Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Almost lost a wheel today

About a month ago I had my car serviced at my preferred dealer. Simple oil change and install GM splash guards.

All was right with the world. That was close to six weeks and 1000 miles ago.

Yesterday when I left work it felt like there was a flat spot in the tire. Hmmm.. I live in Florida, not cold, never felt that before on these tires but didn't think much more of it.

Today when driving my son to school it was worse. Almost felt like a differential or axle problem. Thumping/rotating. I stopped, checked all four wheels, wheel wells, couldn't find anything. It was dark so I couldn't see the differential or axles well. I didn't check the lugnets. I guess you can tell where this is going now.

By the time I got to my office it was worse and it was beginning to feel unsafe to drive. It was light outside so took a closer look and still couldn't see anything.

On my drive to the dealership it was getting worse. Someone rolled his window down and told me my right rear wheel was wobbling something fierce.

Pulled over and ALL 5 lugnuts were just about off. Completely loose. Well, after getting someone to come get me, get a jack and lug wrench I removed the wheel, even the flush mount star head screw that holds the brake rotor to the wheel hub (if that's the right term) was almost backed out.

There was damage to the wheel, the holes where the lug posts go through were reamed pretty bad as was the center hole. Dealership recommended I replace the wheel. I agreed. I do a bit of spirited driving now and then so I certainly want a safe wheel.

The ONLY time the wheels have been off the car or anyone (to my knowledge) has messed around with the lugnuts would be at the dealership.

Of course, 5 weeks and 1000 miles, it's very hard to argue with them when they say they tightened everything correctly. I can see their point.

So... dealer charge to me to replace 1 wheel. Insure all 4 wheels are tightened correctly = $934.00

F-me. I'll have somoene review the security tapes at work to see if anyone was messing with my car but I highly doubt it. My car is always parked in my garage when at home.

This just flat out sucks. I have filed a claim with my insurance company and I will find out tomorrow if they will pay or not.

Just venting I suppose.

Last edited by cam62; 04-03-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: title edit
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Wow, you got ripped off! If there's any chance of returning the wheel they sold you, do it! You can get a flawless RS wheel in the for sale section for about a quarter of that cost.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Yeah, I know I probably could have gone that route. By the time I rent a car to drive somewhere and pick up a wheel, or pay for shipping I'm probably getting close. Remove tire, install tire, mount, balance and Consider my lost time from work = $$, etc. It's my dd and I didn't have the luxury of time. The wheel was a bit over 700. I see that they didn't credit the $50.00 core charge so I'll be talking to them about that tomorrow.

Hopefully my insurance will pay.

Last edited by cam62; 04-03-2012 at 07:01 PM.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Wow that sux.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
They got you twice.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Topher

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Unreal, time to switch dealers.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
I'd think if it was the dealers fault, not tightening up the lugs, you would have felt something was wrong after a week or two at the most. Sounds to me like someone, somewhere, tried to steal your wheels and tires, and got scared off in the process. At least, that is what I'd tell the insurance company.

Seeing how your Camaro is your daily driver, I can understand your buying the replacement wheel from the dealer. Sometimes people don't have the time to "shop around" for better prices as someone suggested. And, like you said there's shipping, mounting, balancing, and lost work time to consider.

There was another post on here, I couldn't find it again, but that post had pictures of the guys Camaro, parked in the street in front of his house, sitting on cement blocks with all 4 wheels and tires gone. So much for those "wheel locks" GM sells.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
They got you twice.
Its not impossible, but after 1000 miles I doubt the loose wheel was the dealers fault. An educated driver should always check the torque on his or her wheels if they have been removed by any one but them, or as scheduled maintenance. Just a good precaution....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
i got that pic of the camaro on blocks, texas car stole his wheels at his apt.
for some dumb reason it said freshly on the fenders.
Someone freshly stole your wheels :P
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I honestly don't think it was your dealers fault for not tightening the lugs. I really think someone messed with them a couple days before you noticed. I have personally accidentally forgot to tighten the lugs and just got them finger tight on a friends car a few years ago. The same thing happened to him and just as bad all within 24 hours of me doing that. There is no way a car would go that long before showing the signs you described.

Now as for the cost, you easily paid double what you should have. Did that include the cost of a new tire? Reason why I ask is a new 20" rim from GM is only $300-$400 and the 21" rim you can get for $600. The dealers charges about $400 for a new Pzero so new tire plus rim will put you at about the $700 mark you said.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
All shops require the lugs to be done again after 100 miles. If they did not have you come back IT IS their responsibilty.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Buy your own torque wrench

Get a nice torque wrench. Dial it in to what the Camaro calls for. (my truck calls for 140 ft-lbs).

Double check everything if you let someone else touch your car.

If someone "did" do something deliberate, it might be difficult to figure out who did it.

Maybe someone tried to steal one of your rims? but they didn't finish.

You need (1) locking lug nut on each wheel.

Also if you are driving a Camaro SS Convertible, you really should not be leaving that anywhere if you think its not safe.

Camaro SS convertible is not a work vehicle. a Chevy work pickup truck IS a work vehicle. a Geo Prism is a work vehicle.

Camaros generate jealousy by loserish types on the street. (you acted like your co-workers are jealous perhaps? they shouldn't even know you own that car. just like if you won the lottery. don't tell your coworkers. they might get upset.)

You said your car is normally parked in the garage. That's where it always should be parked except for days you can keep an eye on it.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 04-03-2012 at 09:22 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Difficult to say who is responsible. A month does seem like an awful long time to go w/o noticing a wheel that loose.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Psh. I think Dealers are notorious for stupid errors. I had my silverado serviced at the dealership i bought it from, then 5k later I had it changed at a shop. Turns out there was a small oil leak cuz the servicer did not tighten the OIL FILTER.

God for bid i hit a ton of bumps and it the filter came off....

2nd instance- i had a 2005 equinox, back in 2010 i threw a rod and the engine was blown. Luckily it was still covered under extended warranty. (lots of paperwork later) They finally installed a new engine.

Unfortunetly, the dealer who did the install, did not install my rear drive shaft completely correct. Due to this I shattered my driveshaft when my front wheels spun (awd on demand).
had to fight tooth and nails to get some money out of the dealer for screwing up. got about 1500 back but had to pay 2500 for it to be fixed.

Therefore i think dealers make stupid stupid mistakes all the time.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote