Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 05-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
hisinc

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM
Buyer Beware - RPI Designs - False Advertisement

I was hoping RPI would have resolved this issue and I wouldn't have to share my negative experience on here, but 2 months and six emails later after asking that they simply honor what was advertised on their website, there has yet to be a resolution.

On March 30th I ordered the Deluxe Camaro Billet Interior kit and the Billet Camaro Door Kick plates. The RPI website clearly states that both items would come with the appropriate adhesive for an easy install. Once I received my delivery and upon inspection: 1) The kickplates did not come with the "supplied 3M tape" as indicated in the product description for installation. and 2)The billet gauge bezel trim rings do not have any sort of "peel n stick" adhesive on them as indicated in the product description.

On April 14th, I emailed RPI to bring to their attention the two issues with the delivery of my billet accessories. Both the billet kickplates nor the guage bezel trim rings did not come with any type of adhesive to perform the installation as indicated in the product description (on the RPI website) for an easy install. Josh reported the issue to Billet Customs (apparently the 3rd party) and they indicated that they do not provide the adhesive as two sided tape does not work, and they are using a 3M clear silicon instead. A representative from Billet Customs emailed installation instructions (which were not included in the box when the items were delivered). This however, still did not provide any resolution to the issue at hand (as stated in my follow-up email to Josh on April 16th), as I still have not received any adhesive (as advertised by RPI designs) to install the product. I have since emailed RPI on April 18th, April 30th, May 7th, and May 17th asking for an update on this issue and have not received a resolution to date. Despite again a representative from Billet Customs responding to my last email to say "they do not provide adhesive and sorry for the inconvenience", Josh and nobody from RPI designs has yet to address the fact that their website "falsely misrepresented" the product description and what was included as part of the purchase price. Despite the fact that "Billet Customs" does not provide adhesive, I did not directly buy the products from Billet Customs, I purchased the items directly from the RPI website and have every right to expect that they would honor what was advertised on their website despite what the 3rd party vendor does or does not do.

I know some of you may be thinking, just go buy some adhesive and call it a day, but those billet accessories were very expensive and I am anxious to have them fully installed with all the items that were advertised would be provided for installation. It should not be my responsibility as a customer to purchase my own adhesive, when the description of the items I purchased indicated this was included in the product description the vendor's website.

At this point, it is clear that RPI does not plan to honor what was advertised and considering I just checked and the product description still says the same thing, I just wanted to warn my fellow C5 family to be careful when you order something from them especially if you are are reading product descriptions on the RPI website and think you will receive everything as advertised, because this is NOT the case.
hisinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Way too many other merchants/products to waste time with this one -- get your money back today, then run/don't walk.....

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
As cheap as the adhesive is I would have never wasted the energy and just installed them, but I don't have the patience when something shows up I want to put them on.

Yes they do come from a third party and that third party most likely supply's the other venders so you more then likely would have the same experience there as well.

Install and enjoy is my vote...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Go spend $3.00 and be done with it.. or send them back.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
I have to tell you that we also sell similar items, and tape does indeed work.
We supply it with all of our parts.

Although it will work for lightweight items, Silicone is NOT a glue. Silicone is aquaruim tank sealant, and window caulking. Using it as a glue is not the proper use. There are tube adhesives you can buy made more for this purpose. We completely stay away from using silicone.

I see guys gluing knock off underhood bowties on with this stuff. When it falls off "into" the engine bay, I hope they are not Driving. Ours go on with mechanical fasteners.

So you can either go buy some "glue", or return them right? you will probably have to pay return shipping, so glue would be less expensive for you. Although it will be a messy job.
I can sell you some of the tape we use if you think it will help you out. You would need to trim it up yourself though.

Thanks, Roger
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
hisinc

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM
@Roger...Thanks for the tip. I thought the same thing about the silicone/glue being a messy install. I think the 3M tape will work for the kickplates but those tiny bezel trims for the gauges is going to be tricky.

Yes I agree with all the comments that at this point I will just have to buy my own adhesive. I was happy with the products for the most part and was able to install everything else except those two items. I don't even want to sen anything back cause then I would have another battle to get my money back.

This was my final rant on the topic just to give others a heads up about the false advertisement. I just think any reputable company who cares about their customer service would have at least honored what they advertised, sent the suggested adhesive, and then updated their website so the next customer would not be misled, but they did none of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
I have to tell you that we also sell similar items, and tape does indeed work.
We supply it with all of our parts.

Although it will work for lightweight items, Silicone is NOT a glue. Silicone is aquaruim tank sealant, and window caulking. Using it as a glue is not the proper use. There are tube adhesives you can buy made more for this purpose. We completely stay away from using silicone.

I see guys gluing knock off underhood bowties on with this stuff. When it falls off "into" the engine bay, I hope they are not Driving. Ours go on with mechanical fasteners.

So you can either go buy some "glue", or return them right? you will probably have to pay return shipping, so glue would be less expensive for you. Although it will be a messy job.
I can sell you some of the tape we use if you think it will help you out. You would need to trim it up yourself though.

Thanks, Roger
hisinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I can understand the 'go buy your own 3M and just install it' viewpoint, but that's not the problem here. It seems to be the principle of the matter, not the outcome. Needless to say this isn't the first bad thread about this vendor.

I'll pass.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
RPI Designs

Drives: 2016 SS 6 Spd
Hello

We'll gladly accept them back for a full refund. We are working with Billet Custom to get proper adhesive. I guess they were having problems with the adhesive and we are getting with them to provide correct, strong adhesive.

Give me a call and we'll pick up anything you don't want, we'll pay shipping both ways and refund you in full.

Thanks
Josh
RPI Designs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
Go spend $3.00 and be done with it.. or send them back.
exactly. or have then give you 10% off or something. it would cost more to send the item back to get a refund. AND you would have to wait til they got it back then wait on the refund. $3 to get tape and install it then complain about what there going to do. i couldnt see myself waiting a month for some tape and then all in all if they send you tape you still have to wait on that
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
RPI Designs

Drives: 2016 SS 6 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
exactly. or have then give you 10% off or something. it would cost more to send the item back to get a refund. AND you would have to wait til they got it back then wait on the refund. $3 to get tape and install it then complain about what there going to do. i couldnt see myself waiting a month for some tape and then all in all if they send you tape you still have to wait on that
We will pay shipping if he decides to send back.

We will gladly give him $10 for adhesive if he prefers.

Thanks
Josh
RPI Designs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
So much for the bad vendor theory!! CS at its best IMO!!
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote