Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Hitting the rev limiter in S Mode?

I have a L99 A6 and when I'm in sport mode and smash the gas I get a lag between shifts. It's almost like it's hitting the rev limiter before it makes the shift.

Anyone else experience this?
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think I know what you're talking about. So say that in S mode that AFM is turned off, but other say that even in S mode AFM is still turned on. So when you smash the accelorator it seems like you get the delay of the transmission kicking down a gear or two, plus the delay of AFM kicking in from 4 cylinders to 8. You can easily tune AFM out and get a transmission tuned too. Which is something i want to do in the future.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
jaysonstuart

No no no, what I'm experiencing is from a dead stop. I dump it to the floor, she takes off like normal but when I get to 2nd or 3rd gear I hit the rev limiter or lose power for a split second between shifts.

It's very noticeable.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Does it sound like the trans/ is slipping when going between gears ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
jaysonstuart

Yeah sorta. Now that I think about it, it might be the traction control or the stabilitrack kicking in.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
yeah turn the nannies off and try it. It could also be the tq management I feel a lag at WOT with the nannies off shifting to 2nd like it kinda falls flat
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I have a Silverado with the L99 auto. I get the same thing and it feels to me like the computer cuts engine power during the gear change. Reduce strain on the tranny?
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
jaysonstuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
I have a Silverado with the L99 auto. I get the same thing and it feels to me like the computer cuts engine power during the gear change. Reduce strain on the tranny?
That's exactly what it feels like.

I'm not a fan of it at all. Guess I'll be buzzing around more often in manual mode!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Get ahold of Ted at JRE and get one of his tunes, he will get rid of the AFM and torque management as well as give your trans tune a massage.

The result will feel like a TOTALLY different car, hard to beleive the difference it makes. Unless your hell bent on keeping your warrantee, I would get a good tune.

When I tuned my L99, it got at least as good of milage as the stock car got with the AFM system operating. Plus it ran like a raped ape in comparision.

I would say its one of several of the nanny systems kicking in at shift points.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
No no no, what I'm experiencing is from a dead stop. I dump it to the floor, she takes off like normal but when I get to 2nd or 3rd gear I hit the rev limiter or lose power for a split second between shifts.

It's very noticeable.
It does.....
The computer (TQMgmt) will cut timing and/or fuel between shifts to reduce the strain on the trans. (Custom Tune can adjust that)

And it does have a rev limiter (and speed limiter by gear).....for auto mode and tap shift mode (can also be adjusted)

One of the reasons the stock tune does this between shifts is for safety.
If you let the computer apply full torque at full throttle: a shift into second or third while turning will really break the back end loose....and you could easily go very sideways (which can get dangerous)
I tuned the second gear shift (auto) way back cuz the car kept stepping out on second gear shifts during a turn from a stop at only 30% throttle. It still does it a little bit....but just to let the people behind me know I got some serious torque in my butt.

Last edited by speedmon; 06-24-2012 at 03:27 PM.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
jaysonstuart

I'd love to get a tune, but I don't even have 1k miles on the car yet!

I was thinking after she rolls over 10k I'll get her tuned.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
speedmon

OK.....you asked the question on why.....
I wasn't suggesting that you get the car tuned....just wanted to let you know there was nothing wrong with you ride....working as designed.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
I'd love to get a tune, but I don't even have 1k miles on the car yet!

I was thinking after she rolls over 10k I'll get her tuned.
Good luck waiting that long, man. I was PM'ing Jannetty for tune before I even hit 1K.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Good luck waiting that long, man. I was PM'ing Jannetty for tune before I even hit 1K.
I know .... the car is so much more fun when its tuned. I think its the cheapest mod with the greatest "fun" value......the difference is just amazing with just a "software" change. And its non-intrusive and easily reversed.....like 60 seconds.