Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
Some questions about the PC

When useing the PC is it ok to use fine polish and MSW on the glass ?

So from what I understand we should be waxing the paint every 3 months or so give or take a few weeks, should we be useing the fine machine polish each time? Or will we be burning are clear up ?

Thanks the help

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Dylan or Junkman can better answer this question, but the question would be why as to the MSW and the PC on the glass? Waterspots?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
the FMP is a very tame polish, you won't cut through the clear coat using it. But again, these are questions for Dylan and/or the Junkman
Old 07-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post

So from what I understand we should be waxing the paint every 3 months or so give or take a few weeks, should we be useing the fine machine polish each time? Or will we be burning are clear up ?

Thanks the help

Pappi
Yes, you can use FMP on the glass, but SHR is the way to go if you are trying to remove water spots. I got this info from Dylan a bit ago.

Why do you want to use the PC on the glass?

FMP can be used without burning up the clear, but just waxing the car would suffice.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post

Thanks the help

Pappi
Hey Pappi,

Like the others suggested, you can use polish on glass to remove stubborn water spots, but FMP being so mild it might not get the job done. Personally I prefer Swirl & Haze Remover on the orange pad for water spot removal.

I'd skip the MSW (now called Machine Super SEALANT) on the glass... doesn't really bond well there so you'd likely be wasting effort.

On the paint you'll only polish as needed and don't concern yourself with setting a timetable for applying more sealant. Evaluate the car when you wash... if the water beads and the finish looks good then no more is needed.

If after a wash and rinse the water is going flat or 'sticking' to the paint then its time to add a fresh coat of sealant.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
Thanks all.... this is a great place to get answers and so dang fast to.

pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
To be honest if you have water spots, wash the car.
I had a serious case of water spots that I got from work due to the sprinklers and the Texas heat. Car sat out and spots developed. Prompted me to buy a pc and all the goodies.

I set off to use the PC and part of the process was a two bucket was along with my foam gun. Once I have finished the wash, foam, rinse and dry the spots were gone. I continued on with the PC since I started out to do it.

Bottom line is you may only need to wash the car in the shade to remove the spots.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
To be honest if you have water spots, wash the car.
I had a serious case of water spots that I got from work due to the sprinklers and the Texas heat. Car sat out and spots developed. Prompted me to buy a pc and all the goodies.

I set off to use the PC and part of the process was a two bucket was along with my foam gun. Once I have finished the wash, foam, rinse and dry the spots were gone. I continued on with the PC since I started out to do it.

Bottom line is you may only need to wash the car in the shade to remove the spots.

Cheers
K
That is definitely good advice, but may not work for all water spots. Tricky spots can require vinegar, clay bar, or polishing to come off.