Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
Cat VS Axle Back?

I'm debating on whether or not to get a full cat back or a simple axle back.
The car is an LS3 is this makes any difference, and I don't want to spend too much money. (Borla ATAK catback is too much, but the axle back is reasonable)

Now my question- how much of a difference in sound (tone/volume) will I notice between a catback and an axleback?

I know the LS3 has a much smaller resonator thus perhaps being less beneficial to delete with a full catback.

Heard some great clips on youtube of the ATAK axle back as well as some others- but they're just revving. I'll be DRIVING 99.99999% of the time and revving that other small percentage- so it's hard to get a real sense of how it'll sound.

Any insight to how these two systems (axle vs cat back) will differ in sound and volume would be very appreciative.

-Matt
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
SS_Matt
permagrin

Also- it should be known I'm not looking for performance gains, and don't want to sacrifice mpgs, performance, or too much moolah.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Needs Exhaust!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
Do you care about drone at all? If so, go for the SOLO j-pipe axle-back system. Sounds similar to a Borla S-Type but has no drone because of the J-Pipe.

In terms of difference between cat and axle, the major thing with the ATAK is that your H-pipe will be replaced with an X-pipe which redirects flow and somewhat smoothens the sound under WOT (a little less pop, a little more grumble) and your resonator goes bye bye. Also people tend to go Cat because they have plans for future mods ie headers, cats, etc.

In terms of sound for the ATAK, it's all about personal preference. They are both very similar sounding.

If you can, try and make it to local Camaro meets to listen to other systems. Video on youtube does not do these exhaust systems justice, and they also can deceive you with what you're buying (different sound, maybe extra mods ie LTs without stating, etc).

JBA, MBRP and Flowmaster also make excellent axlebacks. If you where looking at catbacks, I'd recommend that the Corsa and Stainless Works Retro Chambered be thrown in the mix.
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
SS_Matt
permagrin

I'm really leaning toward an axleback since they are cheaper. Honestly I'm in it for the sound 100%. Performance is not even something I'm considering.
I want loud, and good tone. And tone that I like is something like the ATAK systems from what I hear. Kind of a raw raspy kind of tone.

I love the 1 video I've found of the Flowmasters Outlaw, but that's not a axle back system as you buy from Flowmaster. I've talked to the dude and he has a 3" catback with outlaw mufflers I think...

Really leaning toward the ATAK axle back, I just hope it's loud enough...
When I had my Trans Am I had a simple cut out and it was loud enough to when I punched it in first gear- I made girls scream in the car next to me. I want it LOUD with good tone of course...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Matt View Post
I'm really leaning toward an axleback since they are cheaper. Honestly I'm in it for the sound 100%. Performance is not even something I'm considering.
Good - because sound is all you will be getting. Zero performace gains.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
SS_Matt
permagrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Good - because sound is all you will be getting. Zero performace gains.
Not a problem.

Same went with my bike. I didn't need performance (it already had it) I wanted people to hear me coming.

Granted unless I got headers, high flow cats/mufflers people won't "hear me coming" but they'll certainly hear when I'm close by.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
Go outllaw mufflers, tips of your choice.. and maybe a resonated X pipe instead of the stock resy..thats my plan. The X pipe to me is optional, so to be honest FM's outlaw would do the bidding here for what you trying to do. FM mufflers get better with age also! so you have the sound that u want for half the price (minus the x pipe) Outlaw muffler's run about 80.00 smacks a piece.
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!

Last edited by Deeboe; 08-29-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
SS_Matt
permagrin

I'm really leaning toward the ATAK axle back. From the small number of youtube videos I've seen of them- it has a really nice tone, and sounds like minimal popping, which I don't particularly like much.
I like the raspy tone when you let off the gas and the RPMs drop.
Here's an excellent example of the atak axle back. However I'd still like to hear the car driving...

Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
SS_Matt
permagrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
Go outllaw mufflers, tips of your choice.. and maybe a resonated X pipe instead of the stock resy..thats my plan. The X pipe to me is optional, so to be honest FM's outlaw would do the bidding here for what you trying to do. FM mufflers get better with age also! so you have the sound that u want for half the price (minus the x pipe) Outlaw muffler's run about 80.00 smacks a piece.
It remains an option (as much as anything else) but I'm not sure I want a muffler shop bending pipes to fit on a muffler. I'd rather buy a kit and have it fit perfect, plus have mandrel bends.

Also- not sure if the outlaw mufflers will give me the sound I want. I've only heard one clip of the outlaws, and it apparently originally was an AT catback (3") switched out the AT for Outlaw mufflers. So essentially it's a 3" outlaw catback, when I pretty much want to hear an axleback...
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Dynomax Exhaust

Drives: Camaro
Here is another option for an axle-back.
http://www.dynomax.com/exhaust_info....cle=2010camaro

Sound clip at end of video as well.
Good luck.
Dynomax Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
SS_Matt
permagrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomax Exhaust View Post
Here is another option for an axle-back.
http://www.dynomax.com/exhaust_info....cle=2010camaro

Sound clip at end of video as well.
Good luck.
Thanks- I'm looking for something with a more aggressive sound.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
All of the Cat-Back and Axle-Back systems we sell do increase power. We don’t let a system move from our R&D to production unless we’ve proven that it increases power and torque on a stock vehicle for the application. Some applications are nominal and are significant.

If you take a look at our dyno sheet on the Outlaw exhaust system you’ll see that the HP increase was significant.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/dy...17504_Dyno.pdf

You don’t have to wait any longer for a video of the Outlaw Axle-Back. Here it is!

This is the most aggressive exhaust system we make for the new Camaro. It’s a better performing and sounding alternative to running straight pipes and it’s a 409S Stainless Steel system so it comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
I am 61 years old and after listening to lots of clips I installed the axleback Borla S (A6 SS). I really like the sound. You being younger would probably like the axleback ATAK. You will not be sorry which ever Borla product you buy.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I'd go with the axleback if you're just looking for some extra volume. Borla is a great choice, we have some other options if you're interested. SLP, Solo, MRT and Flowmasters all make great low cost axleback options. Check out our site we have tons of video up as well.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle vs cat back, exhaust