Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Question 1/4 mile shift points for STOCK LS3 Camaro

Next Sunday(7-17) will be my first time EVER down a drag strip, so I could use some help... At what rpm is it best to shift the LS3 Camaro at for drag racing? From the dyno graphs I've seen on here the HP peaks around 5k, while the torque tops out around 6 and the two seem to intersect around 5,200, so it seems to me that that is the optimal rpm. So maybe 5,500 is where you'd shift in a race? I rarely take it over 5k when "playing" on the back roads around here.

The car is stock other than a muffler delete, I plan on dropping my rear tire pressure to 30psi, and from what I've read in other threads, 2k is a good launch rpm. Any other pointers will be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
I shift at 6200. Feels right to me
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
From the dyno graphs I've seen on here the HP peaks around 5k, while the torque tops out around 6 and the two seem to intersect around 5,200, so it seems to me that that is the optimal rpm.
Because Horsepower is just a number based on an equation from Torque, they will always cross at 5252 RPMs. If they do not, something is wrong w/ the dyno graph.

Equation:
Horsepower = (Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Shifting under 6 is not even close to optimal! You want to shift these things just past peak HP... thats about 5900-6000 but they keep pulling hard past that, 6200-6500 will be the best shift points, then you will be higher in your power band in the next gear as well. When I shift mine at 6500 it pulls noticably harder. Speed in the top end is so high with these motors because of the power band up top... they hold close to peak power for a long time and the higher revs make more speed.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
6K for me.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Thanks, guys! I'll have to make some practice runs this week shifting between 6-6,500 and see what feels best.....
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
OP - much like you the one and only time I went down a drag strip was in my stock 2010 LS3. If your experinece is like mine - it will be the launch that is the challenge. I shifted right as the tach swept past 6 K and managed to miss the rev limiter every time so I thought the shifts were right on and optimal for maximum acceleration. Remember due to the multiplier effect the lower gear is still pulling harder even just past max HP than you are going to get in the next gear. Its the launch in the LS3 6MT that is tough. I didn't master it my day at the track (too much wheel spin). From what many others have posted who have gotten a good 60 ft. - they have rode the clutch out a little and rolled into the throttle vs. the temtation to floor the gas and dump the clutch.

Also, I didn't worry about reaction time as I wanted to find out what the car could do w/o that added pressure since I knew I was no professional and unlikely to beat anyone with a good car anyway.

Good luck - have fun. I did. My car did great as I trapped a 108 with a bad 60 ft. of 2.444. So the car had the stuff - just not me - yet!
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Thanks.....I'm pretty sure I'll screw up the launch, either bog it down or do a nice burnout, lol. I just don't want to be short shifting the heck out of it once I get moving. I'm tempted to leave the TC on so I don't go up in smoke, what's everybody's opinion on that?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
NO traction, I did that on mistake once and it was a mess!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
SSDan

For what it is worth I made my 3 runs in about as stock of a configuration as you can get. I left all nanny controls on. Used normal tire pressure. Didn't even turn off the a/c. Drove around the water box. Did not do any burn out. Completely stock powertrain including leaving the engine cover on. So I drove it just like I got it from the dealer. It was past break in mileage wise and I did wring it out by shifting as late as I could without bouncing the rev limiter. Like I mentioned the car ran great hitting a 108 trap speed even with me (the rookie) launching it.

I would recommend you leave the electronic stability control on even if you disarm the traction control. Last time I was at a Gen 5 meet w/ a drag strip available - I watched a couple of guys get crossed up and they came close to the wall.

I didn't try the launch control for two reasons - I got the 6MT because I want to control everything (even if I'm not so good at it) and I've read a lot of bad things about launch control on this forum ( half shaft failures - etc.).

To specifically answer your question I'd say try a run both ways - with and w/o traction control. See what you like and what makes you comfortable and in control. Honestly at the strip and on the road I have never found the traction control to be overly intrusive. It will let me spin the wheels in 1st, 2nd and 3rd ( just a chirp in third) unless I just dump the clutch on the start.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
For what it is worth I made my 3 runs in about as stock of a configuration as you can get. I left all nanny controls on. Used normal tire pressure. Didn't even turn off the a/c. Drove around the water box. Did not do any burn out. Completely stock powertrain including leaving the engine cover on. So I drove it just like I got it from the dealer. It was past break in mileage wise and I did wring it out by shifting as late as I could without bouncing the rev limiter. Like I mentioned the car ran great hitting a 108 trap speed even with me (the rookie) launching it.

I would recommend you leave the electronic stability control on even if you disarm the traction control. Last time I was at a Gen 5 meet w/ a drag strip available - I watched a couple of guys get crossed up and they came close to the wall.

I didn't try the launch control for two reasons - I got the 6MT because I want to control everything (even if I'm not so good at it) and I've read a lot of bad things about launch control on this forum ( half shaft failures - etc.).

To specifically answer your question I'd say try a run both ways - with and w/o traction control. See what you like and what makes you comfortable and in control. Honestly at the strip and on the road I have never found the traction control to be overly intrusive. It will let me spin the wheels in 1st, 2nd and 3rd ( just a chirp in third) unless I just dump the clutch on the start.
I was definitely NOT going to use launch control, I tried it once on a back road just to see what it was like, I didn't like the hesitation and big THUNK I heard/felt just before the car took off.

I'll probably try TC on for the first run just so I feel more comfortable, we'll see how it feels after I get that first run under my belt.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
I was definitely NOT going to use launch control, I tried it once on a back road just to see what it was like, I didn't like the hesitation and big THUNK I heard/felt just before the car took off.

I'll probably try TC on for the first run just so I feel more comfortable, we'll see how it feels after I get that first run under my belt.
Rocketman - good luck. I'm sure you'll have fun. Post up how you do.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
NO traction, I did that on mistake once and it was a mess!
Second that.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
take it as close to rev limiter as possible. Eventhough HP may drop you still are in a better gear which multiplies the power being put to the ground.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote