Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Advice to snowbound winter Camaro drivers

Lucky for me, my Camaro is tucked away for the winter. If you're one of the unfortunate / nutty types who insist on driving this car in winter, I have a suggestion: Go to the mall.

Do this. Wait until the next snow and drive your car to the mall at night when no one is there, then practice.

Drive fast, turn hard, hit the brakes, forget the brakes, pull your parking brake. Spin your car, lose control. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Stay on the snow and ice. The deeper the snow and more slippery the ice, the better. (Not too deep - you don't want to get stuck!)

Then practice gaining control back. Steer out of spins. Imagine rugrats chasing their sleds in front of your car. Turn like hell to avoid them then correct to gain control back.

Try all of the above with and without the various computer controlled safety features turned on and off.

When the cops show up, prove you're not hammered, and then say you're practicing safe driving because that's just what you're doing.

What you will learn with all of this is how to keep your car out of a crash in lousy, snowy, crappy conditions found so often in this lousy snowbound wasteland known as the Great White North. You'll learn how to save your car, save your life and possibly the life of someone else.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
Did it, do it, every year (almost) with all my cars. Especially when I change tires for the season. Good advice, every driver should do this, the roads would be safer. And yes I am driving my 2SS in full on winter in Montreal...just not every day, only really when the roads are clear. eB

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
When the cops showed up I got a ticket for eratic driving.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Haha I used to do this in my old truck... not because I was practicing but because it was fun...

Cop shop was across the street... they'd just tell me not to hit any poles
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Did it last night in the safari van. Cop showed up and asked if I was "looking -a-round"? Kids loved it, I got alittle sick.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
sugar'n'spice

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Lucky for me, my Camaro is tucked away for the winter. If you're one of the unfortunate / nutty types who insist on driving this car in winter, I have a suggestion: Go to the mall.

Do this. Wait until the next snow and drive your car to the mall at night when no one is there, then practice.

Drive fast, turn hard, hit the brakes, forget the brakes, pull your parking brake. Spin your car, lose control. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Stay on the snow and ice. The deeper the snow and more slippery the ice, the better. (Not too deep - you don't want to get stuck!)

Then practice gaining control back. Steer out of spins. Imagine rugrats chasing their sleds in front of your car. Turn like hell to avoid them then correct to gain control back.

Try all of the above with and without the various computer controlled safety features turned on and off.

When the cops show up, prove you're not hammered, and then say you're practicing safe driving because that's just what you're doing.

What you will learn with all of this is how to keep your car out of a crash in lousy, snowy, crappy conditions found so often in this lousy snowbound wasteland known as the Great White North. You'll learn how to save your car, save your life and possibly the life of someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver View Post
Did it, do it, every year (almost) with all my cars. Especially when I change tires for the season. Good advice, every driver should do this, the roads would be safer. And yes I am driving my 2SS in full on winter in Montreal...just not every day, only really when the roads are clear. eB

When I read what Mark said...funny how I thought of you, Eric!!! Hahaha!

you all should get together with all of us real soon!!!
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
When I was learning to drive with my driving instructor 7 years ago....he pulled the handbrake on me on a public street around a corner without warning to see how I would react. I did well
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
this should be part of driver training. that sort of practice can save your but. when my boy was 14 i got him a car that was on the way to the dump. We towed it out to logging roads and lerned him to slide a car on gravel. he had a ball and is a good driver now.
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
bumblebee rules

Drives: 2010 BumbleBee ready to go now
Everyone should have a chance to do that , even if it isn't in the Camaro you would still learn alot, I started on the farm in the grain truck LOL the Camaro does handle a little different LOL . Be safe out there eh .............:-)
We found "IT" Check us out at www.wildcountrypowersports.ca Alberta's newest and Barrhead's LARGEST Polaris Dealer .... Oh yeah AND Honda .... lol AND as of just lately Yamaha .... Now we can pay for gas again :-)

CAN NOT WAIT TILL SPRING !!!!!!!!!!! Until Then BBBRRRAAAPPPPPPPPPP
bumblebee rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
I've always put the SS away for the winter since I got it in '98 and drove a beater. With both the SS and the beater sold this year, this is the first winter since '98 that I'm driving my car all year round.
Coincidentally, I did exactly what you've described last week and took the car to an (almost) empty parking lot to play to get a feel for how the winter tires work and how the car handles, turns, stops etc. in the snow. Absolutely the best thing you can do!!
I also was playing with a new Samsung Galaxy Android phone and testing its video capabilities! Too bad about the 3 trailers left in the lot.
Don't get dizzy! LOL!

Best regards,

Elie