Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Question Any V6'ers had to have new rotors?

My 2011 is still under B2B warranty, and it's started vibrating hardcore above 70MPH when I hit the brakes (the steering wheel being what is vibrating, not the pedal). Obviously the rotors are warped. He said it could be due to my braking habits, but I'm not hard on my brakes...

Taking it in tomorrow; my dealer said since I've never had brake work done he might be able to figure out a way to submit it under warranty, because I told him rotors should NOT be warping on a new car.

Anyone else had this issue?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Are you sure it isn't a tire issue? Check to make sure they are balanced and there isn't a spot where the tire is "out of round" or starting to come apart a bit.

You should be feeling that vibration in the pedel in addition to the steering wheel...or only in the pedel. Not JUST the steering wheel.

At least that is my experience in dealing with warped rotors.

I've not had this issue with my Camaro.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Mine seems like its doing it. I'm taking it to the dealership just before my warranty runs out for other things so I'm going to mention that as well.

I'm fully expecting a no but if they say yes well then good for me. If not, I already have my drilled and slotted rotors picked and am just saving up for them.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
I had my rear pads replaced along with getting the rear stock rotors turned/cut at about 25k. They told me there is no spec for cutting the Rotors but they went ahead and did it with nice results.

I needed front pads at 28K but the Rotors were fine.

Short life may have come from well over 100 passes at the track along with too many 0-60 mph runs.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Are you sure it isn't a tire issue? Check to make sure they are balanced and there isn't a spot where the tire is "out of round" or starting to come apart a bit.

You should be feeling that vibration in the pedel in addition to the steering wheel...or only in the pedel. Not JUST the steering wheel.

At least that is my experience in dealing with warped rotors.

I've not had this issue with my Camaro.
Tires are good, checked them out when I had new rears installed last week. I might feel it a little in the pedal but not enough to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Mine seems like its doing it. I'm taking it to the dealership just before my warranty runs out for other things so I'm going to mention that as well.

I'm fully expecting a no but if they say yes well then good for me. If not, I already have my drilled and slotted rotors picked and am just saving up for them.
Yeah, I can't afford an upgrade right now but if I could.. it'd be Brembo's. But I think they're like $4k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
I had my rear pads replaced along with getting the rear stock rotors turned/cut at about 25k. They told me there is no spec for cutting the Rotors but they went ahead and did it with nice results.

I needed front pads at 28K but the Rotors were fine.

Short life may have come from well over 100 passes at the track along with too many 0-60 mph runs.
I'm wondering if I'll need new pads, too. Guess they'll tell me tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous about this. Blown through a lot of money recently and my savings are low. Wonder what new pads and turning rotors would be? I'm sure not cheap. Hopefully my dealer can find a way to warranty work this out.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
lscamaro

It shouldn't be that expensive. I would love to do brembos but they are a waste of money for me. I only drag race so it's not like I care about brake fade. There are actually quite a few kits that will get you new ceramic brake pads and drilled and slotted rotors for 300-500. Not too bad.

I was able to find a killer deal for my friends mustang from brake tech that had new ceramic pads and fully dimpled and slotted rotors for 300. Safe to say it was a worthwhile investment since they were amazing! They helped stopping distance and really made a difference in the looks department.

Even if you just replace the rotors, they are only like 300 for front and rear

Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I'm wondering if I'll need new pads, too. Guess they'll tell me tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous about this. Blown through a lot of money recently and my savings are low. Wonder what new pads and turning rotors would be? I'm sure not cheap. Hopefully my dealer can find a way to warranty work this out.
I used this for both front and rear pads, $75 per axle after the $25 debit card rebate. Card came in short order.

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/au...fers/index.jsp

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Got lucky-- the dealer replaced my rotors and put new pads on the rear, but he filed it under a warranty defect

Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
lscamaro

Could u let me know if it made a difference? I might have to go nag them to see if i could get them to do that.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

LS-- it fixed the problem!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
My 2011 is still under B2B warranty, and it's started vibrating hardcore above 70MPH when I hit the brakes (the steering wheel being what is vibrating, not the pedal). Obviously the rotors are warped. He said it could be due to my braking habits, but I'm not hard on my brakes...

Taking it in tomorrow; my dealer said since I've never had brake work done he might be able to figure out a way to submit it under warranty, because I told him rotors should NOT be warping on a new car.

Anyone else had this issue?
Have you or someone else rotated the tires? Uneven or incorrect torquing of the wheels can warp the rotors. It happened to me twice on my HHR.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Have you or someone else rotated the tires? Uneven or incorrect torquing of the wheels can warp the rotors. It happened to me twice on my HHR.
Yes they've been rotated, and just put new ones on the rears.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
warped rotors are one of my biggest fears, regardless of the vehicle i am driving, thanks to owning a brand new 2011 mazda 3 prior to my camaro.

after noticing how tiny the rotors were right after i bought the car, i decided i would always go easy on them and engine brake whenever appropriate, to alleviate as much stress on the rotors as possible.

i made it 1 week less than a year before they were so bad, i could not deal with it any more and i took it into the dealership. they told me i actually lasted longer than most, before having warped rotors. the average is apparently 6 months, according to them, and about 3 months, according the the mazda 3 forums.

after much arguing and making one particular dealership employee's day hell, i finally convinced them to fix the rotors for free and then traded the car in the next day for my camaro.

the rotors on my camaro look enormous in comparison to the ones on that mazda. i hope i never run into the warped rotor issue on my camaro. the 110F+ temps and brutal sun where i live don't help either.

belle, did you notice the vibration soon after getting your tires rotated? uneven torque on the bolts can also cause "pseudo-warped" rotors. i had not rotated the tires once on the mazda, so that ruled out torquing issues.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
I bought the DBA rotors and HPS pads but didnt install them yet. Did a cheap tornor to the rotors and sanding to the stock pads, and the car felt good !