Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
N7

Drives: Tricycle
Dealer attitudes towards military customers.

So I live very close to several military bases in southeast Georgia and I am curious how many of you that are military bought your car through a dealership in close proximity to base. Im curious what your experiances are with them? On the flip side, if your a base dwelling civilian w/o military family, what were yours?

I myself am not military, and Ive come across an interesting phenomenom while Ive been shopping. Im looking toward ordering a 2LT/RS around the January timeframe and two of the dealers Ive been to have been too seemed friendly and enthusiastic enough at first until I reveiled that I am NOT in the military. Suddenly their interest pretty much dissolved and they more or less left me at the curb

I have a great job, and good credit, and most of all, I have cash in hand for the car! Im only postponing until January due to a relocation job wise, still locally. Yet local area dealerships seem completely uninterested in selling me on the Camaro, and even downright dismissive about the idea of ordering one.

A third dealer I went to even offered me a test drive, which I did, and again when I told them I was not military they tried to cut the test drive short and when we returned to the lot gave me a speech about "Lets put you in a car you can afford."

So I am curious, whats up their backside? Anyone else ever had this attitude towards them if they live near a base?

Im not too fond of going through a dealership thats too far away, but with the number of bases around here its hard to avoid an area with a military consumer base.

ED: YAY SPELLING!
N7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Nothing personal against you from them, they are just poor salesmen.
They know military men and women have expendable income and can usually qualify at a younger age for a nice car because lenders KNOW they will get their money just by calling that Soldier/Sailor's Command Officer.
I say, if they only want military customers, go where you feel more welcome.
Order from a C5 sponsor....
(or, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! GO NAVY! LOL)

BTW- I am a military member and received poor service at a Mercedes dealership several years back. As soon as I mention I was Navy, he assumed I couldn't afford the car and asked me to return on a weekday which was not as busy. I can't believe my pride took over and I bought the car just to show him I could. (maybe he is a better salesman than I thought?)

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
alot of dealers near bases try to screw military into buying more car than they can afford, when i was stationed at fort sill, ok to get a better deal on my wifes honda we drove to dallas and got a real good deal compared to staying in town
ssummit camaro is offline   Reply With Quote