Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
nickhit2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
"Clicking Noise" in 1st Gear & Reverse (2012 1SS LS3)

I have a 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3 M6 Camaro that has been experiencing "clicking" noises from the vehicle. The sound is heard, when I roll down the windows, as I am either backing up/reversing or going forward in 1st Gear. It's usually more prevelant after a dead stop to motion. I rarely hear the noise after getting into 2nd Gear.

At first, it sound like the front of the car, but now it's like I hear the noise start at the Driver Front tire, move to the Passenger Front Tire, and then I hear the back wheels make the sound. I've tried recording it with my phone, but it rarely picks the noise up. The Chevy dealership near me can't figure it out and hasn't been able to reproduce the sound once I'm there.

I've done some searching on the forums here, and some people say the noise could be related to the splines on the rear axles, but I also hear the noise in the front. There is no "jerky" motion, just the sound. Car has been garage kept at home and at work for 3 years now. The sound has been around for about 6 months.

Any ideas?
nickhit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
so is it 2010 or 2012? you wrote up top 2012 1ss
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
caligrown562

Drives: 2012 1SS
have you checked the lug nuts? my 2012 had a similar noise and ended up being all 4 wheels were loose
caligrown562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhit2 View Post
I have a 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3 M6 Camaro that has been experiencing "clicking" noises from the vehicle. The sound is heard, when I roll down the windows, as I am either backing up/reversing or going forward in 1st Gear. It's usually more prevelant after a dead stop to motion. I rarely hear the noise after getting into 2nd Gear.

At first, it sound like the front of the car, but now it's like I hear the noise start at the Driver Front tire, move to the Passenger Front Tire, and then I hear the back wheels make the sound. I've tried recording it with my phone, but it rarely picks the noise up. The Chevy dealership near me can't figure it out and hasn't been able to reproduce the sound once I'm there.

I've done some searching on the forums here, and some people say the noise could be related to the splines on the rear axles, but I also hear the noise in the front. There is no "jerky" motion, just the sound. Car has been garage kept at home and at work for 3 years now. The sound has been around for about 6 months.

Any ideas?
I apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing. If you would like me to do more research, please feel free to contact me via PM and provide me with your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership. I look forward to your reply!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Rornls3

Drives: 2010 RJTC 2SS RS/SS LS3
I have the same noise with my 2010 m6. I hear it when 1st grabs and when 2nd and reverse gear engage too. I also hear the sound when I let off the gas in 1st gear. It's really annoying and you can hear it pretty clearly. I haven't taken it to the dealership, but with 39,xxx miles, will they do anything under warranty anyway?
Rornls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rornls3 View Post
I have the same noise with my 2010 m6. I hear it when 1st grabs and when 2nd and reverse gear engage too. I also hear the sound when I let off the gas in 1st gear. It's really annoying and you can hear it pretty clearly. I haven't taken it to the dealership, but with 39,xxx miles, will they do anything under warranty anyway?
I would highly recommend taking it to a dealership for a diagnosis and see if they can address the issue for you. After this, please let us know if they were able to do anything for you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Rornls3

Drives: 2010 RJTC 2SS RS/SS LS3
Exclamation

Good stuff. Dropped her off at my local dealer Courtesy Chevrolet and they checked out my 40k mile SS/RS and said they ordered a spacer for the driveline? Which shouldf fix the clicking... I will get detailed info on what exactly they are talking about and what they did.

With my very small oil leak too, i asked if they could find where the leak was coming from and if it was covered. He said the oil filter housing and the oil pan were leaking oil and that it was a big job. I should have my car sometime this week...

The most important question was answered YES. It is all covered by Chevrolet. Very cool.
Rornls3 is offline   Reply With Quote