Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
so i might have a problem...

so i was coming home from my girlfriends house, and ive been driving for a while, and i notice my oil temp is still sitting at zero as if i had just turned it on cold. so i just figure that my gauge was acting silly, and it was no big deal. but later on i pulled over at a rest stop and heard what sounded like all of my fans going at full blast under the hood. even sitting there in the car i could hear the fans goin pretty loud.

does anyone have an idea as to what my problem is? i did drive for 2 hours like this and nothing happened and the car didnt perform any different or do anything out of the ordinary, but i was scared to death she was going to overheat at any moment, especially since the gauge for that went out
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Did you check your oil pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
so i was coming home from my girlfriends house, and ive been driving for a while, and i notice my oil temp is still sitting at zero as if i had just turned it on cold. so i just figure that my gauge was acting silly, and it was no big deal. but later on i pulled over at a rest stop and heard what sounded like all of my fans going at full blast under the hood. even sitting there in the car i could hear the fans goin pretty loud.

does anyone have an idea as to what my problem is? i did drive for 2 hours like this and nothing happened and the car didnt perform any different or do anything out of the ordinary, but i was scared to death she was going to overheat at any moment, especially since the gauge for that went out
If your oil pressure gage read ok and your engine temp. gage read in range you should have been ok.Next time I would have checked those things first before driving so long.Like right away.Oil temp sender could be shot?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

my oil pressure was fine, sat a little before 120 like it always does
Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
buzzy56
buzzy56

Quote:
my oil pressure was fine, sat a little before 120 like it always does
That does not sound right.My oil pressure runs 45-55 cold and 30-45 at idle and goes to about 45-50 when I get on it.If you were running 120 oil pressure you would be in big trouble.way to high!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Raven02TA

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Transam. 2004 Tahoe,
Send a message via AIM to Raven02TA
are you sure you dont mean your coolant temperature? your oil pressure only reads as high as 80. and if oil pressure reads 0.....you better not be driving it

you can change the oil pressure sensor. and if it still reads zero. more than likely your oil pump is shot, or the oil pump o-ring has gone bad. (pretty common on fbodies)

do not drive with 0 oil pressure. because if the pump is really shot (and you "Think" its just the sensor) you will regret it when you have to replace the motor. just sayin'

Raven02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you are showing way too much oil presure.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
If you are pushing 120 psi oil pressure you better get some rags to clean the oil up.
lewylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

well keep in mind i have a V6, which reads 0, 60, and 120, whereas the V8s read 0, 40, and 80, i think...i went through the car manual and i think i recall reading that. and it also doesnt sit right on the 120, like if the area between 60 and 120 was divided into 4ths, then it would sit 3/4ths of the way towards 120. im fairly sure its been like this since the day i got it, but it doesnt explain why my temp gauge doesnt work and why all my fans turn on as soon as i start the car
Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
buzzy56
buzzy56

TRY THIS MAYBY?

Borrow a infared temperature gun.Warm up the engine real good.Shut her down and take a few temp.readings around the heads and compare.Dont know if this will work but who knows.Might give you a better idea of actual temperature.Just a thought?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
well keep in mind i have a V6, which reads 0, 60, and 120, whereas the V8s read 0, 40, and 80, i think...i went through the car manual and i think i recall reading that. and it also doesnt sit right on the 120, like if the area between 60 and 120 was divided into 4ths, then it would sit 3/4ths of the way towards 120. im fairly sure its been like this since the day i got it, but it doesnt explain why my temp gauge doesnt work and why all my fans turn on as soon as i start the car
Taken from a terrible youtube video, but you can see what I'm talking about right at the beginning of it. Look at this guy's oil pressure gauge. This is at WOT.

Name:  oil gauge.JPG
Views: 2280
Size:  20.0 KB

Your oil pressure is too high. It should be reading somewhere right around the middle of that gauge, not almost to the top. If GM meant for the car to run that high, they would have put a higher-reading gauge in. How else can you tell if its above normal? Just because its always been that way doesn't mean it should be that way.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
Taken from a terrible youtube video, but you can see what I'm talking about right at the beginning of it. Look at this guy's oil pressure gauge. This is at WOT.

Attachment 184357

Your oil pressure is too high. It should be reading somewhere right around the middle of that gauge, not almost to the top. If GM meant for the car to run that high, they would have put a higher-reading gauge in. How else can you tell if its above normal? Just because its always been that way doesn't mean it should be that way.
- X
ok so my oil pressure is too high. how can i go about resolving that? and would this also relate to my temp gauge and fans?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
ok so my oil pressure is too high. how can i go about resolving that? and would this also relate to my temp gauge and fans?
Could be a bad pressure relief valve, or the wrong oil viscocity, or a bad gauge. As for the temp, make sure you don't have a bad temp sender. If you do, that could be causing the problem with the fans (the computer turns the fans on in response to high temps).
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Hmm, could residue from lack of oil changes cause the gauge to read higher? Mine will at times read the normal 40psi but I've always seen it twitch between 60-65 on hard acceleration then kinda level off to 55 at WOT.

LS engine thing?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
Could be a bad pressure relief valve, or the wrong oil viscocity, or a bad gauge. As for the temp, make sure you don't have a bad temp sender. If you do, that could be causing the problem with the fans (the computer turns the fans on in response to high temps).
- X
well i would agree with the temp sender being shot because even with a cold start my fans will come on within seconds...im 1000 miles away from my next oil change and i was late on the last one by only 200 miles or so...would there be a way for me to check my pressure relief valve myself to see if its faulty?

oh and should i even be driving it at this point? i only ever make 10 minute trips out to get something to eat but i wouldnt want to take any chances