Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Amarr014
BAD BEE

Drives: very fast!
why wont dealer remove speed limiter

OK so i have a LS and it is limited to 122.. thats fine and all but now i have the SS rims and tires... which should allow it to be limited to the 145mph limit that the 2LT and what not is limited to... RIGHT?
my dealer says they cant do anything about it and actually was rude to me when i asked... saying i should never even go that fast...
i told them they were right unless i took it to the track and that one of my good friends has a private air strip... i guess only thing left is to get it tuned and remove the limiter that way??? A nitrous setup is going in this coming friday and id love to be able to let her rip somtime soon.... oh and i hit 131mph on my gps (garmin) which i thought was odd?
2011 V6 LS M6 | straight piped | HIDs | Injen CAI| 75 Shot NX nitrous|Trifecta Tune|RX ported TB,IM and matched heads, Isolator| RX Catch Can | AAC Red Halos | AAC Red interior lighting | Red bowties | 15% tint | Tinted Tails | SS wheels and tires | SS tips| Cat delete| Arc audio 10's| ******** box|Scosche&kenwood|
Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarr014 View Post
OK so i have a LS and it is limited to 122.. thats fine and all but now i have the SS rims and tires... which should allow it to be limited to the 145mph limit that the 2LT and what not is limited to... RIGHT?
my dealer says they cant do anything about it and actually was rude to me when i asked... saying i should never even go that fast...
i told them they were right unless i took it to the track and that one of my good friends has a private air strip... i guess only thing left is to get it tuned and remove the limiter that way??? A nitrous setup is going in this coming friday and id love to be able to let her rip somtime soon.... oh and i hit 131mph on my gps (garmin) which i thought was odd?
They won't do it, because getting it tuned will void the warrantee.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Because while you may have changed the tires and wheels out - that does not mean that someone may put tires on at a later date that are not speed rated above 118mph.

In a perfect world, perhaps a dealer would do what you ask - but the reality is that this isn't a perfect world -and the dealer is putting himself/theirselves at risk if they were to go into the ECM and reprogram it....

One word of caution - it's easy to get a car up to speeds in excess of 100mph.............that said - one cannot change the law of physics - meaning that unless you hit a solid object - it's going to take some time to get the car back down to zero...........
Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Amarr014
BAD BEE

Drives: very fast!
i definitiely understand that going fast is dangerous and such... i just dont see why since there is no difference in the engine bewteen the two models... why they wouldnt do it... anyone can put different tires on a 2LT thats limited at 145 vs my LS at 122... im voiding my warranty with the nitrous anyways so the tune isnt such a big deal... i just tried to in and work with my dealer and include them in what i was doing... seeing as i purchased vinyls from them and had them install my spoiler (which was a ripoff) you would think they wouldnt try to harass me on going fast... hell they built the car that goes 150+mph not me
2011 V6 LS M6 | straight piped | HIDs | Injen CAI| 75 Shot NX nitrous|Trifecta Tune|RX ported TB,IM and matched heads, Isolator| RX Catch Can | AAC Red Halos | AAC Red interior lighting | Red bowties | 15% tint | Tinted Tails | SS wheels and tires | SS tips| Cat delete| Arc audio 10's| ******** box|Scosche&kenwood|
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarr014 View Post
i definitiely understand that going fast is dangerous and such... i just dont see why since there is no difference in the engine bewteen the two models... why they wouldnt do it... anyone can put different tires on a 2LT thats limited at 145 vs my LS at 122... im voiding my warranty with the nitrous anyways so the tune isnt such a big deal... i just tried to in and work with my dealer and include them in what i was doing... seeing as i purchased vinyls from them and had them install my spoiler (which was a ripoff) you would think they wouldnt try to harass me on going fast... hell they built the car that goes 150+mph not me

it's not the engine that is the issue - the limiter is a result of the OEM tires that were put on the car at the time of manufacture. Tires have speed ratings - in the very simplest of terms: Tires are designed and engineered and validated to allow a fully loaded car (the max number of passengers and cargo that the car is designed to carry) on a hot day at a specific maximum speed without catastrophic failure. Thus the "V" rating or "Z" rating...............or any number of other "Ratings".......

While I am NOT an engineer - I think I can safely say that a tire that is speed limited to 118mph could not sustain speeds at 150mph fully loaded under adverse conditions..........thus, the reason for speed limiters.

(tire failure at high speeds can be -- and usually are -- catastrophic --

Now - I don't personally know you (at least I don't think so) - but I have great concern for you and everyone else on the road -- I want you to be around for many more years - and I know that most people think that they can control a car at high speed.............that MAY be true as long as nothing "surprising" happens.....................like an animal running out in front of you - or a child - or any number of things that you aren't expecting to happen...........

The Junkyards (and graveyards) are full of cars and people who thought they had complete control of their cars (or trucks......).........

...............and then something suddenly happened .............

...............................and it didn't end well.

Please understand that I'm not here to belittle you -- rather, it continues to concern me when people talk about driving at triple digit speeds on public roads..............or turning their traction control/Stabilitrak off - or not wearing safety belts........or street racing.

Yes.......some get away with all of the above...............but many do not.

Just a couple of words of wisdom from that old codger, the "Fbodfather".....
Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Since you already said you don't care about the warranty, have your car tuned by a private company.

The dealer won't increase your speed limiter because your VIN says your car is a LS.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
ponbigi

Drives: 2011 CAMARO LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
it's not the engine that is the issue - the limiter is a result of the OEM tires that were put on the car at the time of manufacture. Tires have speed ratings - in the very simplest of terms: Tires are designed and engineered and validated to allow a fully loaded car (the max number of passengers and cargo that the car is designed to carry) on a hot day at a specific maximum speed without catastrophic failure. Thus the "V" rating or "Z" rating...............or any number of other "Ratings".......

While I am NOT an engineer - I think I can safely say that a tire that is speed limited to 118mph could not sustain speeds at 150mph fully loaded under adverse conditions..........thus, the reason for speed limiters.

(tire failure at high speeds can be -- and usually are -- catastrophic --

Now - I don't personally know you (at least I don't think so) - but I have great concern for you and everyone else on the road -- I want you to be around for many more years - and I know that most people think that they can control a car at high speed.............that MAY be true as long as nothing "surprising" happens.....................like an animal running out in front of you - or a child - or any number of things that you aren't expecting to happen...........

The Junkyards (and graveyards) are full of cars and people who thought they had complete control of their cars (or trucks......).........

...............and then something suddenly happened .............

...............................and it didn't end well.

Please understand that I'm not here to belittle you -- rather, it continues to concern me when people talk about driving at triple digit speeds on public roads..............or turning their traction control/Stabilitrak off - or not wearing safety belts........or street racing.

Yes.......some get away with all of the above...............but many do not.

Just a couple of words of wisdom from that old codger, the "Fbodfather".....

So let me ask you this. If I buy the rims and z rated tires from GM then wouldn't that justify the unlock? It makes no sense that at the factory you will when they are built that way but when purchased from GM you would.not. (after build)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
A dealership isn't going to remove the limiter because it could potentially become a legal nightmare; you'll have to do a custom tune.

That being said, do you have any experience or training for driving at those speeds? Even straight lines can quickly become dangerous when going that fast.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Drive safe; you could end up looking like me

<-----------
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
The USA has 2% of the wolrd's poulation but over 70% of the wolrd's lawyers.

That says it all.

Don't expect any help from your dealer.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I'd love to comment but I have a V8 so I can't. Good luck and be safe.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
If you really needed to travel at speeds above 120mph why did you buy a V6?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
I'm sure for the dealer its more of a legal issue. You go and get in an accident going fast the first thing they think is lawsuit. I wouldn't do it either if I was the dealership, don't blame them.

Closed Thread