Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Installed Borla Type-S Axleback on My L99.

I ordered and just had my axleback installed on my L99,

I see it is not 100% the same length out, (the right exhaust is about 1 inch inner than the left exhaust) I insisted that they are exactly identical but the shop told me that they are hard to configure because the pipes coming from the center resonator are hard to deal with. Is this true or did they clamp them wrong or cut them at different places? How should I deal with this?

Otherwise, I love the sound, I just wish I won't have to get up everyday and look at it and notice something's wrong with it. I'll post a photo in a second. The sound is not as loud as I thought it would be, but I realize this is because it's only an axle back and the central resonators are huge on the L99, but I'll upgrade when I've got the money.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I installed them at a Midas and they charged me an hour and a half labor ($125).

Last edited by VAbdul; 09-04-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: midas, exhaust, borla, type-s,
VAbdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I got the Borla S on my L99 as well. It's because they either cut that one side shorter then the other or because they pushed that one side in farther either way it's an easy fix as I did the same to mine. Mine was even but was too far in for my taste.

You only need two tools (a wrench, I don't remember the size, and a rubber mallet) and unless you're fat you can reach the two bolts clamping the mufflers without needing to raise the car. Just loosen the clamps and use the rubber mallet to tap the mufflers until they are even.

I would start with the one that is in too far in. Tap it out until you see the end of the stock tubing through the slits in the Borla then tap it back inwards until you can no longer see the end, make sure there is some overlap so you don't have an exhaust leak. If this side isn't where you want it then you'll have to move the other side to make them even. Before tightening the clamps back check for alignment and make they are centered in the diffuser or you will melt your car. I adjusted mine in 10-15 mins.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
I installed mine myself. When I got it down from the lift I noticed one was a little off. I loosened up the clamp and wrenched on it a bit. I figured out the problem was because I didn't cut the pipe as square on one side as the other.