Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Me too - chipping probs with pics...

So I've had my 2SS for about one and a half years now. It is a daily driver with about 21,000 miles on it now. While I have had it on the snow a few times, it's still my baby and has never seen a gravel road.

Shortly after getting it, I began noticing that the gill area was *especially* prone to getting hit with rock chips...and having the paint removed. Certainly the entire car (like the front) will get hit and I understand that's just part of car ownership, but the gills on both sides (especially the driver side) seems to be a huge target.

When I first noticed it, I began talking to my dealership. I noted that others (mainly here) had been discussing it too. My dealership was awesome and I definitely had their attention. Just when I thought they were about to do something about it..............they went out of business.

I got busy over the last few months and didn't have time to focus on the problem. Recently another local dealership (without a body shop) referred me to a dealership (with a body shop) about 30 miles away. I figured they could look at my issue and easily determine that there is indeed a problem. Instead, I felt like I got laughed at....especially when I mentioned that others "on the internet" had experienced some paint issues. I felt the guy was totally insensitive and outright cocky with me. In fact, he repeated mocked me with "ohhhhhh it's on the internet." I explained that while it was indeed on the internet, one only needed to look at the car for proof of the problem.

I left with a little bit of anger and realized that he was going to be useless.

A few more weeks have passed and I've not had time to pursue this -- but it's something worth pursuing.

Take a look at my attached photo of the driver side gill.

The passenger side is pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as the driver side.

As I stated earlier, I fully expect chipping and rocks and such to happen -- but this is really, really overkill. I'm not fussing at the few specks on the hood or the front.

Out of curiosity, I stopped at a local collision repair place to see what they'd charge for a repaint -- $700 per side was the cheapest I could find. Of course, I'm sure GM could do it for less than half, maybe...dunno.

I absolutely LOVE my 2SS, but I'm really considering just trading it in for a Wrangler or something where some rock chips aren't going to worry me. As it stands, these bug the heck out of me. Most people don't notice them because, from more than a few feet away, the specks looks like a little splattered mud or something.

The one useful thing the dealership guy did was to give me the name (Omar Aparicio) of the regional manager, but didn't give me his phone number. No biggie -- google is great. I don't know whether it's useless to contact him.

The bottom line is that, like many of you, I paid $40k for a car with paint falling of it. I simply don't have the time to chase down every possible lead to convince GM to do something about it -- maybe someone here has had some success?

I've read through many of the threads over the last year and have seen that some dealerships are agreeing to do a repaint, some are not.

I dunno what to do... I just don't want to go to dealership to dealership only to be laughed at lol.

Last edited by 2Fast4Mu; 06-10-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typos
2Fast4Mu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
if it was me I would get it repainted and put a 3M clear bra over the area.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Yes, if I had only known about the bra at the time....... if it's repainted, I will definitely get the bra -- no questions.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
SSiick

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
My gills look the same as yours. The front edge of my rockers was even worse, down to the plastic. I was able to get a dealership to paint the rockers and install splash guards without any cost to me, however they wouldnt paint the gills. They did say it would be about $2k to fix my gills/rear quarters. My argument is the same as yours, why does my $37k car already have $2k in paint damage with only 8500 miles on it????
SSiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Do you have pics to post? I would really like to see. Though I don't necessarily like the splash guards, I'd agree to install them if they do the repairs.
Also, I have the email address to the regional manager guy. I'm going to forward this thread to him soon - so pics would be awesome.

Anyone else with pics?

I was waiting to get the next gen Camaro, but if GM treats me this way, I may consider just moving on. I've had three Camaros and unless there's a positive resolution, it'll sadly be my last.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I put splash guards on my car after I noticed a few chips. I hope it helps. I don't want my car looking that bad after 21,000 miles!

But a lot of it has to do with the shape of the car and sticky tires, not the paint unfortunately. The car should come with stealth mudflaps from the factory and if anybody is to vain to have them on they can remove them and deal with the chips. Go look at the 2011 Mustang. It definitely has built in splash guards to prevent this... Chevy could easily do this.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

At present, I think there's too much damage for me to worry about flaps. Like I said, I'm happy to put them on after repairs -- in fact, I'd want to.

As for the Mustang..........I think I'm just too vain to drive a Mustang
But you're right, the protection on 'em is good. Chevy should do the same.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

I will add, though, that my older third and fourth gen Camaros, even at almost 100,000 miles, didn't have any kind of damage like this. When I sold them, their bodies were in awesome shape.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
PlankeySS2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
My car has the splash guards and has since day one. It helps a little, but I still have plenty of small chips very similar to your picture. VERY FRUSTRATING
PlankeySS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
CamaroCruzin

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
I like everyone else without splash guards have this issue. I called GM customer service and had my complaint forwarded up to the regional manager but all they said was that since there are no TSB's on this from GM there is nothing that they are going to do about it. I am very upset spending 30k on anew vehicle and then having to fork out at least an extra 500 to 700 dollars on not only the splash guards but the 3m protectant as well for a very well known and discussed FACTORY issue. I thought this was the "new" GM.... seems like not much has changed.
CamaroCruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Document here...upload your pics
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Whatever process GM uses on the pickup trucks is what they should use on the Camaro.

I have examined high mileage new GM trucks and a rock might cause a dent to them but no paint seems to chip at the point of impact.

Perhaps the low stance of the Camaro leads to more debris touching the vehicle though.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
BlackPlague

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT (Prod. #115)
i had some bad chips in that area...though apparently they weren't chips at all...i took a clay bar with some soapy water to the area and it looked totally fresh afterwards

2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT 6M, Prod #115, Black W/ Cyber Grey stripes [TRADED]
BlackPlague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPlague View Post
i had some bad chips in that area...though apparently they weren't chips at all...i took a clay bar with some soapy water to the area and it looked totally fresh afterwards
Nah, these are 100% chips...certain of it, unfortunately.