Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Trailnut

Drives: '15 Colorado, '73 C/10
2LS vs 1LT

Has anyone driven the 2LS with the higher diff gears and compaired it to the LT? Are the RPMs much different? Just trying to figure out the difference.

Thanks and stay safe.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
The 2LS is slower than the 1LS-2LT because the car was tuned and geared for better MPG. So if you are looking for performance between your 2 choices get the LT. If you really want a nice advantage get the M6 as it comes with LSD and SS rear end. Hopefully the tranny issues many have had with the M6 have been resolved in the 2012's. I have a M6 with no issues and with syn oil and a short throw can help this issue. Just my $.02
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Man I never got any LSD!!!?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
Man I never got any LSD!!!?
Yes all M6 V6's have LSD (Limited Slip Diff.). Unlike the V6 A6 we spin both tires during burnouts and with any traction related stuff!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Yes all M6 V6's have LSD (Limited Slip Diff.). Unlike the V6 A6 we spin both tires during burnouts and with any traction related stuff!

The A6 as you pointed out is not LSD but instead an open diff. But it still will send both tires up in smoke if they get equal traction. We have proven this many times and posted many photos and videos of this little feature.

OP. I agree with the others. If you have any desire for performance go with the LT's if you stay in the V6 family.

And if you think you want headers down the road stay away from the 2012 LFX as you will not be putting headers on that engine.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
I agree! The LFX LT is an amazing car if your not planning to do many performance mods. Their are deffinnetly plenty of people who are like that. That said, I have spent way to much time on these forums and going to camaro meets and I've decided to get a 2012v8. I didn't realize how much this would become a hobby and I've met so many amazing people. The v8 and LLT engines are better for the mod hungry types and I had no way of knowing I would be hit with the bug. Hehe
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Quote:
I agree! The LFX LT is an amazing car if your not planning to do many performance mods. Their are deffinnetly plenty of people who are like that. That said, I have spent way to much time on these forums and going to camaro meets and I've decided to get a 2012v8. I didn't realize how much this would become a hobby and I've met so many amazing people. The v8 and LLT engines are better for the mod hungry types and I had no way of knowing I would be hit with the bug. Hehe
Ya, me too. I was never a big car nut until I bought the Grinch. Had wrenched on an old 74 Nova all thru High School and told myself never again.

But tinkering and modifying a new car is much different. Go thru alot less PB blaster. Even thou everything is much more expensive then the old '74 Nova days.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Guro305

Drives: 2010 LS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
The A6 as you pointed out is not LSD but instead an open diff. But it still will send both tires up in smoke if they get equal traction. We have proven this many times and posted many photos and videos of this little feature.

OP. I agree with the others. If you have any desire for performance go with the LT's if you stay in the V6 family.

And if you think you want headers down the road stay away from the 2012 LFX as you will not be putting headers on that engine.
Interesting! Never actually bothered to try it but now that you mentioned it I will!!! Is it because of the stabilitrack/traction control???

-Fifthgen Chevy Camaro Victory Red-
-C4 Chevy Corvette White-
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305 View Post
Interesting! Never actually bothered to try it but now that you mentioned it I will!!! Is it because of the stabilitrack/traction control???

No, it is the design of how an open diff works. You can look it up on the INTERNET and find plenty of info. on the subject.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
I know Chevy and others call it a limited slip differential but really the Eaton G80 is a locker, with a legendary history. I have a Trailblazer and Duramax with the G80, and it is a locker. Solid. Unless they changed the design for the Camaro.
Google "Eaton G80 locker" and there is tons of info.
I was thrilled when I found out my Camaro will have it. My 2012 LT1 IBM is on order, can't wait to get it.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Guro305

Drives: 2010 LS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
No, it is the design of how an open diff works. You can look it up on the INTERNET and find plenty of info. on the subject.
My 86 T/A has an open diff and I've NEVER had two sets of tire tracks in 18 years of doing burn outs and thirdgens just like fifthgens are heavy b!#ches! Dont know what to tell you.

-Fifthgen Chevy Camaro Victory Red-
-C4 Chevy Corvette White-
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305 View Post
My 86 T/A has an open diff and I've NEVER had two sets of tire tracks in 18 years of doing burn outs and thirdgens just like fifthgens are heavy b!#ches! Dont know what to tell you.

You are correct. I don't know what to tell you.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Mummbles

Drives: Very baisc, V6 and black
I have the LFX, and from what i see, you can still put a mandrel bent tube on it from the head down, if that isn't a header, then i guess i don't know what one is anymore. Besides, the 11hp gain is probably the same as what headers net you. The cats are more likely the biggest power gain.

And no LSD for me, no limited slip either.
Mummbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:

what does LFX refer to? Too many Abbreviations on this board. Anyone have any idea why they would put a different rear gear box on the auto and the manual? makes no sense to me at all. unless they figured the manual would need better traction?

thanks
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote