Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
Questions about audio. New DDIN radio

Hey everyone. I just installed a new double din stereo system with the metra kit as well. Everything has been working great since I figured out a few bugs in the interface with Dave at Metra, Thanks again Dave. My next question is when I turn my radio up pretty high the bass goes out and the speakers sound awful, I don't think the speakers can handle the new power?

Anyone know how I can fix this? Do I need new amps for my speakers? I am also adding a stealth enclosure 12in sub and amp from ******** soon. Anyone know how I can solve my problem and get better sound? THANKS!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Do you have the stock BA speakers? I assume you just upgraded the head unit? If this is the case I think you answered your own question. By pushing that much bass your speakers are distorting. When you turn the bass down does the distortion go away?

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

i have the stock speaker system right now, i have a 1SS. However, the distortion certainly goes down when i lower the bass and lower the volume. My question was how can i keep the bass loud? Yes, new head unit so a larger amp would be the solution?

Thanks for your time and patience
Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Moriartii

It depends.
Is the HU that you installed powered? What outputs from the HU did you use?
You wouldnt necessarily want a bigger amp as what you have now is over driving or clipping the stock speakers (I think that is the correct term). It almost sounds like you are taking an amped signal and feeding it into the OEM amp and amping it again.

Make sense?
Cheers
K
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

hmmm that does seem to make sense, so really, i'd want to upgrade my speakers? haha i had it backwards it seems... i know the pioneer headunit i purchased is a 4Volt...? if that means anything
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Moriartii

I am not sure regarding the 4volt on the Pio HU. I am still pretty new to this myself. it does sound like you are over driving the stock BA speakers. I, at this time, am not looking at upgrading my HU so I focused on my speakers and amp so I dont know much about HU's. I would say upgrading the speakers and amp would be a good idea, I would say also someone more knowledgeable should be along in a bit.

Cheers
K
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

hahaha okay, thanks for all the help though. certainly shed some light on the situation for sure

Tags
amp, double din radio custom, metra, sound system, subwoofer