Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
best amp to get?

i want to get the ******** harness (x3) and use and aftermarket amp (monoblock) and want to get either 15's or 12's i want to get a good amp that wouldn't underpower the suibs could i get an amp that has a would over power and and not burn the subs out? and also anyone else use 0 gauge wire for the amp? lol im open to any brands,as long as they wont break in a week or month.

would i need a capactior?
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
I run an Audison 5.1K (not the cheapest) that runs my whole car plus 2 12s. 0 issues and no capacitor is needed.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
khalsa013

Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
Lol wow, just wondering why not a capacitor? Any suggestions to get with kicker L7 15's? JL W7 15's?? Would zero gauge be fine? Would the sound get distorted if its pulling out of stock amp? Just Wana clear it up b4 I buy something
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalsa013 View Post
Lol wow, just wondering why not a capacitor? Any suggestions to get with kicker L7 15's? JL W7 15's?? Would zero gauge be fine? Would the sound get distorted if its pulling out of stock amp? Just Wana clear it up b4 I buy something
JL doesn't sell a W7 15, they go up 13.

My last amp was an old school Soundstream TR1600. All chrome weighed a ton and looked BA. They don't make em like that anymore. I'd say look into the JL 1000w amps for subs. Its what I'd get now, if I couldn't find another TR1600 that is.
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Indy-
I saw your post regarding running your whole car plus two 12" on the audison 5.1k.

Could you give me a channel break down of what you are pushing please? I looked at the audison 5.1k but could not discern the config. If I could get away with a single amp I would make things easier.

Cheers
K

PS. I went to send this to you in a PM but your box is full get to cleaning up.
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
khalsa013

Anything else?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Caps, when used on sub amps, are not a good idea... at first they seem to solve the problem, but in the end actually cause more of a draw than the amp its self... once a cap becomes "empty", its just another thing for your battery/alternator to have to fill with electricity.

In my experience, the only good use for a cap is as a power-filter on the mid/high amps to take out the power fluctuations caused by RPM changes, AC, Heater, Power Seats, Windows, etc...

As for what amp to get... there are hundreds of options. set a budget, determine what your needs are (what do you want from the sound) and buy the most clean power you can for your budget.

The Audison 5.1k as mentioned in this thread already - is an epic piece of car audio equipment, I have loved every one I have used and installed. The drawback is size.

Gauge of wire will be determined by the amp you get... if your amp can only take 4ga wire, trying to use 0ga will be a mistake. I personally am running 1/0ga but my amp can accept it.

Also... you will NEVER burn a sub up by underpowering it. If that were possible, you'd blow the crap out of everthing as soon as you turned down the volume. What kills subs/speakers is distortion, keep your signal clean and you can run as much or as little power as you want (within reason... there are mechanical and thermal limits with too much power)

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Foreverman

Drives: 1SS-RS
Sounds like you are just after a lot of loud from what i am reading. Massive makes small affordable mono block amps that would fit your needs well for that. There are a lot of companies making good things right now. You might find you will be looking for small sized amps to fit in our limited space.

You should consider finding a good 5 channel amp though to support your whole system. If all you do is add a sub then it will overpower the rest quick.
Foreverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
khalsa013

Um, I wanted to add the amp so it didn't void the warranty with the x3 harness. Steve at ******** said a hifonics 1500 and an amp would be good? I want to get a name brand so I can get the best quaility, I want clean but amazing bass. Ok for subs kicker l7 15, w7 13, what amp should I get and wire? My budget is what ever.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Um, I wanted to add the amp so it didn't void the warranty with the x3 harness. Steve at ******** said a hifonics 1500 and an amp would be good? I want to get a name brand so I can get the best quaility, I want clean but amazing bass. Ok for subs kicker l7 15, w7 13, what amp should I get and wire? My budget is what ever.
oh, well if your looking for the best quality, big name brand is not the way to go.

90% of the best gear made is non-name brand.

Brax, Helix, Genesis, Audison, Zapco, McIntosh... some of the best brands money can buy, not name brand.

if your looking for reliable, its the same deal... name-brand doesnt mean quality anymore...

if your budget is whatever... grab a Sundown SAZ monoblock or grab one of the ZED Audio (Zed audio, Stephen Mantz company the guy that designed some of the best amps ever made, designed and made in the USA) Minotaur.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverman View Post
Sounds like you are just after a lot of loud from what i am reading. Massive makes small affordable mono block amps that would fit your needs well for that. There are a lot of companies making good things right now. You might find you will be looking for small sized amps to fit in our limited space.

You should consider finding a good 5 channel amp though to support your whole system. If all you do is add a sub then it will overpower the rest quick.

That's what I ended up getting. Massive N4 is 2000 CEA compliant watts for $325 on sonicelectronix using make offer. Also got the NX4 for the highs. Great looking and small/efficient amps.

In the mid price range, I also like Alpine PDX, JL HD series, any of the new small amps.

If you have more $$$ see topdown's post.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
khalsa013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
oh, well if your looking for the best quality, big name brand is not the way to go.

90% of the best gear made is non-name brand.

Brax, Helix, Genesis, Audison, Zapco, McIntosh... some of the best brands money can buy, not name brand.

if your looking for reliable, its the same deal... name-brand doesnt mean quality anymore...

if your budget is whatever... grab a Sundown SAZ monoblock or grab one of the ZED Audio (Zed audio, Stephen Mantz company the guy that designed some of the best amps ever made, designed and made in the USA) Minotaur.
ok cool, if you could redo your system again what would you have done? what amp would u chose specific model and brand? and go a full replacement or just a monoblock? this is turning out well!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
SIL N BK

Drives: 2010 camaro
If you want the best get a Butler Audio - Tube Driver Blue amp. It will sound better than the Audison or a McIntosh.
SIL N BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
khalsa013

i honestly don't know which one to get i always thought like rockford fosgate and the name brands were always good, something new.currently looking at reviews and prices everywhere. also what kind of a sub is good name brand or not?