Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Best mods and keep your warrenty!

Ok guys, so I would like to keep my warrenty for a wiel and I am getting a 2ss m6. So my plan was to do longtubes, edelbrock X pipe into 1 chamber flowmasters, a cold air setup and some tires for the track. If I need to take the car in, I will just put the manifolds and cats back on before I take it. I know a tune is out, but what else could I do that would not effect the warrenty for performance? In the long run I want a supercharger and cam, but that will be after a few years. Thanks
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I'd avoid the long tubes. Without a tune to take advantage of them it's be a waste of money. Get a good CAI, catback and suspension mods.
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Yeah i agree ^^^^^ long tubes are out of the question! Long tubes and or no cats will make your check engine light go on. You need a tune to cancel out the cats and also to take full advantage of the headers! Having a catback exhaust should be no problem at the dealer and the cai can be swapped out to the factory air box if needed pretty fast. Might not have to switch the cai out but to avoid any hassles i would do it depending on what your taking your car in for.
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
CAI Industries Cold Air Intake or ADM Cold Air Intake will give you some extra HP at the back wheels. And they add some awesome sound at WOT.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
i got the cai brand cai and corsa catbacks and that's all i'm doin for at least a year.
then we're talkin cam, tune, long tubes and twin turbo.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
hotrodhoodrat
hotrodhoodratz

Drives: 68' & 70' Pontiac's /2004 D. Dakota
Keep it stock tell your warranty expires, its a can of worms if something goes wrong & you can't remove the parts right away, their was a guy here just talking a bought this, he serviced a Corvette (Dealership Mechanic) that had a broken drive-line or something like that, any ways they fixed it and took the vet out to make sure it was all good, well the Mechanic found out it was modded, just enough that it was the cause for the breakage, (W.staff) told the owner of the vet, he had to pay for it.
IMO, I think if you can afford it (replacing a new motor or transmission & or both), go for it., but if you can't, don't !
I've seen this for over 20+ years, on my local drag strip, some guys break something on their new cars and for mouths or years you never see them again., only a few come back.
I hope this helps, this is my opinion and nothing more....., Oh yea, enjoy your new Camaro.

The all new Convertible !, Welcome to the Fleet !
hotrodhoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Shorties, and CAI axle back would be safe to do
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by montej23 View Post
Shorties, and CAI axle back would be safe to do
I have always read that shorties are a waste of money. Never had them so I can not confirm this but I have had LT's and that is what I am going with. How many engines or transmission have you heard of going bad on our cars?

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
rally yellow ss rs

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
I just talked to service manager here at a big Chevy chain of dealerships. He said, when he calls in the repairs for the Camaro under warranty, the first thing they ask is does it have cai, exhaust, or aftermarket wheels. He said to me, I agree its BS and the car should have came with a performance intake and exhaust, but that GM would love to have a reason not to fork out a bunch of money on our cars. I asked him if it was up to the dealership and their disgression on making the call...he said, they have been getting stricter and are at the point that they are sending adjusters out like the ones aftermarket adjusters use on a case to case basis. Obviously a cai can be swapped quick, exhaust if you do cat back, but surely not your suspension. You can have your oem intake brought to you if your broke down, dont think the exhaust will be that easy, but jacking up your car for a suspension swap...No way. If you break down traveling far from home and the whole, well its warranteed safety net goes away when its towed in and they say its because of your mods. One reason I bought this car was because I knew the powertrain would be covered, and thats good because I drive this car hard, the way it was made to be driven. There has been too many people with things gone wrong with their camaros that I wouldnt want to risk it. Do some exterior mods-not suspension, and chill with an already fast car. Just my opinion....
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
ADM CAI
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
rally yellow ss rs

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhoodrat View Post
Keep it stock tell your warranty expires, its a can of worms if something goes wrong & you can't remove the parts right away, their was a guy here just talking a bought this, he serviced a Corvette (Dealership Mechanic) that had a broken drive-line or something like that, any ways they fixed it and took the vet out to make sure it was all good, well the Mechanic found out it was modded, just enough that it was the cause for the breakage, (W.staff) told the owner of the vet, he had to pay for it.
IMO, I think if you can afford it (replacing a new motor or transmission & or both), go for it., but if you can't, don't !
I've seen this for over 20+ years, on my local drag strip, some guys break something on their new cars and for mouths or years you never see them again., only a few come back.
I hope this helps, this is my opinion and nothing more....., Oh yea, enjoy your new Camaro.

This....
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
hotrodhoodrat
hotrodhoodratz

Drives: 68' & 70' Pontiac's /2004 D. Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally yellow ss rs View Post
This....
-k-

hotrodhoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
I am taking a measured and patient path for my RJTC. First is all the appearance stuff I want. Bling and good looks while I drive and find out how solid my car is. Every make gets a bad one out of the factory now and then. After a year if I have had zero problems I will turn the suspension mods loose. Still no probs then I will make more power. Not to mention it gives me loads of time to research exactly what I want to do.
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I am doing a CAI as soon as I get the car.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote