Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Delima with motorcycles. . .

Ok. so last Friday I wrecked my 2009 kawasaki Concours 14. Don't know what happened really. hit my head pretty good so I don't remember. just woke up in the ambulance afterwards. but that's a different topic.

So now my delima.

If you don't know the Connie is a sport-touring bike. very fast and very comfortable. Well I had been debating for a while what my next bike was going to be. I really love the lean in the corners that my bike had. I even love the wind protection on the cold days with the windshield full up. I ride all year round.

But the connie isn't a bike my wife would like to ride on the back of. Which makes me want a bike she wouldn't mind riding with me on. but I still want the performance. . .so I've decided to get two bikes. over time of course but end all I'll get a cheap used sport bike after I get a good cruiser/tourer.

so the choices, (anyone with these bikes let me know what you think of them)

HD v-rod muscle I like it's styling but hate the seat. which that's fixable. still mainly a single seater. no wind protection for cold days.

V-rod love the styling 2 and seat isn't as bad as the muscle. but still the same problem with the 2 up configuration. no wind protection for cold days

HD Street-glide, seats look comfortable, looks like good wind protection. has a stereo. . .over all nice bike with bags. the wife might be able to order one cheaper while she's deployed. I'll know more by next week.

Victory Cross Country, great seat, great bags, cruise control standard, standard am/fm/mp3, cheaper then the street glide which it goes up against.

in reality I'm leaning towards the cross country and street glide over the v-rods. but don't know what the pro/cons are for either one. any help would be great. thanks.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Hi the v-rod and street glide are both nice bikes but completely diffirent. If you want something that is more passenger friendly then go with the street glide. I have more customers going with them now than any other HD model. I would suggest taking one for a test ride as it is much different than your current ride.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Hi the v-rod and street glide are both nice bikes but completely diffirent. If you want something that is more passenger friendly then go with the street glide. I have more customers going with them now than any other HD model. I would suggest taking one for a test ride as it is much different than your current ride.
my Father in law had an electric-glide or however you say it. I forgot to mention that. I haven't ridden it yet. but I will have to soon. is it anything close to that? he's fixed it up to being almost a full dresser.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
I have a Road Glide and love it.

A Street Glide is basically a monochrome Electra Glide with a few extras. Get a fairing bike, you won't be sorry.

I came from the other end of the spectrum; apehangers, lowered, and lots of rake. I was always the guy that made fun of the "old men" on their "garbage wagons" with windshields. I would wonder what's the point, but now the point is you do 200-400 mile days instead of 60-120mile crippling days.

BTW, I'm not just pushing Harleys but its all I know. I couldn't give a informed answer on any other brand, but the Victorys intrigue me.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
my Father in law had an electric-glide or however you say it. I forgot to mention that. I haven't ridden it yet. but I will have to soon. is it anything close to that? he's fixed it up to being almost a full dresser.
There are a few different models of the electra glide. The fully loaded ones are todays full dressers. The easiest way to describe the street glide would be a stripped down electra glide. Get rid of the tourpack and seat(more like a sofa), extra lighting and do dads, drop the front fender and at some color matching parts and the electra glide will look like a street glide. Oh I almost forgot one of the most important things the ENGINE. The street Glide has the screaming Eagle 110 C.I. motor rather than the 103 C.I.. For a production Harley this motor runs real strong.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
BlackSunsine

Drives: 1967 Custom Camaro
First - Sorry to hear you wrecked your scoot, that sucks no matter what.
Glad you are not too hurt. (I understand the head shot, as I had a car wreck on Labor day and it was bad).

As for the bikes -

I have a 04 RK Classic, and I remove the windscreen for the local riding, I like the wind, even when it is cold. There are masks and full face helmets for the 20's.

The HD is more expensive, but holds it value better then the other choices, just something to consider. Seats can be replaced on any bike. There are a lot of good ones out there, for all models.

If you really hate the wind, get a fairing bike.

The Roadglide and Streetglide are very well balanced, and the 2011's have more power, plus the 6 gallon tank.

What ever you choose, good riding and hope to see you out sometime. I will let you know when we plan the Penguin run in January.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro (1983)
2004 Harley Davidson Road King(2004)
Ex 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe (2007) (Totaled Labor Day)
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe (Thursday)

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS(2009)

Colorado Fall - Beautiful - Cool - Snow is soon!!!
BlackSunsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Ok. so last Friday I wrecked my 2009 kawasaki Concours 14. Don't know what happened really. hit my head pretty good so I don't remember. just woke up in the ambulance afterwards. but that's a different topic.

So now my delima.

If you don't know the Connie is a sport-touring bike. very fast and very comfortable. Well I had been debating for a while what my next bike was going to be. I really love the lean in the corners that my bike had. I even love the wind protection on the cold days with the windshield full up. I ride all year round.

But the connie isn't a bike my wife would like to ride on the back of. Which makes me want a bike she wouldn't mind riding with me on. but I still want the performance. . .so I've decided to get two bikes. over time of course but end all I'll get a cheap used sport bike after I get a good cruiser/tourer.

so the choices, (anyone with these bikes let me know what you think of them)

HD v-rod muscle I like it's styling but hate the seat. which that's fixable. still mainly a single seater. no wind protection for cold days.

V-rod love the styling 2 and seat isn't as bad as the muscle. but still the same problem with the 2 up configuration. no wind protection for cold days

HD Street-glide, seats look comfortable, looks like good wind protection. has a stereo. . .over all nice bike with bags. the wife might be able to order one cheaper while she's deployed. I'll know more by next week.

Victory Cross Country, great seat, great bags, cruise control standard, standard am/fm/mp3, cheaper then the street glide which it goes up against.

in reality I'm leaning towards the cross country and street glide over the v-rods. but don't know what the pro/cons are for either one. any help would be great. thanks.
I've got a 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe and really like it. 79 HP 79 FT-lbs at the rear wheel. Shaft driven, quick release windshield and passenger backrest, factory cruise control. It is a V4 that is very smooth with tons of power. The only bike that comes from the factory with a 5 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty. Never had mine back once.

I've really been loving me the 2011 Road Glide Ultra, but mine is paid for and runs like a champ, so no new bike for me.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Go for the Cross country!
Sorry to hear you wrecked the Connie, that is a bummer. I have a ZX and the Connie is the more refined cousin.
The street glide might also be nice but I have an inherent dislike of harleys so my vote is the Cross Country.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
this is my 09' electraglide ultra. i've removed the rear seat and tour pac, (pizza box), so basically it's a street glide ultra now. i've put a few grand in enhancements and performance stuff on her and can't find anything else to do to it so it's time to spend money on the camaro now.
Attached Images

y2k king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I have a Road Glide and love it.

A Street Glide is basically a monochrome Electra Glide with a few extras. Get a fairing bike, you won't be sorry.

I came from the other end of the spectrum; apehangers, lowered, and lots of rake. I was always the guy that made fun of the "old men" on their "garbage wagons" with windshields. I would wonder what's the point, but now the point is you do 200-400 mile days instead of 60-120mile crippling days.

BTW, I'm not just pushing Harleys but its all I know. I couldn't give a informed answer on any other brand, but the Victorys intrigue me.
I did 1500 miles in 24 hrs on the connie and totally love the fairings now. I came from a vulcan 900 and loved it but it was freezing in the winter time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
There are a few different models of the electra glide. The fully loaded ones are todays full dressers. The easiest way to describe the street glide would be a stripped down electra glide. Get rid of the tourpack and seat(more like a sofa), extra lighting and do dads, drop the front fender and at some color matching parts and the electra glide will look like a street glide. Oh I almost forgot one of the most important things the ENGINE. The street Glide has the screaming Eagle 110 C.I. motor rather than the 103 C.I.. For a production Harley this motor runs real strong.
thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when trying to decide. do you know if the screamin eagle engine is stronger then the freedom 106 offered from victory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSunsine View Post
First - Sorry to hear you wrecked your scoot, that sucks no matter what.
Glad you are not too hurt. (I understand the head shot, as I had a car wreck on Labor day and it was bad).

As for the bikes -

I have a 04 RK Classic, and I remove the windscreen for the local riding, I like the wind, even when it is cold. There are masks and full face helmets for the 20's.

The HD is more expensive, but holds it value better then the other choices, just something to consider. Seats can be replaced on any bike. There are a lot of good ones out there, for all models.

If you really hate the wind, get a fairing bike.

The Roadglide and Streetglide are very well balanced, and the 2011's have more power, plus the 6 gallon tank.

What ever you choose, good riding and hope to see you out sometime. I will let you know when we plan the Penguin run in January.
I love to ride period. but I love to ride all year, even during the winter. the connie kept me warm due to engine heat and fairings. just needed heated grips. lol. but that's generally the only time I don't like the wind.

bigger tank then the victory then. that's good.

where are you at? penguin run?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
this is my 09' electraglide ultra. i've removed the rear seat and tour pac, (pizza box), so basically it's a street glide ultra now. i've put a few grand in enhancements and performance stuff on her and can't find anything else to do to it so it's time to spend money on the camaro now.
nice bike. good luck with modding the camaro.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
CFD

Quote:
I did 1500 miles in 24 hrs on the connie and totally love the fairings now. I came from a vulcan 900 and loved it but it was freezing in the winter time.

thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when trying to decide. do you know if the screamin eagle engine is stronger then the freedom 106 offered from victory?

I love to ride period. but I love to ride all year, even during the winter. the connie kept me warm due to engine heat and fairings. just needed heated grips. lol. but that's generally the only time I don't like the wind.

bigger tank then the victory then. that's good.

where are you at? penguin run?
Hi. The 110 C.I. engine is much stronger but is available in the CVO version which is up there in price. The standard 103 engine still runs very strong as well. I'm not much of a victory fan anyways. I'm a true harley guy been riding racing and building them for over thirty five years. Also keep in mind that Harley and the aftermarket have huge selections of customized parts. If you are one who rides year round you can get air deflectors, weather guards, heated grips ,pretty much everything for cold weather riding.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Have you looked at the new Ducati Multistrada?
a very good sports tourer.

I think you'll be very disappointed with anything from the H-D range after the Kwak, although the V-Rod is the only one worth having, it won't tick the boxes that you're after IMO
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
rent them for a day to see if you like them.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote