you can make it last a lot longer. Just know that it's not just the engine, but the driveline that will also need to be strengthened to handle the HP. My advice would be to get with your shop of choice to see what they have to offer. Most shops on here will tell you that 550-600 is pretty easy and relatively cheap to obtained. Everything after that will start to cost more and more $$.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
^ well put
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
LDHitman23

Welll I thinking about twin turbo with STS Turbos. Then have the intake manifold from LSX, Kooks headers 17/8, Bigger injectors, Cam unsure of just depends on othe factors, and Trinity tuner. Their are more mods that I will be doing, but those are the main ones that are coming up. Yes this will rwhp.
The use that I will have for it is probably high rolls on the highway and I will take it to the track possibly once or twice once its all done. I will have this car for almost an everday driver until I can get something else that will do for the time being.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
if you are gonna do all that you are also gonna wanna step up the rest of the drive train
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
LDHitman23

Yes, I will beef up the drive train. I was curious of the max power that both can hold. That's all, it seems that it just depends on the route that I go. I just don't want to put these turbos on and the tranny can't hold the power or the rear end.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

I've never been a fan of STS turbo systems. It is a terribly wasteful system. Unless the price is drastically cheaper, there are MUCH better systems out there. There are several TT and single systems for the Camaro that are bolt-on and have been shown to be very efficient. They run low boost (6-8lbs) to reach 600+whp. You can subtract the price of LT's as they bolt directly to the OEM manifolds. They will also grow with you as they are capable of close to 1000whp by just increasing the boost level. Of course you'd have to build your engine for that but you wouldn't have to buy anything for the turbo system for that increase. Buy what you want but just know what you're getting into.

As far as the tranny and rearend, I think you'd be ok. You will need a much better clutch though. For what you're wanting to do, upgraded axles, trailing arms. toe arms, sways, and some of the bushings will be paramount. I'd also drop the car for better aero and handling. These will not only eliminate wheel hop but also make the car feel planted and stuck to the road. These are things that will be GREATLY appreciated while you're driving around that test track in Germany.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
LDHitman23

Thank you for the input "axis", and everybody else that has added their comments. Pricing on the twin turbo set up from the website was about 7k. I would love to go with Hennessey's set up but I not making that Hennessey money. Im around turbos everyday and unfortunatly they are STI's and EVO's. Im some what familiar with them. If I dont like the system then on to the next one. I have been also looking at Precision Turbos. I know that they have been in the game for a long time now. I have heard they are the ones to go to for turbos.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
The crank is known to be good for over 1000 rwhp. People usually just go with aftermarket ones for the added displacement, not the strength.... or just for overkill.

Kind of depends on the motor if the ringlands, pistons, rods, or rod bearings will go first.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHitman23 View Post
Thank you for the input "axis", and everybody else that has added their comments. Pricing on the twin turbo set up from the website was about 7k. I would love to go with Hennessey's set up but I not making that Hennessey money. Im around turbos everyday and unfortunatly they are STI's and EVO's. Im some what familiar with them. If I dont like the system then on to the next one. I have been also looking at Precision Turbos. I know that they have been in the game for a long time now. I have heard they are the ones to go to for turbos.
The three main TT systems talked about around here are Granetelli, IPS, and Hellion. They are complete bolt-on systems that can be done in your driveway. I'm thinking they are in the $8k range. Some of them use PTE turbos and some use others. All of them use high quality parts though and offer upgrades. It all comes down to what you want.

As Danhr stated, it's the rods and possibly rings that will go first. I'm thinking someone is making over 700whp on the stock motor but he isn't abusing it at all.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
LDHitman23

Thank you guys for the info. I will keep those parts in mind. Im still talking to my mechanic about this set up.
Now I just need to know how much the motor can take.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
I would go with hellion for turbos and Hennessey for blowers personally. GM Performance guys say the stock engine should have its cast pistons removed and replaced with forged ones if you plan on running more than 550ish crank hp. Drivetrain wise the auto can handle around 800 ft of torque and the manual around 600ft lb any more and all you will need is a ZR1 clutch then it can handle anything you can throw at it just about.
ZOOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
LDHitman23

I was thinking bout it but hennessey is a lot of money but I might try and save up for it but we will see. I just needed to know what the max for both of them were. I have the zr1 clutch coming soon. I might just try these turbos and them see if I like them. I will let u guys know how it all works out.
Texas Speed LT Headers (no cats), LS3 Monster blower cam, Muffler Delete, Stage 3 Spec 3 Clutch,102mm F.A.S.T Intake Manifold, Comp Cam Push Rods, Comp Cam Dual Springs, D1-SC Procharger, ID850cc Injectors, Stealth Fuel Pump, F.A.S.T Fuel Rails, Tune by Brett Seaburg, Nitto Street Radials, Amber Halos and Fog Lights, Window Tint (5%) Nightshade Tail Lights, Interior Amber Dome Light and Trunk.