Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
akabunzi

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Question CEL from BBK LT install..need help

Does anyone have a definitive fix for the CEL due to headers installation? I installed BBK LTs with Flowmaster cat back exhaust. Now the CEL is on, car running rich and remote start does not work (I assume due to CEL being on).
I'm new to the site and would really love to hear what others experience is and how they dealt with it (other than a tune perhaps).
If tune is the only sure way to fix the issue, does anyone have a suggestion for where to get it done?
akabunzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
do you have shorty headers or long tube headers....
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
akabunzi

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
I have the BBK Long tube headers with hi flow cats.

I posted my question prematurely it appears...since then I found much info on this site about it. I think I will try the spark plug non fouler trick first since it's the quickest and least $.

This site is a Great resource!
akabunzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
L99 w/LT's, catback, and no tune? Isn't the drone in 4cyl AFM mode driving you nuts?

If your not going to tune, I'd pull that whole exhaust off and go back to stock.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's gonna need to be tuned.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabunzi View Post
I have the BBK Long tube headers with hi flow cats.

I posted my question prematurely it appears...since then I found much info on this site about it. I think I will try the spark plug non fouler trick first since it's the quickest and least $.

This site is a Great resource!
this is not going to work. Myself, as well as OUR BEE, have done different combinations with using single and doubling up on the non foulers. i even bought $70 extenders from SOLO because they said it worked on their setup, but it didn't on mine. Tune from Trifecta is the only way to go right now.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
L99 w/LT's, catback, and no tune? Isn't the drone in 4cyl AFM mode driving you nuts?

If your not going to tune, I'd pull that whole exhaust off and go back to stock.
he has a synergy green 2010 camaro. It's a v6.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

it shouldn't....for he has a V6 not a V8. his real problem is getting it tuned....and since the ECM hasn't REALLY been cracked to allow it to be properly tuned, well there ya go, its why most of us V6 guys just stay with an intake and exhaust. Ya Trifecta had done something....and they have been able to get rid of the CEL, but consicering that are the ONLY people saying that they can do a REAL tune.....something smells fishy, otherwise all teh turners would be cashing in with the V6 people.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
You definately need a tune, my CELs have not returned since retuning 5 weeks ago. I had the same symptoms, since tuning the car is running way, way better!!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
it shouldn't....for he has a V6 not a V8. his real problem is getting it tuned....and since the ECM hasn't REALLY been cracked to allow it to be properly tuned, well there ya go, its why most of us V6 guys just stay with an intake and exhaust. Ya Trifecta had done something....and they have been able to get rid of the CEL, but consicering that are the ONLY people saying that they can do a REAL tune.....something smells fishy, otherwise all teh turners would be cashing in with the V6 people.
huh?
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
this is not going to work. Myself, as well as OUR BEE, have done different combinations with using single and doubling up on the non foulers. i even bought $70 extenders from SOLO because they said it worked on their setup, but it didn't on mine. Tune from Trifecta is the only way to go right now.

second that , tried it all and did not work. Unfortunately a tune is the only fix right now. No the trifecta tune is not 100% but it appears to be the only one out there for now and it will get rid of the cell. I have it and passed inspection and did get rid of my cell. Have run almost 500 miles since the tune and have run the car real hard. No issues so far
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
The stock tune is highly optimized from the factory. There is no real big performance gain with just a tune. Diablo has confirmed this and has pretty much dropped their development, or at least that is the message they are sending. (have also heard this from others) So in that regard they see no market for a hand held tuner that shows no noticeable gains... That is why all the other tuners aren't cashing in!

So at this point the only option is Trifecta. And just because Vince is the only game in town doesn't mean it's not legit or real! So if you have an CEL issue, or an A/F issue, Vince is a GREAT SOURCE for a tune to correct your issues! Also, if you have an automatic Vince's tranny calibration ROCKS! It alone is worth the price of admission!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
The stock tune is highly optimized from the factory. There is no real big performance gain with just a tune. Diablo has confirmed this and has pretty much dropped their development, or at least that is the message they are sending. (have also heard this from others) So in that regard they see no market for a hand held tuner that shows no noticeable gains... That is why all the other tuners aren't cashing in!

So at this point the only option is Trifecta. And just because Vince is the only game in town doesn't mean it's not legit or real! So if you have an CEL issue, or an A/F issue, Vince is a GREAT SOURCE for a tune to correct your issues! Also, if you have an automatic Vince's tranny calibration ROCKS! It alone is worth the price of admission!

Not getting much extra HP out of a tune isn't uncommon these days. Look at the 370z and even our L99s. Also, look at the stuff Vince has done for the guys with STS turbos. He's the real deal. Other's don't see the money in it, but it seems to be just as much about the challenge as the money for Vince.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Every time someone brings up the tune issue you say it isn't cracked/ no tune for the v6. He has cracked it and is tuning it. Although there may not be huge "gains" to be had from just the tune, I think he's doing what our ecu is allowing to be done. If it weren't for the CEL, the shorter tires and the nitrous I wouldn't be spending the cash on it, as mine is a standard trans so no tranny tune for me. We work with Vince this Thursday.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote