Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
ekholbrook

Drives: Red 2010 V6
Intermittent metalic "Click" from right front

Hi all. I've been browsing over the past 3 or 4 weeks for anyone having random clicks or pop sounds coming from their car in various places but most of the people are indicating sounds that are constant.

The sound I have is random (seemingly). I'm hesitant to bring to the dealer because they'll do the usual "don't hear anything" routine and I've wasted 2 hours.

I will hear it at least 3 or 4 times in a given 20 minute drive around town.

WHEN I do hear it, it's

(a) from a stop light, pulling away. CLICK!. Almost sounds like when the air conditioner kicks in (but louder). (I never have the AC on). Doesn't happen all the time though. Maybe 1/5th of the time.

(b) Turning a corner at moderate speed (20mph) and accelerating after the turn CLICK!. Again.. I'll do another turn exactly the same a few minutes later. Nothing.

(c) Driving in manual mode and coming from 50mph shifting down to 4, then 3rd then right between that 3rd to 2nd shift) I'll hear it again. I'll shift back up to 3rd, accelerate and do a hard deceleration back down to 2 just to TRY to hear it again.. silence. I don't want anyone to get locked into that "between 3rd and 2nd" downshift. Because I think it's just random and because the car is going slower so I can hear things better.

(d) Pulling the car to a stop after driving for 10 minutes, then shifting into reverse, turning the wheel hard right to pull into my driveway backwards. CLICK!

But like the other cases, if I pull back out in, then try to replicate it by backing up again... nothing. Silence.

This is not a "oh my god what was that sounds", but it's more like two pieces of sheet metal snapping off each other.

ANY thoughts.

Always on the right. I "think" from the front, impossible to tell exactly but I'd venture to say it's right where the wheel is.

Could this be something as simple as a brake caliper loose or broken? The cars got 33,000 with same brake pads (dealer keeps telling me their fine).
ekholbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
There is a bulletin for putting a washer on the axles. That problem causes an audible click on accel or decel. The washer put in there apparently takes up a gap that is a hair too big, causing the axle to click when the tq changes
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
You should have the vehicle checked but to make sure you don't waste your time you should take one of the mechanics for a drive to make sure they hear it. Do your best to replicate the sound and hopefully they will hear it and be able to diagnose it for you. I hope these suggestions help you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
My car does the same thing but its a 2011. But I would think my car already has those washers. So it has to be something else. To me it sounds like slack in the drive shaft but it does sound like the front passenger side.
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I had this same issue with a Ford Crown Vic patrol car. Whenever I turned a corner, went over a bump, sped up or slowed down on heavy braking etc..... I thought it was my mind but I knew it was there. Took the car into Don Hind Ford of Fishers and low and behold my car which has the mantra of Quality is job one, was missing one body mount, two had been put in crooked and stripped so that left me with just one bolt holding the boding to the frame. LOL
Regardless, you should take it to the dealership and have a tech ride with you so he can hear what you hear and everyone is on the same page.