Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
i sooo aggravated with the problems on my ZL-1

let me start by saying that i am a diehard camaro guy owning nothing but camaros my whole life, not to mention buying 3 5th gens in the last 3 years. the paint on my ZL-1 trunk and spoiler is awful. i looked at it with some friends and we could all see why there is buffing haze all over it. on the deck and spoiler are deep scratches that were obviously painted over at the factory. whats ticking me off is i know the dealer is gonna want to repaint it which puts me out of my car and opens a door for tons more problems. both of my 2010 SS's had factory paint issues that 1 week after i picked them up i lost 1 for 5 weeks in the body shop and the body shop made a mess of my brand new car with over spray etc. I WANT A NEW TRUNK DECK AND SPOILER! painted by gm at the factory not some yucks at a body shop. on the inside my passenger door panel came with a gouge in it (dealer say he get me one) and the plastic around the passenger seat controls isnt even puut on right and is loose and floppy. i cant believe all the little stuff and i understand there will always be little things but after 4 days of ownership i just keep finding more things. its finding the 1 little thing that makes you start to notice all the other things and i gotta say its really ruining my first week of enjoyment in my brand new $60 k car(most expensive car i ever bought). any suggestions? im takin to dealer mondoy or tuesday so they can "check out" my issues. thats 100 miles and $40 bucks worth of gas so they can see it. more money out of my pocket. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN MY POSITION?

Last edited by joes407; 05-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned

Drives: GM
I dunno what I'd do, but I will say that some yucks at a body shop, as long as they're GOOD yucks, will likely do a better job painting it than any automaker would.

I understand not wanting to have paint that's been "cracked open" but as long as its done right an aftermarket paint job can be just as durable (if not more), and look better, than a factory job.
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
gedixon
ZL1 #288

Drives: Daily Driver: Tahoe
Go over the car with a fine tooth comb and find every single small issue. Then I would push the dealer to fix every small issue like the panels and controls, etc that they can fix in a day or two quickly and reliably. But I would push really hard to get them to pay for an actual body shop to repaint the trunk deck lid/spoiler instead of leaving it for them to paint. If they refuse to do that make them take the trunk deck lid off and paint it so there is no way they can screw up the rest of the car with overspray. For everything you listed and even painting the trunk I cant see them needing the car for more than a day or two.
gedixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
dimitri

Drives: 06 M5/04 350Z
can others chime in if they have same issues.
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
gedixon
ZL1 #288

Drives: Daily Driver: Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
can others chime in if they have same issues.
I didnt have any major issues. Had a small knick on the door edge ... could have been dealership possibly. Small rub mark on the black stripe on the trunk deck lid that went onto the paint a little. Then my console appears to have a little bit of warping and is raised a tad on the left side of shifter. Other than that ... nothing all that big. I havent seen people saying they have found a lot of issues.
gedixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I am sorry for your problems and I have none at all so far but if you have legitimate issues, document them well, give them a chance to fix them and if they can't find out what the buy back process is and see if you can go that route. Hate to even think about that but want to see you loving your car.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Wolty

Drives: 2012 ZL1
First off, I would check your posting before posting..."i sooooo aggravated"??..."why there is buffing haze"..."dealer say he get me one"..."dealer mondoy or tuesday"..."even puut on right"?

Second, I sympathize with your frustration on getting a brand new vehicle and having it not meet you quality expectations. Sounds like you may have gotten a "unique" (not in a good way) car. Bottom line is the dealer/GM needs to make it right so that you are happy. Not much of another choice.

Don't you have another dealer closer than 100 miles?
Wolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
How many threads do you need?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Joe feel for ya bro but go ahead and let the reprint the trunk and spoiler I prefer the body shop over at DM over Courtsey Chevy if I recall DM painted Richards. They will take the trunk off and paint it so no worries on that.

Just give them a list of items that need to be addressed get your rental car and be done with it.

Good luck
Sean
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
let me start by saying that i am a diehard camaro guy owning nothing but camaros my whole life, not to mention buying 3 5th gens in the last 3 years. the paint on my ZL-1 trunk and spoiler is awful. i looked at it with some friends and we could all see why there is buffing haze all over it. on the deck and spoiler are deep scratches that were obviously painted over at the factory. whats ticking me off is i know the dealer is gonna want to repaint it which puts me out of my car and opens a door for tons more problems. both of my 2010 SS's had factory paint issues that 1 week after i picked them up i lost 1 for 5 weeks in the body shop and the body shop made a mess of my brand new car with over spray etc. I WANT A NEW TRUNK DECK AND SPOILER! painted by gm at the factory not some yucks at a body shop. on the inside my passenger door panel came with a gouge in it (dealer say he get me one) and the plastic around the passenger seat controls isnt even puut on right and is loose and floppy. i cant believe all the little stuff and i understand there will always be little things but after 4 days of ownership i just keep finding more things. its finding the 1 little thing that makes you start to notice all the other things and i gotta say its really ruining my first week of enjoyment in my brand new $60 k car(most expensive car i ever bought). any suggestions? im takin to dealer mondoy or tuesday so they can "check out" my issues. thats 100 miles and $40 bucks worth of gas so they can see it. more money out of my pocket. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN MY POSITION?
Hmmm. You want the car fixed, but you don't want to have to give it to the dealer to GET it fixed.

Even if you could talk youe dealer into ordering a new deck and spoiler, they'll still have to paint it when they get it. I doubt you can get any body panel from the factory already painted.

I doubt that the dealer would be willing to order one and paint it ahead of you bringing your car in because I'd wager that theywould not get reimbursed for that cost under the GM warranty. The only way they'd do that is if you had one of those rare dealers that are willing to go out of their way to make the customer happy.

As other's have said, go over the car with a fine tooth comb and make a detailed list of every flaw/issue you can find.
Call the dealer, and make an appointment to bring it in telling them ahead of time that you will be there with a list. That makes sure they'll be ready and expecting you. Suggest that they have the service manager available so he can inspect your car with you.

Take plenty of pictures of all your concerns not only to help document the flaws but to also have them to use to compare/refer to after they address your concerns and repair the items.

Give the car to the dealer to get them all fixed.

Most dealers would take the deck and spoiler off to send to the body shop to get re-painted while the rest of the car can be handed over to others to work on repairing the other issues rather than wait for th epaint repairs THEN address the others.

Will you be without a car some period of time? sure, but it has to be done if you want it fixed.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
How many threads do you need?
The other was days ago. This thread had a question in it. Sorry for the mispells phone keyboard tiny
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
joes407

Just had worse experiece w paintshops on the 2010s. I just wqbt 1 brand new car that doesnt need paint work fromvthe day its delivered
Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Personally if I were in your position, I wouldn't be in your position. After buying 3 5th gens, all of which had factory issues not meeting my standards, I wouldn't have bought a 4th car no matter how much I liked the brand. Is the ZL1 the 3rd or 4th car?

But since you did, you should have been expecting not the best quality based solely on your own experiences, and looked over everything with a very critical eye.

At this point all you can do is have them fix the issues, or get rid of the car.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
If you cant live with it take it back to the dealer and trade it for a volt and let them sell it to someone who really wants a zl1.