Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Speaker

Drives: 2011 black SS/RS, w/ ground effects
what about a programmer?

ive been recommended several times to get a programmer for my ss but dont kno much about them. What are the PROS and CONS to a programmer? and what is the best one?
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Kwik

Drives: car
Jannetty Racing Enterprises.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
i dont mean to open a can of worms thats probably been opened 500 times even before i found this site but, i cant let an unknowing person void their warranty. just research it and see if thats surely what you want to do. if it is, then go for it.
some make all kinds of claims on here about lawsuits and blibity blapity about gm having to prove that the tune caused the failure. the way i see it, if gm refuses to warranty your car, its not them that has to prove anything. if you want them to fix your car, its you that has to go to court and try to get them to warranty something that they have already refused to do.
i will tell you what i know for sure about it. if you change that tune, there is no way you can make it to where gm cant find it out if they look. the first thing they will do if your motor pops is look at that tune. the computers now days keeps a record of the last 10 tunes and there is no reason a dealership should ever load 10 factory tunes and thats what you have to do to hide your non-factory tune. so, if you do that, they know your hiding something.
not trying to scare you. you can probably tune that thing, get more HP, be happy and never lose the motor. if you do cause something to pop though just be advised that you are in for the fight of your life trying to get them to fix it. my thoughts are, not to do a tune. if something happens to my motor, ill be in there demanding it be fixed knowing that they have no reason to baulk on me. they have to fix it.
good luck
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Don't get the diablo. Just from what i've heard...
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Bumble_Bee

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
What have you heard to make you suggest this?
Bumble_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Drives: Velocity Yellow C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Love how the guy snaps a few pics after his dick almost gets swiped off in your sig lol Die hard Photographer

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Full Body Stripes
Flat Black Tail Light Bezels
Flat Black Camaro Emblems
Flat Black / Red SS Emblems
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
Near Future ( 1'' Drop Springs, GFX and *headers,Xpipe and 3in catback with an CAI is on it way* Getting ready for the PROCHARGER
)
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
2010IBMSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee View Post
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Shift

Drives: Me 2001 F150, The wife '11 2SS RS
Quote:
Not sure what Nathan heard but I heard Ford secretly created the diablo in an effort to sabotage the Camaros.

They slowly degenerate the car until it has the HP of a gocart
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Just that there are superior programmers on the market. The shop I went to told me it's super easy to use but that's as far as it goes...

I guess you can't change as many settings on it.

Don't take this to heart though, do your research and get what works for you. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I guess he made the impression on me to NOT get the diablo... Lol, sorry I didn't elaborate in my first post.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
JOHNSONROD

i didnt read my info. i got it directly from the lead mechanic at the GM R and D tech center in warren michigan.
everyone believes info from a source they trust. im not trying to argue with ya. i just believe my sources just like you do. if you have a buddy at the dealership your probably all set but i dont and im always the guy who gets his order wrong at the burger king so im playing it safe. im a road track guy anyway so 20 HP means nothing compared to line and driver skill.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Frost

Drives: GM anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
i didnt read my info. i got it directly from the lead mechanic at the GM R and D tech center in warren michigan.
everyone believes info from a source they trust. im not trying to argue with ya. i just believe my sources just like you do. if you have a buddy at the dealership your probably all set but i dont and im always the guy who gets his order wrong at the burger king so im playing it safe. im a road track guy anyway so 20 HP means nothing compared to line and driver skill.
When you crash your car out there your insurance isn't gonna cover you; doesn't sound like playing it safe at all. There is some irony to sweating the warranty over the way other owners choose to enjoy their car when you could destroy the entire car and not be covered doing it the way that you enjoy.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Kwik

Drives: car
SCT with a JRE tune.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
JOHNSONROD

ever hear of HPDE insurance? im not tryin to cut into your livelyhood here friend, i only replied to the OP so he would research it for himself and make the right choice for him. thats all. i dont have a dog in the tune vs non tune fight. the info i provided him with was accurate. heck, ill probably tune mine at some point in the future. i know the risks and its my decision. i just wanted to be sure he knew the pros and cons of it.
its like a bugillion times safer driving aggressive on the track than it is on the street.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
ive been recommended several times to get a programmer for my ss but dont kno much about them. What are the PROS and CONS to a programmer? and what is the best one?
There are 4 hand Held programmers that I know of for the new Camaro and I can sell any of them.

Hypertech and Superchips are over the counter 1 size fits all tune included NO Aftermarket support for modifications like Headers, CAIs, cams, blowers etc.

SCT and Diablo both have Over the counter tunes and the ablilty to accept and install Custom Tunes as well as data logging.

SCT has Shown to be the Superior Tuning Solution both for Mail order Custom tunes and Best Support as far as Computer tuning access from my side.

I recommend SCT X3 Power Flash hand Held Tuner and I include 1 Free Tune for Bolt Ons like Headers and CAI.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote