Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
PhillyC

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Stripes
So where's the Camaro commercial?

I was sitting watching TV this morning and on comes a pretty cool Ford Mustang commercial. The commercial really showed off the car and extolled the virtues of the fuel efficiency and power of the V6. Great marketing to show that you can have a "cool" muscle car with good power and still have fuel economy.

At the end of the commercial my 16 year old daughter turns to me and says "what a Mustang instead of the Camaro Dad?" I nearly spit my coffee. I had to explain to her that the not only is the Camaro a better car it's not ugly like the Mustang. And then I showed her the picture of the Camaro Im planning to get and she said "oooooo yeah that's much nicer looking."

But it occurred to me that she'd have been sold on the Mustang based on that commercial. Chevy really needs to get their marketing going or Ford may eat their lunch with the younger generation. Which would be absolutely tragic.

Thoughts?
PhillyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
1. You daughter may have been sold on the idea but how often has she wanted something from a commercial that she actually payed for?

2. Until recently the Camaro has been outselling the competition pretty handly, so don't think it's a huge concern for them.

They may put up a commercial for the Camaro but it seems to be very popular so word of mouth should take care of that
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
PhillyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post
1. You daughter may have been sold on the idea but how often has she wanted something from a commercial that she actually payed for?
Good point. She's pretty savvy about marketing for a 16 year old. Try to reach her to not just buy a product based on marketing. But marketing definitely plays a role. It's why I'd like to see GM market the Camaro more.

Quote:
2. Until recently the Camaro has been outselling the competition pretty handly, so don't think it's a huge concern for them.
I hear that on these forums and I saw the stats but it's not perception in my region. I see dozens of Mustangs everyday and its a rarity when I see a Camaro. I live in the east bay of the the SF Bay area.

Quote:
They may put up a commercial for the Camaro but it seems to be very popular so word of mouth should take care of that
Around here I'm not sure word of mouth will work as my perception is that the Mustang is far more popular around this part of CA. Maybe when I finally get mine and drive it each day I can start spreading the word myself.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Next Camaro commerical starts in July. It is called Transformers 3
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
PhillyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
LOL! Good point.

Not sure it's effective for the younger gen. My daughter didn't even realize that Bumblebee is a Camaro. I wonder if she's typical of her generation.

However, It worked for me though. I've wanted a new Camaro since I saw the original Transformer movie. But I've also wanted a '68 SS since I drove in one back in high school. You see, I was already a Camaro fan and recognized Bumblebee as a Camaro in the movie. I wonder if the younger generation has that same recognition.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
P3SAR
Waiting to Drive

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM w/SIM
The commercial/infomercial called Transformers aims at a very important demographic. I don't know if car companies need to aim for young children for car sales.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I sort of like the fact that the camaro doesn't need commercials to sell.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
whitetiger777

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
If they do want to make a Camaro commercial send them my way. I'd love the opportunity to direct it.
whitetiger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
It's definitely not just you: I live in South Bay and I see at least 20x more Mustangs on the road than Camaros. Lots of times, it seems like mine is the only one in the area.

That said, Camaros are eating the Mustang's lunch AND dinner based on the sales figures so I'm pretty happy about that
Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Not sure if you saw the Camaro SuperBowl spot, but here it is.

Hopefully we'll get another commercial, showcasing the ZL1.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
I sort of like the fact that the camaro doesn't need commercials to sell.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post
Good point. She's pretty savvy about marketing for a 16 year old. Try to reach her to not just buy a product based on marketing. But marketing definitely plays a role. It's why I'd like to see GM market the Camaro more.

I hear that on these forums and I saw the stats but it's not perception in my region. I see dozens of Mustangs everyday and its a rarity when I see a Camaro. I live in the east bay of the the SF Bay area.

Around here I'm not sure word of mouth will work as my perception is that the Mustang is far more popular around this part of CA. Maybe when I finally get mine and drive it each day I can start spreading the word myself.

First, don't confuse Advertising with Marketing. From what I hear and read, it's older folks, me included, that still rely on TV advertising. Damn kids these days and their Twitter and Facebook. LOL

Second, in California, well for some reason you guys think it's more hip to drive the least reliable import than ANY American made car. GM does just OK in California for Trucks, but for cars???? Not so much. The big 3 don't do so well on the coasts. And regardless of why this is, TV commercials won't fix it.

And as for Mustangs.........well Ford was building Mustangs from 2003 to 2010, so it's not surprising you see a lot more of the newer Mustangs than Camaros.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
eflynnbot
The People's Choice

Drives: 11 CGM 2SS RS
Yay and advertising thread! John Fitzpatrick and the Camaro marketing team have a smart marketing strategy for this car. Fish where the fish are. Have you been keeping track of how many racing events the Camaro has been the pacecar of? The answer is a bunch.

Just this week at Texas Motor Speedway they also had a fleet of black convertibles parading around the track. They also did exclusives around the Superbowl and they have T3 coming up. TV is a mass media strategy but this is not a really a mass audience car. While it would be nice to see Camaro spots all the time it's not really an effective use of marketing money. They get alot more bang for the buck doing these events and things like T3.

They get big credit in my book for looking at a bunch of alternative strategies for getting this car in front of eyeballs. Plus I think not being on TV so much really adds to the allure and mystique of this car. I think it tends to make people ohh and ahh a little more because they don't see it everyday.

Last edited by eflynnbot; 04-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.
eflynnbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
+1