Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Vacuum leak or tuning issues

First, Ted janetty told me he is very confident he can fix my tune through an email tune as long as I have no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. What I want to find out before I blow more money trying to get my tune fixed, how would I find out if I have a vacuum leak? Please read and tell me if this issue is caused by vacuum leak or is my tuner just not getting it right.

So I had a cam installed (see signature) and after goin to my tuner numerous times, he can't get it right. When driven for a few minutes holding the rpm's around 1800, when put into neutral, the rpm's will drop to 700ish and rev to 2k and back down to 700 a couple times until it catches idle at 900. It does this especially when exiting the highway. Also on cold starts, the first minute of driving will sometimes do this. it's not really consistent. After a hard acceleration and letting it into neutral, it for sure will rev up to 2k couple times.

My tuner said there must be something wrong with my thorley body , Tracy (sc150) assures me it's not. I took off my oil cap breather and plugged the tube back hoping to fix this. Now I'm considering bypassing the cat can too and see of that helps. Is there a chance it could be the catch can? My cam installer told me the inlet side of catch can, (valley cover fitting)tube was disconnected when he started on my car. I doubt it was but if it was, this have damaged the car?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If is spelllled wrong deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
First, Ted janetty told me he is very confident he can fix my tune through an email tune as long as I have no vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. What I want to find out before I blow more money trying to get my tune fixed, how would I find out if I have a vacuum leak? Please read and tell me if this issue is caused by vacuum leak or is my tuner just not getting it right.

So I had a cam installed (see signature) and after goin to my tuner numerous times, he can't get it right. When driven for a few minutes holding the rpm's around 1800, when put into neutral, the rpm's will drop to 700ish and rev to 2k and back down to 700 a couple times until it catches idle at 900. It does this especially when exiting the highway. Also on cold starts, the first minute of driving will sometimes do this. it's not really consistent. After a hard acceleration and letting it into neutral, it for sure will rev up to 2k couple times.

My tuner said there must be something wrong with my thorley body , Tracy (sc150) assures me it's not. I took off my oil cap breather and plugged the tube back hoping to fix this. Now I'm considering bypassing the cat can too and see of that helps. Is there a chance it could be the catch can? My cam installer told me the inlet side of catch can, (valley cover fitting)tube was disconnected when he started on my car. I doubt it was but if it was, this have damaged the car?
easiest way to tell if you have a vacuum leak is to data log.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
bluetorp

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Sounds like tuning to me. Hunting for idle when coasting in neutral or after cold starts is a "classic" symptom of an untuned (or badly tuned) cam install. My guess is that your running airflow and/or throttle follower tables are jacked.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post

I always say that so that you will be aware and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

A smoke test can Determine if there are not leaks.

Also once I send you a Tune and You Log I will be able to tell if you do or not.

I just Diagnosed a Vacuum leak on a Whipple Cam Car this way, he didn't know he had a leak, after I told him I suspect a Vacuum Leak he Diligently searched and found 2 leaks, repaired them and Logged and all is Perfect Now.

I Definitely Can Write you a Tune that will Run and Drive Perfectly, but you must also Understand I can not Tune Out any Mechanical Problems, if any.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote