Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
GETBENT

Drives: Black ZL1
Bought it. Love it. But have a wheel question / comment.

So I've had my Z for a few days and it is everything I wanted and lives up to the hype and accompanied price tag...BUT. I seem to be disappointed in the "high" polished wheels. They really look gray on my Z. The face of the individual spokes are nice and polished to nearly a mirror finish but the rest looks matt gray and seems to drown out the polished spokes. I'm not a chrome guy, but I do like polished aluminum and these wheels don't look very bright. Has anyone else had similar issues / thoughts??
GETBENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETBENT View Post
So I've had my Z for a few days and it is everything I wanted and lives up to the hype and accompanied price tag...BUT. I seem to be disappointed in the "high" polished wheels. They really look gray on my Z. The face of the individual spokes are nice and polished to nearly a mirror finish but the rest looks matt gray and seems to drown out the polished spokes. I'm not a chrome guy, but I do like polished aluminum and these wheels don't look very bright. Has anyone else had similar issues / thoughts??
Your wheels were made that way on purpose.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Your wheels were made that way on purpose.
OP understands that, just looking for the entire wheel to be polished, or would prefer it. I say buy aftermarket and sell ZL1's while they are hot, or save them if you want to be able to go back to original (winter tires, or track slicks)

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Could they be polished out? I've seen it done on other cars
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
GETBENT

Drives: Black ZL1
I love the wheel. One of the best designs I've ever seen IMO. Just thought it would be a smidge brighter. And yes, I realize they were made properly.
GETBENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
They look so much better in person than on any pics but I kinda feel the same as you. My Z is black so I'm probably gonna switch to the all black wheels because they look slightly better than the polished wheels on the black Z IMO.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETBENT View Post
I love the wheel. One of the best designs I've ever seen IMO. Just thought it would be a smidge brighter. And yes, I realize they were made properly.
Just the way I read your post. Anyway, good luck polishing the matte finish on those... the matte is actually shotblasted metal with clearcoat. Might be tough to dig down thru. Also, chrome needs big radii to turn out well... so chroming might not be a good option. My thought would be to paint the nonpolished area a contrasting color... will make the polished area pop.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I absolutely love the mix of the polished faces mixed with the rougher finish inside the spokes on the polished wheels. I have them on my car and wouldn't change a thing. I've had factory wheels polished on a car along time ago and they turned out great, but the spokes were round. I don't care for the shiny look any more and wouldn't change anything about them, except for maybe some type of brake dust proof coating.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote