Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
josephs8

Drives: 2011 Yellow 2LT RS Camaro
Do I need to Replace the Factory Speakers

I was talking to someone at a store that shall remain nameless, but they told me that if I wanted to add a sub (I am thinking the JL 12w3v3-2 or JL 12w3v3-4) and an Amp (JL XD700/5) obviously I would need the FARK from subthumb. But the guy told me that even if I had the FARK that I would need to replace all the speakers in the car. I was planning on using the 4 channels for the speakers and the 5th channel for the Sub. Am I not doing this right or do i need to actually replace the speakers for this to work?
josephs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
No. Replacing the amp really wakes up the factory speakers
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
I think what he was trying to say is since you're adding a sub, you should replace your speakers to get a better sound and be louder to keep up with the sub.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
That person is a moron! No, you do not have to replace all the speakers in your car, but if you want better sound it is recommended.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
josephs8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
I think what he was trying to say is since you're adding a sub, you should replace your speakers to get a better sound and be louder to keep up with the sub.
Haha No I asked him that very question. I was like it will give me better sound if I replace the speakers. Hes like No you need to replace them it wont work if you dont. I had never heard of it, last time I trust workers even at a store that specializes in Car Audio.

Thanks Everyone
Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
josephs8

One other quick question for the experts here :-) Should I go with a 4 Ohm Sub or 2 Ohm sub? I see that with JL XD700/5 I can get 300 Watt RMS with 2 Ohms or 180 Watts with 4 Ohms. Are the stock speakers 2 or 4 Ohms, which would I use the 100 Watt or the 75 Watt RMS.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
DraggnFrameGMC

For the sub go with either a single voice coil 2 ohm sub or a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub (bridged parallel to 2 ohm).....that way youre getting the most out of the sub channel n the amp. Some1 else will have to chime in on the BA system. I honestly never looked at the ohm level when I pull them out.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
The stock BA speakers are probably a nominal 4ohm...but don't worry overmuch on that. The amp will produce power based on the load the speakers present, it's not something you have to adjust for (and you won't hear a 33% increase in wattage; takes a doubling of power to hear an audible increase). In reality, the impedance changes continually based on the musical content as a speaker's actual impedance is different at different frequencies. And, the stock speakers are relatively efficient compared to lot of aftermarket speakers.
Once you take the bass away from them with the amp's crossover, they'll do okay. If you like music, you will probably end up wanting better speakers, though; at least in the front.

( You DO realize half the people answering you are workers in car audio stores, don't you? lol We're not ALL bad; it's like anything- there's some as give hoot and others as either only want your money or else are just barely barely qualified to operate a deep fryer.)
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
josephs8

The though did cross my mind that most of these people probably do work at a car audio store. Lucky for me you guys are much smarter then what I have around here.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Trust me, it will work either way. Some customers like to do this in steps as their budget allows. ie replacing the amp and/or adding a sub while utilizing the factory speakers. Then come back later and replace the speakers. The bostons actually sound pretty good with a nice aftermarket amp powering them. But true audiophiles would go the next step and swap them out.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
GhostRS
Veteran

Drives: BLK 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Trust me, it will work either way. Some customers like to do this in steps as their budget allows. ie replacing the amp and/or adding a sub while utilizing the factory speakers. Then come back later and replace the speakers. The bostons actually sound pretty good with a nice aftermarket amp powering them. But true audiophiles would go the next step and swap them out.
I think this is most likely the path that I am going to take as well, would fit my budget better
GhostRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
DraggnFrameGMC

I was even impressed with the low end speakers. I hooked up my JBL MS-8 to my stocks the other day just because I was bored and wanted to see how much difference it would make and I was surprised at how good they sounded.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I just put Focal speakers in mine with a Arc amp. I don't know how many watts but I told them to make it sound good and they did. Check out Focal though they sound great. Good luck!
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
You'll be surprised by the factory speakers with a after market radio! All I did was add tweeters and it sounds pretty good. There's definitely no rush to replace um
DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote