Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Don't kid yourself, you know it will.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
I thought the production car is going to get quite a bit narrower than the concept
No. If I remember correctly (and I'm 99% postitive of this), the concept Camaro was being shown, there was an interview and they were talking about the changes to the production model. It was said that the concept was 6 inches wider than any Camaro ever produced. They asked what was going to change. Along with other stuff, it was said that the width would shrink by a 1/2 an inch....still making it 5 1/2 inches wider than any Camaro produced. Give me a couple of min's. I know that thread is here somewhere.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=change

and...an older thread...
Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

and another one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Take the coupe specifications and make these changes...
roofline - 12 mm higher
width - 1/2 inch narrower
wheelbase - 50mm longer.

I think this is right.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 AM   #19
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Well I'm glad it's keeping it's wide stance. Makes it look better in this case
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Heck yeah!!! IMO, the wider, the better. The better handling, the better cornering...and with the IRS??? Oh yeah... This one's going to ride like a beauty!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #21
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I'm not leaving mine stock. Upgrading the chassis parts, the suspension parts, adding a cage. Not to mention a good bit of massaging some extra power from that LS3. I'm not just aiming for a straight line dragster, I want a well rounded car. Glad to see that GM is making that a reality
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:35 AM   #22
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I like your thinking.

However none of that is happening to mine until the warranty is out or I'm sure that it's not gonna break so I need the warranty after I mod it.

I can't figure out how to spell warranty, and Firefox apparently doesn't think it's a real world...it tries to spell it guarantee.

Eh.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:00 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Warranty is correct. I added an instant dictionary to my Firefox, and dictionary.com accepted "warranty"
Old 07-29-2007, 02:49 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Old 07-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #25
leedsladmatt

Drives: 2001 Audi A6
well it seems more and more boxes are been ticked in the "pros" column
has it been confirmed that the Camaro will have IRS? or i9s that optomisitc speculation at this point?
leedsladmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #26
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
Hi Matt

A fellow Brit here (from Newbury in Berkshire).

The Camaro is due to be using a lot of the hardware from the Zeta platform (Holden Commodore for Oz, Pontiac G8 for the US and the Vauxhall VXR8 for us)......so IRS is pretty much a given. Size-wise, I'm sure you'll fit, I know someone around 6ft 5" and they fit OK in an '05 Mustang.

It will come in RHD too. Pricing? I reckon it's going to be around £40k (at the current exchange rate, that's $80k to our American friends!!). I can't see it being sold cheaper than the VXR8 and that retails around £35k. A Corvette C6 is around £45k, so I reckon on somewhere in between.

However, it'll be interesting to see if it's sold in Vauxhall dealerships. The Corvettes aren't, they are sold at a few GM/Cadillac dealers such as Stratstones.....so the Camaro may be sold there too. I'm not a badge snob, but I hope they sell it as a Chevrolet and not a Vauxhall. Just a pity Chevy in this country now mean re-badged Daewoos. :(

It'll also be interesting to see how much imports go for. There are plenty of places already setup selling Mustangs over here.....and as Mustangs aren't sold here by Ford the lack of RHD doesn't impact values. With official RHD Camaros, imported LHD ones may seem the "poor relation" and prices may drop. Still, there are plenty of US car fans in the UK who will prefer the wheel on the left anyway.

I'm a Ford boy and will be getting an '05 either late this year or early next (don't hate me fellas - I still love Camaros too, but the price of the new one's too much for me!). I can't wait to see the Camaro when it finally lands over here and I'll be at the first dealer/importer having an up close and personal look!

Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #27
leedsladmatt

Drives: 2001 Audi A6
Hey twinturbo,

I was thinking it would be stratstones that sell it, I can't see them re-badging it as a Vauxhall as Chevy seem to be trying to make a name in the UK. even if that is (corvette aside) by selling rebadged daewoos.

Price wise I can see where your coming from, my hoenst hope is that they will start at the late 20's as if the base model is £35k you throw on some options and your talking corvette money or high end german kit, and i dont think a US car will compete here no matter how brilliant it is unless it has that lovely hook of been cheaper
leedsladmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #28
Twin Turbo

Drives: '05 Ford Mustang
If they import the v6, that may come in around the high £20k mark, but I can't see a v8 coming in any less than the VXR8....so mid to high £30k mark.

I think selling the v6 model may be a mistake. When the Monaro went on sale, the ration was something like 75/25 in favour of the more potent/expensive VXR than the base CV8.

There are also loads of v6 Mustangs in the UK classifieds. They sell a lot slower than the v8. Despite the cost of fuel over here, we want V8s!!!!!

The Camaro, just like the Corvette, will be a tiny niche in the UK selling maybe a few hundrew a year. I also heard that GM may bring them in an SVA them, almost like a personal import, as the car wasn't designed to pass UK/European pedestrian crash tests....and that would be prohibitively expensive to do on so few cars.

Cheers

Paul
Twin Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote