Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Should I hand or machine polish?

I have heard that Adams polishes are the way to go. I was wondering if you guys hand or machine polish using Adams. I have never used a machine to polish before. In fact I have never used my hand either! I joinded Adams forums and they have great videos but was curious what you guys do who rave about the results.

I'm thinking

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-515-a...r-wax-kit.aspx

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-602-a...1-2-combo.aspx

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-669-a...-wash-kit.aspx

Last edited by Maxspeed; 11-10-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
BOTH......

using Adams products:

wash it
clay it
wash it again
use Swirl & Haze (IF REQUIRED)
machine polish it
machine wax it
final HAND Wax with Americanna

This will get you the DEEPEST HARDEST WET LOOKING SHINE your going to get.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
BOTH......

using Adams products:

wash it
clay it
wash it again
use Swirl & Haze (IF REQUIRED)
machine polish it
machine wax it
final HAND Wax with Americanna

This will get you teh DEEPEST HARDEST WET LOOKING SHINE your going to get.
+1
2010 Summit White 2SS/RS M6: Injen longtube cold air intake, Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust, Tint, White painted rear diffuser, Red powder-coated Brembo calipers, New Era Performance ported throttle body, BMR 1" lowering springs, Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Tower Brace, Red hash stripes, Vossen Matte Graphite/Machined CV5's
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
You picked some great kits there! You'll see great results with Adams products either way. A machine will definately save you some time and if you think about, your arm can only do so much. If you've already checked out some Adams videos, you're off to a good start!
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
I have heard that Adams polishes are the way to go. I was wondering if you guys hand or machine polish using Adams. I have never used a machine to polish before. In fact I have never used my hand either! I joinded Adams forums and they have great videos but was curious what you guys do who rave about the results.
Polishing choice will come down to what you want to achieve.

By hand the best you're gonna see is an improvement and nice gloss, but not perfection. Swirl marks and scratches require a machine to remove - you simply can't get your hand going fast enough to do the work.

So really the deciding factor is whether or not you're willing to live with some level of imperfection. By hand your car can look great, don't get me wrong, but it will still have minor imperfections in the clear.

With a machine its possible to have somewhat flawless paint.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't bought anything yet, but will. I want a flawless toy. I have never used a machine before and would be afraid of doing it wrong.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Its not nearly as scary as you think... I'm sure tons of guys here can chime in on their experience making the transition to a machine. I talk to at least a dozen C5 members a week who have never machine polished before and they always come back to let me know about their success.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
BOTH......

This will get you the DEEPEST HARDEST WET LOOKING SHINE your going to get.

That's what I want.

I'm just curious if you guys use amachine or not.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Maxx.....to show people how easy it is, and not hurt your car....in the past AJ (junkman), while are car shows/events where he was doing demo's to show how easy and trouble free it is.....he would get a kid out of the audience and show them how to properly use the PC aqnd have them polish/wax that car as he talked! Its just that easy, yes, it takes some time, but you will get the results you want.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks Sir Nuke.

Last edited by Maxspeed; 11-10-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Here is a picture of my car. It's been in my garage for 2 weeks. Do you think I need the flex, or would I be better off doing it by hand. I'm not worried about price, just need. Would the flex be overkill with new car paint? Also from the vid's the flex works great on the panels, but how do you guys wax around the moldings, door handle and mirrors?
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Hard to tell from the pictures, looks like some average swirling on the back fender in the first picture, but again... hard to make out. Either machine is capable of removing minor imperfections.

As far was working around moldings, etc... regardless of what machine you use there are going to be some areas where a machine physically won't work so you'll be left with some small amount of hand polishing no matter what tool you go with.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

ok thanks Dylan. Which kit would you recommend, the Basic or Complete Flex. Or should I go with the Premium Flex kit. My car is not badly swirled.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Adam's Polishes

Again, depends...

The Basic gets you polishes only... so no clay, no towels, no cleaners, and most importantly NO WAX so you need to choose something for protection.

The Complete gets you everything in the Basic plus you get towels, clay, detail spray, and buttery wax to keep it protected once its been polished out.

Jump to the premium and you start adding in more towels, car wash supplies, interior care products, etc. So if you need all that stuff then it might be the best one for you.