Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Ykmaro

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Wheel wells spraying into engine bay?

Is this normal?! TS Isaac dropped some heavy rains and i wanted to check the intake and i saw water droplets on the inside of the airbox and all over the wheel well liner. Is this any cause for concern because i really do NOT want to hydro-lock my baby :(
Ykmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ykmaro View Post

Is this normal?! TS Isaac dropped some heavy rains and i wanted to check the intake and i saw water droplets on the inside of the airbox and all over the wheel well liner. Is this any cause for concern because i really do NOT want to hydro-lock my baby :(
nope don't worry. Hydrolocking is when you go through a flood and literally water is being sucked in instead of air.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Ykmaro

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
hmmm so i guess a few drops wont harm it
Ykmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ykmaro View Post
hmmm so i guess a few drops wont harm it
not at all

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
as ihaveacamaro said, no worries.

But I have to asks, did you have the cover off while driving (cause that's what is looks like). I drove though some pretty big puddles this morning from Isaac and I did not have anywhere near that amount of water, although there was some. I have a scoop and washer relocation kit, maybe the stock washer actually makes it kick up more.

Last edited by nyrfan; 08-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Weird that this thread shows up just now. I was just about to start one with a wheel well question. I was washing my Ruby this weekend & noticed that the passenger side front wheel well is loose in the area foward of the spring & that the one on the driver's side is not. There is about a half inch of wiggle from where is rests when untouched to when you press it up against the metal. The one on the driver's side is tight up against the metal. Has something come loose? I guess it would not be a huge problem but at least a rattle & maybe left unchecked get worse??????? Or am I making too much of it?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Weird that this thread shows up just now. I was just about to start one with a wheel well question. I was washing my Ruby this weekend & noticed that the passenger side front wheel well is loose in the area foward of the spring & that the one on the driver's side is not. There is about a half inch of wiggle from where is rests when untouched to when you press it up against the metal. The one on the driver's side is tight up against the metal. Has something come loose? I guess it would not be a huge problem but at least a rattle & maybe left unchecked get worse??????? Or am I making too much of it?
I'm pretty sure I've noticed this on mine, not really worried about it.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Mine is the same way, and I have a stock air box. I opened up the hood to clean up the engine bay a little bit before a car cruise-in, and those areas on both sides were incredibly filthy (the car was barely 2 months old at the time).
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
You can buy a hydroshield for your air filter if you're that worried. It's like a nylon sock that fits over the air filter and is water resistant.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
yeah, think of the air here in new orleans being like 100% humidity, we dont have issues, and thats the equivalent of someone in arizona probably dumping a cup of water on their filter lol
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Ruby, mine's the same way...lol...passenger side. I think it's just a loose fit with those "scrivets"....I was thinking of adding just one more sheet metal screw...no biggie
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
yeah, think of the air here in new orleans being like 100% humidity, we dont have issues, and thats the equivalent of someone in arizona probably dumping a cup of water on their filter lol
Stay safe, and keep that thing high and dry this week vroom - I lived in Gulfport during Katrina. Got plenty pics of cars floating around...
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
To the OP -- some spray is okay. As noted, hydro-locking the motor occurs when the intake is submerged.

Quote:
I'd check the plastic pop rivets/screws (also called scrivets) and make sure they're all seated tightly. Shine a flashlight up in there to see where they're located. If one of two have worked loose, you can sometimes push them back in, or you can buy new ones if they've been weakened. There's also some "DIY" fixes for these, but it's better to just buy new ones.

A lose splash guard/apron inside the fender well can spell trouble for some vehicles. Chrysler issued a recall for '07-'12 Wranglers because of this very issue. The apron wasn't seated securely, and the edge of that big piece of plastic was coming down to rest on the brake lines and, in some cases, wearing the line enough to cause a leak. If it's a little loose, I wouldn't be too worried, but if it's sagging down at all, make sure it's not resting on, or vibrating against any important components.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Thanks. I'll check on that.