Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Navigation on MY13

Is the Nav that will be available on MY13 currently available anywhere else in the GM range or is the software totally new?

I'd like to see it in action before deciding whether to keep it on my order, especially with the fact there is a constraint on it at the moment.

Last thing I want to do is miss allocation and have to wait for an option that is going to disappoint - would be nice to see it so I can make an informed choice.

Anyone got any insight?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Ciscokid

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert - BRM&2014 NRB Vette
It's available on other vehicles! check out the nav system on the equinox if you want to see it in person.
COLOR TOUCH RADIO*WITH NAVIGATION
Navigation system with a 7" color touch-screen diagonal display and a convenient, compact SD (super-density) card memory
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Touch screen displays are far too distracting for my likes. I hate to hunt for what I need while my attention needs to be focused on the road ahead. If they get smudged, they need to be cleaned off while the car is shut down. I prefer the 2012's "physical" menu & location of controls that can be felt through muscle memory... Menu roulette is about as distracting as fumbling with "texting" or trying to smoke a cigarette or wash down a Big Kahuna Burger with a tasty beverage. Save that sh*t for some other time than driving when paying attention really pays off.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Touch screen displays are far too distracting for my likes. I hate to hunt for what I need while my attention needs to be focused on the road ahead. If they get smudged, they need to be cleaned off while the car is shut down. I prefer the 2012's "physical" menu & location of controls that can be felt through muscle memory... Menu roulette is about as distracting as fumbling with "texting" or trying to smoke a cigarette or wash down a Big Kahuna Burger with a tasty beverage. Save that sh*t for some other time than driving when paying attention really pays off.
Not really sure why that's an issue, unless you want to clean the radio whilst driving of course...

As for the rest of your post, understand what you're saying to a point but can't really see how the touchscreen would be any different to the radio as it is right now....finding radio stations on XM is hardly easy with the current menu system.

At the end of the day, if people want to be idiots and mess about with the radio when they should be concentrating on the road then it really doesn't matter if it's the current system or a 7" touchscreen in front of them...
Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Frankly, I rarely listen to the available XM; I'd much rather prefer to listen to the exhaust note, supercharger whine & shift changes. I've never used OnStar before & I definitely don't gab on a phone, hands-free or not while driving. I do carry a small cellphone for emergency outgoing calls only or when I'm parked. I might pop in a Crystal Method CD for background music, but my primary focus is driving. I have little use for cup holders too. I smoke, but never while driving.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I saw one in a CTF Camaro and I am not a huge fan of how it looks. It kind of sticks out of the dash. I like the current radio better and really have no need for a nav system in my Camaro.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I saw one in a CTF Camaro and I am not a huge fan of how it looks. It kind of sticks out of the dash. I like the current radio better and really have no need for a nav system in my Camaro.
The look in MY13 will be the same regardless of Nav or not though...keeping the current layout is not an option for anyone.

I actually prefer the new layout anyway compared to what I currently have
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Frankly, I rarely listen to the available XM; I'd much rather prefer to listen to the exhaust note, supercharger whine & shift changes. I've never used OnStar before & I definitely don't gab on a phone, hands-free or not while driving. I do carry a small cellphone for emergency outgoing calls only or when I'm parked. I might pop in a Crystal Method CD for background music, but my primary focus is driving. I have little use for cup holders too. I smoke, but never while driving.

Wow mister perfect....Lol...

Just kidding
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
By the time they finish building the rollover 2012s and start building the new 2013 orders nav will be availible so I don't think it will matter modern07. I hope I am wrong but I don't see mine getting built before August but for me it doesn't matter as I didn't order nav
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...Nav screen is cool, but I'm too busy in a transe with the car and the HUD while navigating it at speed. I'm happy for getting a '12, as touring or driving for leisure at distance is not part of my requirements for purchasing. For me, the sterio as is in the '12 fits my needs ...., and honestly, in the past it was more important about the audio sytem...but now I listen to the car without much music or other distractions while driving more than ever before. I am in tune with this car, plugged into the circuit as far as feel and feedback is concerned. Barely street legal, not just a marketing ploy. I hope the touch screen in MY '13 is a great addition to the package for those who desire it.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
In the pictures of the nav looked like the same gui that is my Z06 nav. If it is it is not the best IMO but it works.

if the new nav works like the vette though the information comes through the HUD as long as your not in track mode.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I like having the NAV system in my truck! I like it alot in fact. I don't mess with it while driving. I set my destination and let it guide me. It gives me peace of mind for getting to places I am not familiar with. If I can retrofit the system to my car, I probably will or put in aftermarket at some point. Just to have a quick look at a map and where I am is not distracting at all for me.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
kidreno_21

Drives: Zr2 Blazer, 2013 ZL1 Black on black
No nav system for MY13???

I just checked with my dealer. They told me the touch screen nav system is currently unavailable and will continue to be for an undetermined amount of time. Specifically they are saying the nav system likely won't be available during MY13.

Has anyone else heard this? I have a deposit down at this time and they can order it for me 22May, sans nav system, or I can take my chances and hope they will get another allocation for August and, again, hope I can get the nav system.

I drive a lot and don't want to have a nav system mounted to the windshield in a +$55k car.

Thanks.
kidreno_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidreno_21 View Post
I just checked with my dealer. They told me the touch screen nav system is currently unavailable and will continue to be for an undetermined amount of time. Specifically they are saying the nav system likely won't be available during MY13.

Has anyone else heard this? I have a deposit down at this time and they can order it for me 22May, sans nav system, or I can take my chances and hope they will get another allocation for August and, again, hope I can get the nav system.

I drive a lot and don't want to have a nav system mounted to the windshield in a +$55k car.

Thanks.
It is on contraint until august when the convertable starts production from what I have heard.

people make to big a deal out of nav. Schoshe makes a dash kit pioneer and kenwood make nav units that are nicer than OEM for function.

for 1k you can have nav in a camaro that is what the factory will proabably charge.

of the three cars I have right now I like the pioneer AVIC nav in my 300c more than the unit in my Z06 or the alpine based RB1 in our RAM. I just like beign able to hack it to enter destinations on the fly, play video if you want, I even put a custom GUI on it that is really cool can add speed camaera's on the fly warns you of them.

even though My 2013 will come with the touchscreen unit there is about an 80% chance I will put a kenwood or pioneer nav in it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote